Jakks Pacific 31" Stormtrooper to Sandtrooper Quick and Easy Custom

sweartoeric

Hey guys,

This is just a real quick, 1 hour project. I bought one of Jakks Pacific's giant Stormtroopers from Toy R Us, because, well.. It's a giant Stormtrooper. No justification needed. The scale is a bit wonky. Helmet is a bit small, blaster is enormous, and the shoulders are pretty large as well. But, for 29 bucks, still a cool piece.
starwars01.jpg

I thought it might make a better looking display piece as a Sandtrooper. Now, I'm obviously not going for any sort of screen accuracy here - but here's the finished result. Weathered the armor; first with a wash to bring out some of the detail in the sculpt and give it that nice, crummy look. Then hit it with some "sand" from the rattle can. The pauldron is actually just a printed version of this template on some thin, black plastic.
paldron.jpg
I gave him some non-sa black pouches and such, one on the belt and one by the pauldron. These were made with material that was lying around the house, some plastic and leather bits. the eye lenses were given a green hue, and viola: one Sandtrooper!
20150621_124916.jpg

Man, that looks awesome! I can't find any TK's locally. They only seem to have the Rebels version. How did you print on plastic?

Re: Jakks Pacific 31" Stormtrooper to Sandtrooper Quick and Easy Custom

Mean Obiwan, I'd love to see pics! Clear lenses? That's awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

mugatu,

I actually printed on photo paper and glued to the plastic backing.

Here's mine. I guess yours is a Rebels version and mine is a regular TK. Huh.
Here he stands. I noticed parts of him were not painted black where his under suit would be, so I corrected that

pc screenshot

Here's the see through lenses, made by taping auto window tint in place

free photo hosting

hosting images

Not an accurate green, but still cool
Button colors corrected

free photo hosting

Only the tops of his hand guards were painted white, so that bothered me, painted the sides

image hosting over 10mb

Fabric elastic belt

pc screenshot

And the black outlining on all of the grey parts

image hosting 30 mb

And added an extra "tooth" to the ends of the frown to make him look more like a stunt TK over a hero

upload pictures free

I really like your sand trooper though. Almost makes me want to steal the idea being that I've always preferred sandys over regular TK's.

Thanks for the compliments! Glad you guys like him. I didn't realize there were two versions either, I like the Rebels one too, especially as a sand trooper. Think I might steal that idea XD

Very cool conversion. Wish the animated ones were coming with animated armors too. I own one with classic helmet. Here is a review i did of it, I modded it a bit too.

I'm a huge Stormie fan so I had to have this JAKKS Pacific's Giant Size Star Wars 31" Stormtrooper figure. The helmet is a bit too small, but so is in 90% of other collectibles, including high end Stormtrooper figures, mini-busts or statues. You barely notice that when you have it in hand(s) IMO. My issue when I got it was related to the helmet, which was made from a different material (PVC most likely) than the body (ABS), and thus not as shiny as the body armor. So I knew I had to do something about it: I decided to add a few layers of clear lacquer to it, and what an excellent idea that was!

It is easy to do it. Just need a cloth or an old t-shirt to cover the rest of the body and tighten it at the neck, clean up the helmet a bit (not to have dust on it), then simply spray some clear/transparent lacquer over the helmet 2-3 times - I used clear car lacquer in spray can. After each spraying you need to let the lacquer cure for about 30 minutes, then spray it again until the helmet shines. The helmet itself is somewhat porous, so the lacquer adheres to it without any problem, and becomes shiny.

I accurized the helmet a bit more by adding the black ear stripe/bar (wish I could redo the blue tubing stripes too - that could prove too complicated needing full helmet repaint), and repainted 3 of the ab buttons blue like in the movies, but for the regular fan these are not a must, the figure looks just fine.

This figure is big, about 80 cm in height, and it really looks awesome, especially if you modded the helmet as said above. There are a few more minor issues like the visible screws in the back, or the blaster which is not too accurate (it has some very accurate parts but others are not), but I realize why the collectors who got the clones and Vader so far are so enthusiastic about them.

This might be a toy, but it is VERY impressive in person, and for around $40 NOTHING beats it! If I knew how cool this was I would have paid double price easy. It has the presence of a statue and not of a simple figure.

In the end the Jakks Stormtrooper is FANTASTIC! Kids and adults will love it

Pros:

- excellent price
- huge size
- reasonable accuracy for its price and size
- very impressive in person, looks more like a statue than a simple figure
- pretty sturdy and stable on its own
- helmet sculpt better than high end statues or figures

Cons:

- helmet is made of porous flat PVC, while the armor is shiny ABS - though this can be easily fixed as already said above, by spraying clear lacquer on the helmet - helmet being porous helps the lacquer adhere well, and this makes the helmet very shiny in the end
- visible screws in the back of the figure
- lack of complex articulation
- helmet a tad too small - but this unfortunate feature is present on high end figures or statues too
- helmet blue stripes placed too low
- blaster could have been a bit more accurate, but not a big deal IMO

JAKKS Stormtrooper giant figure 04.jpg JAKKS Stormtrooper giant figure 05.jpg JAKKS Stormtrooper giant figure 11.jpg

Oh yeah, the shine on the helmet looks great. Good idea. The tube stripes bother me as well, but as you said, I'm not sure how to fix it without repainting the whole thing.
The lenses were flat black too, that's why I cut them out and replaced them. Also did the ab buttons too.
I agree though, it's a very nice addition to any collection. Mine has brought out more conversion from guests than even my fancier props, oddly.

DSC_3902.jpgDSC_3910.jpgDSC_3913.jpgDSC_4023.jpgDSC_4049.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

comments and questions welcome....still can't figure how to get the pics the right way round..

btw..they are still works in progressDSC_3266.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

btw..they are still works in progressDSC_3266.jpg

great idea to turn it into Sandtrooper, mine too I started to change the beginning with the eyes.

2015-07-13_15-15-24_262.jpg

top tip...
wet sand the helmet with 1000 grit to remove tube stripes and make the rest of the helmet smooth...it looks better even before you gloss it..
also noticed the trooper that stuns princess leia in a new hope doesn't have any tube stripes at all..

a little update on one of my troopers
glossed the helmet over new cheek decals and it looked so shiny i had to do the whole body.
still a slow work in progress like everything i do .:DDSC_4872.jpgDSC_4871.jpgDSC_4870.jpg

Just bought myself one of these and the Vader as a Chinese New Year present (well any excuse)....they will scare the crap out of my cleaning lady!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back