Is there any reliable source for Star Trek 3 + 5 communicator brass parts?

DB537

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a few Stapleton kits but no source for accurate brass grills and midplates to complete them.

I tried to order the parts from Fed. Surplus a while back but he was unable to fill the order.

Any assistance is appreciated very much. I have 4 incomplete kits that I can't finish without the parts.

Star-Trek-III-The-Search-for-Spock-Communicator-1.jpg

I hate to say this but as far as I'm aware Fed Surplus was the only one offering them. I originally got mine from someone here at the RPF when Myron first made the kits but they flaked on most of the orders and only a few people received them. I also got the Star Trek 3 Grill and Mid Plate from Fed Surplus last year so I don't know what his problem is now. Good luck.

I hate to say this but as far as I'm aware Fed Surplus was the only one offering them. I originally got mine from someone here at the RPF when Myron first made the kits but they flaked on most of the orders and only a few people received them. I also got the Star Trek 3 Grill and Mid Plate from Fed Surplus last year so I don't know what his problem is now. Good luck.

Yeah I was one of the customers that the seller you refer to hosed.

They took everyone’s money and then cut and run.

At times it seems like the Star Trek 3 and 5 Communicators are cursed as a lot of the runs over the years have gone off the rails at some point.

FLM Concepts was the banned member who scammed everyone (including myself) for the comm parts.

So you may want the clear because the message seems to be jumbled.

FLM was banned for not fulfilling orders as promised.

Fed Surplus was simply unable to accept and fulfill an order. They did not take funds and then not deliver? Correct?

FLM Concepts took money for a lot of lids and only delivered a few of them.

I don't know what is going on with Fed Surplus but I have not had any problems with him other than taking a long time to fulfill orders.

So you may want the clear because the message seems to be jumbled.

FLM was banned for not fulfilling orders as promised.

Fed Surplus was simply unable to accept and fulfill an order. They did not take funds and then not deliver? Correct?

Regarding FLM Concepts, that member was banned for not fulfilling the orders 4 years ago. I added her contact info for the benefit of anyone else who may have been scammed, but apparently it was removed by a mod. However, if any victims of FLM's fraud still need the contact info to pursue legal action you can message me and I'll be happy to provide it.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On August 20, 2018, I placed an order with Fed. Surplus through his website for 4 completed grills and 4 midplates. On October 19, after 2 months with no updates and no parts, I sent him a message asking about the status of my order. He responded 5 days later, stating that work was taking up all of his time, that he was almost done with my order, and hoped that it would ship within a few days.

On January 9, I sent him another email asking again for an update, and he responded stating that he had been sick, had just had surgery 2 days earlier, and that the order would ship that weekend. I opened a PayPal case today so that I would still be covered before the 180 days were up, and sent him a message explaining that I would prefer the parts if at all possible, but that if he couldn't fill the order within 5 days to please refund and cancel my order. He canceled it and the refund is pending through PayPal right now.

I completely understand if he is too busy with work or delayed with medical issues. It happens to everyone at some point. I think it might be in the best interests of his business and reputation to at least temporarily deactivate the listings on his site if he can't fill the orders within the 180 day PayPal protection period. He makes great parts, and I'm sorry that he's having problems, but unfortunately I can't risk losing several hundred dollars on an order that might never show up.

DB537, what's your timeframe? If you can save me the legwork and get me measurements, I can probably get parts fabricated in the coming months. I'm taking classes at my local makerspace, and those bits would make a nice, simple practice piece for the machine shop. A Stapleton communicator kit is on my list for this year sometime, and this would help me get off my butt.

I'm looking to do the TSFS version, with the 5-piece grille and the red and green LEDs. I'm not much of a fan of the simplified version. Or the TFF version with the illuminated mic/speaker grille, or the entire inset for the GEN version.

I sold 2 of my incomplete kits but I was able to get lids for the other ones from someone who had a couple of spares.
I don't know who made these lids, but I'll see if I can get some photos and measurements for reference. I know that they
are slightly narrower than the Fed. Surplus lids, but with a little work and a few spacers they work all right with the kit.

Here's the ST V kit that I just recently completed:

ST6Comm1.jpg
ST6Comm2.jpg

Those look really nice.

Now that I'm taking a closer look at it and the fact that you said it was slightly narrower than the Fed Surplus lids that could be one of FLM Concepts lids. She did get a few out before going dark and it looks similar to the one I have, but to be honest it also looks similar to my other ST V lid that I believe is a Fed Surplus lid as they are the only 2 people who have made them in the past 10 to 15 years.

Dear DB537 I found your contact while searching the internet for copies of or any resource for accessing copies of original prop newspapers from the Twilight Zone TV series (1959-1964). I am trying to recreate these props for a series of Twilight Zone and Rod Serling lectures I do at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn Illinois. I'll cut to the chase. Online jpegs are not detailed enough. Contacting Earl Hays Press (original supplier of TZ and other 50s-60s TV program newspaper props) was a dead end. So, can you or someone you know recreate these props? Several episodes use them but I wanted to find out first if you or someone you know could do this project. And of course I am willing to pay for this. ANY help greatly appreciated. And if an email is easier, you can use either or both of the following to contact me:
  • LBARTL6415@AOL.COM
  • MIKELYNN1939@GMAIL.COM
Thnx, Mike Lynn

Attachments

• AND WHEN THE SKY WAS OPENED.jpg
    AND WHEN THE SKY WAS OPENED.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 267
  • MIGHTY CASEY.JPG
    MIGHTY CASEY.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 267
  • TIME ENOUGH AT LAST.jpg
    TIME ENOUGH AT LAST.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 247
  • TWO new world.png
    TWO new world.png
    713.2 KB · Views: 216
Dear DB537 I found your contact while searching the internet for copies of or any resource for accessing copies of original prop newspapers from the Twilight Zone TV series (1959-1964).

Hi Mike. I can definitely help you with this. I'll message you through Gmail with more info.

Those look really nice.

Now that I'm taking a closer look at it and the fact that you said it was slightly narrower than the Fed Surplus lids that could be one of FLM Concepts lids. She did get a few out before going dark and it looks similar to the one I have, but to be honest it also looks similar to my other ST V lid that I believe is a Fed Surplus lid as they are the only 2 people who have made them in the past 10 to 15 years.

I think you might be right, but I'm not 100% sure. I got very lucky because someone happened to have 2 old spare lids available when I needed them.

I think you might be right, but I'm not 100% sure. I got very lucky because someone happened to have 2 old spare lids available when I needed them.

Whatever the case you were at least able to score a couple of lids and complete 2 of your kits. I'm looking forward to see how your other kit comes out. Is the other lid you got for the ST 3 Comm and if so is it the 5 piece type Fed Surplus sells?

Whatever the case you were at least able to score a couple of lids and complete 2 of your kits. I'm looking forward to see how your other kit comes out. Is the other lid you got for the ST 3 Comm and if so is it the 5 piece type Fed Surplus sells?

It's a 3 piece ST3 lid, missing the inner round parts that the FS lid has. It was also slightly narrower and I had to add very small washers as spacers. That comm is almost finished. I just have to mask and paint the white area and do a minor paint touch up on the blue center part.

It's a 3 piece ST3 lid, missing the inner round parts that the FS lid has. It was also slightly narrower and I had to add very small washers as spacers. That comm is almost finished. I just have to mask and paint the white area and do a minor paint touch up on the blue center part.

I think that sounds like another FLM Concepts lid. Her ST3 lids were the 3 piece lids. Here is a link to my ST3 and ST5 comms that were built a few years ago using her lids.

Star Trek Movie Communicators

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back