Jablite - Expanded Polystyrene (Styrofoam)

marshon

Hay guys,

Hoping someone might have tried using this ......

I have a load of Jablite left over from a building job, some of the pieces are 4" thick. I have found the stuff easy to shape and carve with knives and a hot wire cutter. The only problem with using it for projects (such as a backpack) is sealing the surface and 'filling' the cell structure in. Foam-Coat is WAY too expensive for such a simple task.

I've tried up to 20 coats of PVA which seals the surface OK but won't fill the cell structure in. I have gallons of PVA available, but I need some sort of filler additive for the PVA to thicken its filling properties. Simply filing the surface with a plaster mix starts to crack off almost immediately.

I've thought of adding PVA to water and mixing up some dental plaster but I've been told that it weakens the plaster. Has anyone used an inert filler with PVA, such as Fillite?

Seems a shame not to be able to use up the stuff. Standard Polyurethane resins just melt it, and Easy-Flo 120 is very difficult to find in the UK, although I have been told that it will coat Styrofoam without melting the surface. Any advise would be cool.

Si

Hi mate, easyflo 120 is available from Mouldlife, I'm not sure what amount you'll have to buy, according to their website their starter kit is out of stock, give them a call, if you speak to their technical department they might be able to advise you.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back