It's a Graflex Christmas miracle....

SethS

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So as I may have mentioned a few million times, I have a vintage Graflex I scored for next to nothing in the 90s. At the time, all I had was the Shane Johnson tech journal, the promo shots used in the SW RPG, and the pause button on my VCR for the Wampa cave to try and determine how to mod correctly. This was the AOL, "It's windshield wiper blades!" era.

I settled for cutting 6 thin strips of rubber and decided that was close enough. With hand tools, the patience of a 22 year old, and some glue I made it happen. I slapped on a 2-holed pictured hanger d-ring and called it close.

A few years later, the glue dried up and the rubber dried out and begin to curl. I couldn't get them off without removing the rivets. Drilling them out and pulling them free caused more damage to the lower half of the Graflex than I cared to admit.

Flashforward to a few years ago when I unearthed it from a box after discovering that I could get 3rd party parts to make it look right, I also discovered the 7 grip toe pic had come to light. I went with 6 grips, ANH style to cover the holes. It was my only option. And it didn't cover them exactly considering how uneven they were.

One of my first posts here was asking what to do about the d-ring. I drilled those out and put the proper ANH version on, and it thankfully covered the hole.

I've said over and over that I appreciate the history of it and was cool with it being inaccurate since it was a relic from my own life...

...but let's be honest. It was driving me crazy. I pre-ordered a lower-half from Roman to correct it. It would look right... but the fact it wouldn't all be vintage bothered me a teeny little bit. I bought a Roman OB1 kit and that felt justified-- but the kind of money eBay is asking for just a lower half seems not right.

So the other day, I'm on evilbay looking for random junky flashes to make custom sabers, and I spot this:

14316728_10154028160343920_7530216188557080202_n.jpg

Under $100, a buy-it-now. Listing is for the case, flash and battery pack.

BUT WHAT IS THAT UP IN THE LID OMG!?

The clamp is clearly not a Graflex, no markings and it sits flush-- so no tabs. This might just be some generic knock off... but I've never seen any other flash use the slot and twist bayonet action that a Graflex does.

So I took a chance, bought it now'ed. I figured that at the lest I'd have a cool vintage trunk, a couple lower halves to add to a 2 cell, and some extra greeblies.

Just arrived... and... holy crap...

miracle1.jpg

Now I can do my ANH right. So excited!

I suppose if anyone wants a Roman lower half and is too deep on the pre-order list they can let me know and they can have mine.

And farewell to this old friend:

miracle5.jpg

Last edited:
:) congrats seth! whats the black clip on that crappier flash unit looks like?

It looks like a regular Heiland flash clamp, the rail attachment part, with a plate and a hose-clamp-style strap on it.

edit: nevermind, I see the silver clamp you're referring to on the 3 cell now.

:) congrats seth! whats the black clip on that crappier flash unit looks like?

Another weirdo-- It's similar to a Heiland black box, but about 2/3s the length and the sides are more square than sloped. It was mounted to a hose clamp-- and passed through the bracket you see.

I got it off the hose clamp band and bracket. It I mount it directly on a saber it'll be a cool custom box for sure.

The clamp, that may have had my interest because it does give an appearance of one.

The clamp is a mystery.

The material is the same as the clamp on the Ikon some of us have made customs on. The shape is exactly like a graflex, length as well-- but no tabs or engraving on the outside. No sidebars either, and the bolt is off another flash. I don't know the name of it-- but I've seen them here and there on cameras.

I suspect its a home made Graflex replacement. The amount of customizing and jury-rigging you see on old camera gear is amazing.

miracle2.jpg
miracle3.jpg
miracle4.jpg

How much was the final BIN price?

All in, just under $100.

Great score, and you most certainly can make some custom props from this lot. I'm wondering if the handle on the clamp was just replaced some how and the clamp could just be a nice replacement but you can definitely use that with a new lever.

I have a left over side bar and clamp from converting one of Roman's clamps to a V2...

clampy.jpg

It's like a Bizarro V2

Last edited:
The clamp is a mystery.

The material is the same as the clamp on the Ikon some of us have made customs on. The shape is exactly like a graflex, length as well-- but no tabs or engraving on the outside. No sidebars either, and the bolt is off another flash. I don't know the name of it-- but I've seen them here and there on cameras.

I suspect its a home made Graflex replacement. The amount of customizing and jury-rigging you see on old camera gear is amazing.

http://sethmsherwood.com/pretty/miracle2.jpghttp://sethmsherwood.com/pretty/miracle3.jpghttp://sethmsherwood.com/pretty/miracle4.jpg

All in, just under $100.

Nope... Not a homemade clamp. I bought one a few weeks ago myself from eBay; I managed to convince the seller to just sell me the clamp since I thought it was interesting and potentially could use it in a future custom saber build:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272342736610

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back