Italian Job Gold Bar Project

This is such a cool project! Great progress so far! Can't wait to see how this all turns out! :)
Thanks, I'm hoping to do a v2 later that is more 100% replica rather than a direct casting. Due to material shrinkage the end product currently is a bit smaller than the screen used prop. Will take what I learn from this early bits and work to get a more accurate replica down the line

Thanks, I'm hoping to do a v2 later that is more 100% replica rather than a direct casting. Due to material shrinkage the end product currently is a bit smaller than the screen used prop. Will take what I learn from this early bits and work to get a more accurate replica down the line
And how big is it exactly? ;)

So I went ahead and created a two part mold using high temperature silicone (mold max 60)
Also got myself hopefully enough metal in these ingots to get 2 solid bars out of.
I have 1 4-bar stack of Pure Tin and 1 4-bar stack of lead free pewter.

I'll do the tin first since it has the lower melting point and then see how well the pewter does. Will also try preheating the mold in the oven so the temp difference when the metal goes in isn't chaotic enough to cause artifacting in the finished cast.

20220323_171155.jpg
20220323_171158.jpg
20220323_171204.jpg

small update, waiting on a new hotplate to arrive since the one I have doesn't get hot enough to melt the ingots down. I built this clamp setup for the mold to keep it together while the metal is pouring and cooling.
20220328_092503.jpg

First bar from the high temp silicone mold is out. This was done using pure tin. I got better results and the size is more accurate to the original prop, but I'm having issues with surface air bubbles. I'm thinking this was due do issues with the heat and air/moisture still in the mold. Next time around I will preheat the mold and hope for better results
IMG_20220329_195833_148.jpg
20220329_203126.jpg
20220329_212152.jpg
20220330_092628.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back