I've got some good finds (prop replica related)

CB2001

Master Member
To quote Robert Downley Jr.'s portrayal of Barris from A Scanner Darkly, "Total, total, total, totally, total, total... total providence!"

I say this because I went to a nearby flea market and hit on three different found items that are potentially replicas of items in film and TV. I'll get pictures of these up soon, but here are the items I found.

The first is a recognizable item from the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica TV series, as well as its spin-off Caprica: The Joseph Adama lighter! That's right. I found a No. 100 Chrome, Regens Lighter, PAT. NO. 1896140. The same model and make as the lighter used for the Joseph Adama lighter in both the shows! I got it for only $5! For those who are not familiar with the lighter, here's the info from Future-Past: Future-Past.com - Joseph Adama's Lighter

I've been doing some thinking on it, though I know that the lighter has an engraving on it for the name Joseph Adama, I think I may end up doing a clear decal with the Joseph Adama name on it to attach to the lighter (the reason for that is the fact that it is an antique lighter and getting the engraving may depreciate the value) or possibly making a mold of the lighter and make a resin copy and get that engraved instead. But that was the first item on the list I picked up.

The second item, though probably not a big demand of replicas on, is an LP that was featured in the movie Almost Famous. It is the Simon and Garfunkel album Bookends. For those who remember its appearance in the Cameron Crow film, it was during the scene were Frances McDormand's character says that Simon and Garfunkel's music was about drugs and sex, going as far as to point out that "they're on pot" on the cover. Got it for only 50 cents. Here's the scene I'm talking about: YouTube - ‪Wait. You've been kissing.‬‏

Mine is a bit worn on the sides, but still, the record is in pretty good condition. And, I've come to realize I also have Led Zeppelin II, which also appears after the above mentioned scene.

The third item I picked up is from a lesser known kung-fu movie called Silver Hawk, starring Michelle Yeoh which came out in 2004 (it was one year before she did Memoirs of a Geisha). Anyways, the item I picked up was a Nokia N-Gage, which was on the market as a cellphone that appeals to the gaming crowd. Though the N-Gage didn't do well, the film Silver Hawk features a white one that belongs to a hacker character. The one I've got is gunmetal gray, but I am sure I can repaint the covers to match the in-film item. Below is an attached picture of the N-Gage from the film. The woman I bought it from wanted $15 for it originally, but I talked her down to $5.

I've got to admit, these are some good finds in one day. It's not as cool as finding the model of the U.S.S. Reliant from Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (which I picked up for $10 with the original asking price being $20), but its still pretty good finds nonetheless. :D

Last edited:
Here's the pictures of the items (not great pictures like the ones in my props post, but temporary ones to show off the items).

The Lighter:
attachment.php

The N-Gage:
attachment.php

The "They're on Pot" Simon and Garfunkel album:
attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice, you gotta love when that happens.

Unfortunately, I tend to remember the items I LOST/MISSED OUT ON rather than the ones I win. :lol

Nice, you gotta love when that happens.

Unfortunately, I tend to remember the items I LOST/MISSED OUT ON rather than the ones I win. :lol

Yeah, I'm beginning to do more of the "not really looking for anything and end up coming across something" method a lot more. Even more so since I found my White Whale in the same manner.

Nice finds!
You actually got me inspired with the BSG goods, so I went and picked up a lighter on e-bay. I plan on also printing up some water slide decals to put on the bottom of the lighter.

That was so much fun that I went ahead and scored a pair of Motorola HT 220's, an Astro Extractor removal tool, and some black rubber corrugated mat.

Thanks for the sudden inspiration!

Nice finds!
You actually got me inspired with the BSG goods, so I went and picked up a lighter on e-bay. I plan on also printing up some water slide decals to put on the bottom of the lighter.

That was so much fun that I went ahead and scored a pair of Motorola HT 220's, an Astro Extractor removal tool, and some black rubber corrugated mat.

Thanks for the sudden inspiration!

You're very much welcome. So say we all! :D

Just a lil update on what your thread made me do. It's not entirely accurate but i'm happy with it; gotta love $5.00 props. Water slide decals are freaking awesome.

ive-got-some-good-finds-prop-replica-related-adamalighter.jpg-57938d1309575747

Just a lil update on what your thread made me do. It's not entirely accurate but i'm happy with it; gotta love $5.00 props. Water slide decals are freaking awesome.

ive-got-some-good-finds-prop-replica-related-adamalighter.jpg-57938d1309575747

Wicked awesome, dude! Granted, yours has the grove design, but its still a decent replica you've got. So, question: Did you get yours engraved or is it a decal?

Thanks man! It's just a simple decal I whipped up. I know it's inaccurate but if you want the vector file it's yours.

Here's what I used. I think if I scaled it a little smaller it'd match the screen used prop a bit better.

View attachment 57951

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that. The decal that you used, it looks so seamless. Is it the waterbased clear decal paper you used or another type?

Yulp. It's laserjet decal paper, so I just load it up in the printer, hit print, and apply. No messing with sealers or anything of the sort like with inkjet decal paper. If you cut it close enough, sometimes it's hard to tell it's a decal!

Yulp. It's laserjet decal paper, so I just load it up in the printer, hit print, and apply. No messing with sealers or anything of the sort like with inkjet decal paper. If you cut it close enough, sometimes it's hard to tell it's a decal!

Thanks for the info. It'd probably be the easiest method (if not the cheapest). Unfortunately, so far, I only have an inkjet. I'm sure I'll figure out something.

I've actually done some thinking about doing a mold and making a resin copy, so to start getting use to making molds and copies (seriously, I'm going to have to scratch build a prop replica sooner or later and start learning many methods of how to do so). Granted, at the current time, with the move and the lack of a job to pay for materials, it'll be sometime later.

Looks great. I can't tell it is a decal at all. Did you cut out around the letters or is the decal the size of the part of the lighter you put it on?

Also, can you let us know what decal paper you used?

I would love to try this.

Thanks,
DBCooper

Here' s a little update about the lighter. Thanks to epilepticsquirl, he sent me some laser waterslide decals of the text. I received it today and got the shot. I originally started out with the smallest one (as it was closer to the size of the text on the screencap take from the BSG episode "Hand of God"). However, when I was applying it, the decal slipped and torn on me due to a hiccup on my part. So, I went to the next one up, which was a medium size decal (which is now on the lighter). Though with the naked eye, you can see its a waterslide decal (probably my fault, as I've never been good at applying decals to make them blend with the item attached), but with the right lighting, it looks pretty dang good and like a real engraving. Here's a shot.

Again, I'd like to say thanks to epilepticsquirl, for helping me out. :D

attachment.php

looks great man! Glad you like em. Hopefully it'll hold you over till something better comes along. :)

Thanks. And I definitely like them and I've got a feeling it'll hold me over for a while. Can't wait to actually create a display case featuring all my prop stuff. This would definitely be one of the centerpieces. :D

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back