It's Chrome, Baby!

Tan Djarka

Sr Member
If you're anything like me and want to make a metal saber, particularly a Graflex style design, you're probably going to foul up the chrome surface everywhere trying to create all those cuts and holes. It seems to me the simple solution would be to fabricate the main tube out of plastic and apply some sort of chrome finish.

For the average hardware saber, having it professionally chromed is probably prohibitively expensive.While some have created near flawless metal finishes with paint and/or Rub-N-Buff products, it seems like they wouldn't fare well with continuous handling.

In the past I've used sheets of 6x24" mylar film intended for the RC car and plane market, with mixed results. While it's perfect for the chrome tape on a Graflex clamp, applied to the main tube it's less than ideal. First, it's only wide enough to wrap around a tube 1.25" in diameter. Additionally, it's thickness makes seams and overlaps fairly obvious.

Well, recently I found a perfect solution! Underlayment tape used to seal the vapor barrier under laminate flooring (available at Lowe's, item #673026). It's not a perfect metallic finish, but it does render a chrome appearance similar to the Anakin rubber stunt from the ROTS behind the scenes video. While it's no wider than duct or packaging tape (about 2"), it's so thin that, once applied, the seams are virtually invisible. While it clearly won't be useful for complex surfaces like a pommel, it's perfect for flat smooth surfaces like the main tube of most sabers. And at $6.58 for 50 meters, it's good for many sabers.

So what are you waiting for? Go get some chrome, baby!

The Jedi Challenges controller is about what the applied tape looks like. Check that thread.

(Someday I'll figure out how to post pics!)

Seeing the 'real deal' (for me) is the only thing that will give this tip some weight.. :)

I want to see exactly what this approach looks like..

You can upload to anywhere and post a link.. ir if you use the image stuff for here.. there is an upload button that is kind of easy to miss/overlook :)

It is. The trick is to lay it down without wrinkles or getting any little particles of stuff underneath it. The saber I tested it on required one tear off and reapplication on the grip end and two on the emitter end. Either it's very difficult, or I'm just kind of bad at it :(

Oh man, that's a skill right there. I had to learn that applying metal tape to my Shared Stunt saber. It came in a 2" roll and I think was for duct work? Metal foil tape? I threw out the label dang lol

open the website on a browser of your cell phone, after login open the tread and upload the picture as a new post

image.jpg

Thanks, that worked. My first pic post. Woo hoo! And yes, that is it.

Last edited:
And by the way, that pic was taken before I replaced the tape the second time on the emitter end. You can see little wrinkles and the bad cutting job I did around the recharge port hole!

Holy crap - even if this was a first attempt, I'd coat ANYTHING in this if it wasn't metal, this is awesome!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back