Ive been recast, edited

replicaprops

Official Licensee
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZholykrap

This guy recast a item I made and when I called him on it, and told him how I knew he recast me, he photo shopped the image to look different than my item.

EDIT: The other item I thought might be also a recast may infact be his own. So I have removed the accusation of this. However, he still has recast my work.

I got the typical response from him and he refuses to live by our rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Lawgiver@Apr 4 2006, 10:38 AM
Can we see the evidence that he recast something?
[snapback]1219657[/snapback]​
A couple weeks ago he listed a smallville key. The photo he had up is this one
resize.jpg
here is the current photo he is using
resize1.jpg

I contacted him and told him he was recasting my key because I recognized a design feature in the hope symbol that was unique to my design. He then reposted the auction with the same photo and the photo had the hope symbol as well as the EL symbol altered. What he did is stretch the symbol out because I told him in the hope symbol that I had made the large circle was not perfectly round and was wider than long.
He told me he had bought the mold from someone pre made. I told him to stop, and he said he would go out and get it laser engraved to shut me up.

After I sent him the initial email, this was his reply

"Hello,
How am I selling copies of "your" key? I just traded a gentleman my freddy glove for his mold last Wednesday or thursday. I make these using resin and paint them myself. I'm also getting ready to make clear keys which I also know are not copies of your key. I don't think it was right emailing and putting blame on me for selling copies of your key. Have a great day."

I then gave him the typical recasting is bad speach and he replied

"Hello,
Are the other sellers on ebay making the keys stealing from you too? I guess everyone must do a little something to their keys to make sure they don't look like yours. I'm in the process right now to solve this silly problem. I will redo this key and go to the town next to me and have it laser engraved so I wont hear any complaints from you or anyone else. I think it's silly for people to complain just because someone else starts selling an item that similar to what they're selling. You can look at my past auctions and ask anyone that has purchased from me and that if i've stolen someones work. When this auction ends you will no longer see a key that "looks" like yours. "

So by looking at his current auction you can see he has simply photoshopped the image and has not gone and made the laser engraved version he said he would.
There are other dealers selling this item and we happen to get along fine. I never have a problem with competition.

I am a member of another board were the person in question is a member, he is not a member here and so cannot defend himself, i don't see any recasting, i have seen pics of his sculpt for the goonies key and he is understandebly upset about being 'called out' and not being able to defend himself.
I can post pics of his sculpt if need be, but if all it does is get the old clay press suggestions going then i won't bother

Originally posted by frosty@Apr 4 2006, 02:44 PM
I am a member of another board were the person in question is  a member, he is not a member here and so cannot defend himself
[snapback]1219807[/snapback]​

Well didn't registration just open up?

Berry

:angry so he did not recast someones work on here but did recast a piece of metal with some etching in.
I don't see it myself, if i was calling someone a recaster i would have my facts straight before saying so.

If you made those markings by hand on that key I can see every imperfection in the design that are carried over, except for one....

T

I had the Key photo etched from artwork I did in AI. The key he is selling was definitly molded from one of mine, I know my own work. I don't think I need to sit here and debate with everyone.

My intention was to stop a recaster from getting out of hand and protect people on the RPF. It was not to start wars. If you all don't care about being recast, then fine.

I have never called out a recaster in public to this date. I think those who know me here would consider me to be fair and honest. I would not have called him a recaster if I was not 100% sure he was stealing my work.

I find it disturbing that no one cares about this issue.

Hello Darthscifi,

I can see the difference and totally appreciate you bringing this to everyone's attention, Unfortunately the current status of the RPF has really gone down the tubes. IT seems as time goes on Recasting is not only the norm but is getting to the point of an acceptable practice since some feel it wasnt your "original" idea to begin with or if supply for something is not being met by the original artisan its okey dokey to recast in order to meet this demand. Its all sad but True and BTW Great job on the krypo necklace I hooked up with. My G.F. Loves it :):):):)

Lance
TR2640

Originally posted by darthscifi@Apr 4 2006, 07:27 PM
I had the Key photo etched from artwork I did in AI. The key he is selling was definitly molded from one of mine, I know my own work. I don't think I need to sit here and debate with everyone.

My intention was to stop a recaster from getting out of hand and protect people on the RPF. It was not to start wars. If you all don't care about being recast, then fine.

I have never called out a recaster in public to this date. I think those who know me here would consider me to be fair and honest. I would not have called him a recaster if I was not 100% sure he was stealing my work.

I find it disturbing that no one cares about this issue.
[snapback]1219945[/snapback]​

I'm pretty much against recasting myself, and usually if there IS an accusation of recasting made here, I'll amuse myself by emailing the seller and asking for some extra pics of the item.
Normally, the reply is along the lines of "Sorry, my camera is broken".

This time, the guy mailed me 6 photos of the sculpt - From the same set shown above.
Not 100% conclusive that it's NOT a recast, but I'd say there are enough small differences that any accusation WOULD need more evidence behind it...

I did not say i was not against recasting, i said that you needed to have solid evidence before saying he had recast the key.
I do not see the reason in going to all the effort of casting a piece of metal with etching in, what would be the point? too many times people jump on someone as a recaster without proper proof, and when they are not members and cannot defend themselves i feel it is unfair.
I am not saying your work is no good by the way, i am saying could he not have just come up with something similar to yours.

I'm a little confused, we are talking about the eightangular Smallville item shown in post 3 right? How different can such apparently simple pieces be if they are based on a screen used prop? I'm just asking...

After a brief search on google images I can see why darthscifi believes the item to be recast.

The screen-shots show slightly diffent character sizes and shapes. Whereas the two shots darth show look almost identical including a couple of minute slips & thickness differences.

I think the reason people aren't jumping around shaking their fists is because the prop does look comparatively simple as it's basically an octagon with small sympols inscribed.

I think it's a shame, some of the smallest pieces I've made have taken the longest to make.

I have keys from up to 8 different makers. None of them are exactly the same. There are always shifts in position to the edges, position to the other symbols, and shapes of the characters used. The one from the origional auction is definitely Rob's, no ifs ands or buts.

What other board is this auctioner on? btw.

Originally posted by Blad@Apr 5 2006, 08:10 AM
I think the reason people aren't jumping around shaking their fists is because the prop does look comparatively simple...
[snapback]1220303[/snapback]​

And all this time I thought it was because we've had enough drama lately... :lol

Thanks for the heads up.

Originally posted by Gytheran+Apr 5 2006, 03:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gytheran @ Apr 5 2006, 03:20 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Blad
@Apr 5 2006, 08:10 AM
I think the reason people aren't jumping around shaking their fists is because the prop does look comparatively simple...
[snapback]1220303[/snapback]​

And all this time I thought it was because we've had enough drama lately... :lol

Thanks for the heads up.
[snapback]1220337[/snapback]​
[/b]

You're welcome - glad to be of service.

Anything else I can do for anyone today?

Ah, that makes sense. Would love to see pictures of the same item made by different artisans. That could be so cool and will definitely show me how different such apparently "simple" items can be.

Cheers and thanks for the heads up.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back