Is There Anyone Who Does Commissions for Small Run Photoetch?

Rahn420

I've been developing a cockpit for my 1/32 Cylon Raider.

The rear wall has a few panels that will be back lit.

I'm looking for some PE of the panel faces to help with light blocking.

Is there anyone who I may be able to commission the PE from.

I can provide vector files of the panels (4 total).

P1020135.jpg

The difficulty you will likely encounter is that regardless of the run length you need, setting up the artwork is a fixed cost - that has to be done whether you want 1 or 1000. On long runs, you can spread that artwork cost between each etch, but for short runs. it becomes the most significant cost of the process.
When I did some parts some time ago (10+ years) it was roughly $100 artwork setup and then $10 per sheet of brass etched. I Only wanted one sheet so it cost me $110

Oh, I'm quite aware of the whole setup thing.
I work in graphics. Many times I have had to explain to a customer why I won't sreen print just one, five color Tshirt. There is a setup charge and minimums involved.
I am certainly open to this aspect. I would want multiple sheets, anyway.

I did a web search recently, since I'm considering something similar, and found a few companies that say they can do this. But you don't say where you're based. I found UK and US companies, but I've never tried them myself so I can't vouch for any. :)

Check our Insight Designs! They did all the photo etching for the ILM modelshop back in the day.
Thanks on the tip. I will have to check them out.

I did a web search recently, since I'm considering something similar, and found a few companies that say they can do this. But you don't say where you're based. I found UK and US companies, but I've never tried them myself so I can't vouch for any. :)
I'm in the US.

Years ago, I bought an etch kit through Micro-Mark. I never tried it. Has anyone had experience with it? Don't know if the chemicals have expired (if they can) by now.

I'd rather just pay a pro.

If you do decide to etch these yourself, here's a great article on an alternative to ferric chloride etchant. Let us know how they come out either way.

Several years ago I attempted some home brew etching following YouTube tutorials, etc. I found the process extremely inconsistent, messy, hazardous, and expensive. Out of numerous attempts I think I got one semi-usable piece. I admire anyone who can pull it off, but it's a level of alchemy and luck that is beyond me.

I envision a day when some enterprising person or company creates a desktop laser CNC-type machine that can do sharp detail in small brass sheets at the touch of a button. Cricut makers are along those lines, but they can't do thicker brass and in super small detail.

As a follow-up to my original post...

I went with PPD Ltd, based in Scotland (I believe).

They did an excellent job on my parts. Fast turnaround. Highly recommended.

I ended up with 75 of each set of 4 parts per 270x127mm sheet.

All in all, about $40 for the initial (one time) setup and the sheets (and any additional sheets) are about $16, $23 to ship.

.0125 Stainless steel.

I went with steel over brass since the panels are to be silver in the end. Now, I don't have to paint them.

P1020249.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back