Is this Auction Legit? Resin ILM Cast

He still works there and is saying someone gave him a cast of something from the model shop? Seems like that'd be a fireable offense, no? Not real smart outing yourself like that :)

Happens all the time actually.

Supposedly given to him a decade ago.

As to its authenticity I defer to our saber experts here

He still works there and is saying someone gave him a cast of something from the model shop? Seems like that'd be a fireable offense, no? Not real smart outing yourself like that :)

I don't know. It looks warped/bent. If original, the only thing I think it might have been for is a belt hanger. The ribbed grip don't look right. But again, I don't know.

Avolow.

Well ... the 6th, 8th and 9th ring are narrower then the others on the 'grenade' section which would suggest/indicate it's been cast from an original . . . and the red and green arrows seem to sit in the exact same position ... plus the part that is broken of the right arrow. Then there is the black stripes on the activator board which are slightly higher then the rest of the copper/brass parts as they should be.

Paging Lonepigeon, Anakin Starkiller for more info please?

However for someone claiming to be a seller for 15 years on ebay his feedback count is rather low and 93.1% ... so I always play it safe ... no bidding from me!

-Chaim

Well ... the 6th, 8th and 9th ring are narrower then the others on the 'grenade' section which would suggest/indicate it's been cast from an original . . . and the red and green arrows seem to sit in the exact same position ... plus the part that is broken of the right arrow. Then there is the black stripes on the activator board which are slightly higher then the rest of the copper/brass parts as they should be.

Paging Lonepigeon, Anakin Starkiller for more info please?

However for someone claiming to be a seller for 15 years on ebay his feedback count is rather low and 93.1% ... so I always play it safe ... no bidding from me!

-Chaim

Actually I JUST noticed these little details, good eye! That does make me wonder...

It looks real.

Here is a casting, first gen of one I know came from ILM.

re: the one on ebay: Even though its probably legit, it does not negate the fact that it is a HORRIBLE casting, and not worth 10 dollars. 100 bucks? No way.

It looks real.

re: the one on ebay: Even though its probably legit, it does not negate the fact that it is a HORRIBLE casting, and not worth 10 dollars. 100 bucks? No way.

I agree, thank you for sharing. I was a little surprised at the price - I guess the debate is between what it is and what it is. A real cast from ILM and...a crappy cast haha

It looks real.

Frank,
Are the ridges on top of the control box that deep on yours?
The Hero prop used a circuit board. The metal strips aren't that raised.

Looks like it.

I hope the seller was not owed a lot of money because if he was his buddy really got over on him with this crappy cast! :lol

not any more....
I used to sell castings from the mold we made of ours.
I say ours because the saber belonged to a friend of mine, and I molded because, well, I wanted one.
Sold em til the mold died.

Maybe the one on auction was a reject (?)

More likely its been molded to death.

Every time something is molded and cast, you can figure 2 to 3 % shrinkage.

Detail tends to fade, and subtle lines like those on the circuit board probably didnt last long. Most like someone thought they would "fix them" and eventually it ended up in rubber again.

One of the ridges, the one just south of the Box, also looks slightly reworked as it is a bit deeper, wider, and uneven. Its very thin on the saber we have and has a cleaner look.

I took a shot with a tape measure and did my best to recreate the ebay shot.

The first RING above the box is at the 7.5 inch line. Near as I can tell.
Photographic distortion prevents an exact measure, but at least its close if you want to compare.

saberh.jpg

I dont know. Maybe it's been molded once or twice. No way to know.
But that bend is from pulling it out of the mold too soon! So someone was in a hurry!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back