It's HE-EEE-RRR-E!! Star Wars Blu Ray set!

Stormtrooper

Well I had to check my calender, in case I had overslept, and woke up on Monday 12th September (the official UK release date for the SW Blu Rays)
Cos the postie deposited this on my front door step at approx 12:15pm this afternoon:

View attachment 67201

Woo-hoo!! I've been waiting a LONG time for this, and had it pre-ordered since July. I guess it just goes to show that 'Every Little Helps' when dealing with this supermarket's Entertainment division ;) ( a not-so-subtle clue to our UK members as to who I pre-ordered the set from ;))

So, being a lifelong Star Wars fan, I should be ecstatically happy, and presumably going to spend the next 72 hours watching Hi-Def Star Wars... right?!
Hhhmmmmm..... perhaps not, as it seems Sod's Law has well and truly struck - my ruddy Blu Ray player has started playing 'silly beggars' and refuses to eject the 'The Grifters' Blu Ray that's lodged inside it :cry
Every button press on the Sony BD-S350 player or it's remote, registers as 'Play' (cos the little Play icon appears on screen) but the player is stuck on The Grifters' menu page. AAAARRRGGGHHH!

I don't have access to any other Blu Ray players, and I don't have a PS3.... however my laptop PC does have a Blu Ray drive and HDMI port, so hopefully I'll be able to download a Blu Ray playback software, and I'll be able to start my Star Wars view-fest this evening :love (fingers crossed!)

So do I win a prize for the first recipient of the Star Wars Blu Rays on the RPF??? :lol

Please everyone... wait until I get my playback solution sorted before unleashing an avalanche of questions and screen-cap requests! LOL

Cheers,
John "Mutter, mutter, mutter.... not fair... wish HD-DVD had won the HD disc war... my Toshiba HD-DVD player's working FLAWLESSLY!" :lol

Hhhmmmmm..... perhaps not, as it seems Sod's Law has well and truly struck - my ruddy Blu Ray player has started playing 'silly beggars' and refuses to eject the 'The Grifters' Blu Ray that's lodged inside it :cry
Every button press on the Sony BD-S350 player or it's remote, registers as 'Play' (cos the little Play icon appears on screen) but the player is stuck on The Grifters' menu page. AAAARRRGGGHHH!

Or could it just be that your bluray player is an "original release purist" and simply doesn't want to cooperate? :p :behave Sorry, I couldn't resist making the easy joke. I really do hope you get it figured out - I know it sucks to get something like that that you're excited about and then hit a technical snag!

My Sony BDP freaked out on me once and completely locked up. It finally started behaving after I unplugged it for a few seconds.

My Sony BDP freaked out on me once and completely locked up. It finally started behaving after I unplugged it for a few seconds.
That's usually a good fix for most systems like that. When you turn it back on, just start hitting the eject button until it gives you the disc.

Could be worse.. my old PS3 died with a disc still inside. I was able to get it working again, otherwise I would have had to dismantle the drive to get it out. Slot-loading: Not the best idea for something like this.

Please let us know when you get the update disc that replaces Alec Guiness in ANH with a CGI'd version of an elderly Ewan McGregor. After all, that's what Lucas always envisioned.

It looks like all the discs are in the one "binder." Sure makes it look cumbersome and prone to heavy wear and tear that way.

Some people have been ordering the UK version just for the packaging: digipak instead of cardboard sleeves.

(But then you have to put up with those big ugly ratings certificate letters... ;) )

Maybe now we can get a definitive list of what's been changed. I'm dying to find out what's been altered and what has been internet rumor.

"Look who's here guys! Look who's here!"
Spock At The Star Wars Attack Of The Clones Line - YouTube
SpockTriumph.jpg

:lol

I used to love Star Wars, but grew tired of all of George's repackaging's and tweaks. Gonna spend my money on the Jurassic Park Blu-Rays instead in a month.

Whew... downloaded the 30-day trial of PowerDVD 11, and after lots of cussin' and shouting trying to get my laptop to output a resolution that my LCD TV liked (and actually filled the screen) it was all systems go...

I've only watched ANH so far... plan on seeing TESB tomorrow night (Saturday) and ROTJ on Sunday.
The image quality is absolutely fantastic :thumbsup Not noticeable different from the HD recordings I already had from Sky satellite, but for anyone who has only seen the SW OT movies on standard definition broadcast TV or laserdisc, you're in for an absolute TREAT :)
I've seen all 3 OT movies on Sky HD before, and my favourite scene remains the opening Tantive IV scene in ANH - the detail you see in HD on Threepio and Artoo is one of the best adverts I've seen for High Definition. :love
And the Blu Ray of ANH is no different... lovely picture quality throughout the whole movie, and would probably look better than my Sky HD version if it was viewed on a 65" plasma TV or on a 12ft or 13ft home cinema projection screen... chance would be a fine thing! LOL

As for the rumoured 'changes' - well I've only seen ANH so far, and Yes, Obi-Wan's Krayt Dragon roar to scare off the Tusken Raiders has indeed changed. But it didn't sound silly or out of place to me, so IMO it's no biggie.
Strangely I think George has tried to redeem himself with the 'Han vs Greedo' shootout in the Cantina. I reckon they've rejigged the scene again so there's LESS time between Greedo shooting and then Han shooting. I only watched it once cos I didn't have the luxury of a remote control to rewind the scene with etc..... BUT I really believe that there's only a split second between Greedo shooting and then Han shooting, and the scene doesn't look as silly as I remember it from the DVD release, where Greedo's laser blast seemed to travel at a really weird angle and it was painfully obvious that the effect had been added digitally at a later date.
Sorry I can't say that the scene has been put back to the version all of us purists knew and loved, but I reckon it's a lot better now than the Special Edition hotch-potch. :unsure

The disc that gets my vote for being the best (so far) is the Disc Two Special Features disc. I paid £67 for this Complete Saga 9 disc set, but I would easily pay the same again if it was for just the OT Special Features disc - it really is *that* good. :cool
The deleted / extended scenes include the Tatooine toshe station scene with Biggs and friends, the famous Wampa in the Rebel base on Hoth scene that we're familiar with and the ROTJ Tatooine sandstorm scene where the heroes regroup back at the Falcon and X-Wing after escaping from Jabba.
My vote goes to the extended shield generator bunker raid from ROTJ, which is a bloodbath for the poor stormtroopers inside! Althoughthere isn't finished dialogue or laser blasts in the cut scene, the sheer amount of stormtrooper actors who die at the hands of Han and the Rebel commandoes is amazing... there are like 2 or 3 explosive squibs going off where the Rebels are aiming their blasters, and 5 or 6 stormtroopers keel over dead! LOL

This OT Special Features disc also contains some amazing behind the scenes look at props and costumes, including the fallen AT-AT model from TESB, Boushh costume, Leia Slave costume :love :love, Biker Scout costume, Shuttle Tyderium closeup, Snowspeeder model closeup, AT-ST model closeup etc.
My only complaint is that there isn't any comparable stuff featuring Darth Vader, Boba Fett or the Stormtrooper costumes :unsure

I'm also looking forward to seeing the 'Making of' documentaries that have been released before, but I've only seen them at VHS picture quality - The Making of Star Wars, SPFX : The Making of TESB and Classic Creatures : The Making of ROTJ.

So my verdict so far is that it is money very well spent, with an Extras disc that is as close to what an RPF'er would create if given free reign at the Lucasfilm Archives. It's really good to have a copy of each of the 3 OT movies in HD video and sound, in case my 4-year old satellite TV Hard Drive backup fails :)
Hopefully TESB and ROTJ don't hold any nasty surprises for me... LOL

Cheers,
John
john@manicminer.plus.com

Well

Sounds like your player did the honorable thing and committed hari-kari.

At any rate, did you try pulling the power completely? Sometimes my Sony BDP-S360 loses it's mind and I have to unplug it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back