Is there a wiki or something of prop building plans/instructions?

kresty

There are a ton of brilliant build logs here and stuff, but I was wondering if there was "someplace" one could look up particular Star Wars props and get links to "instructions" of a sort? Like a master index of builds or something?

There is stuff all over the Internet, and even some plans on here for some stuff, but there is not a single repository for everything. Your best friend is Google. Be careful. Not all plans available are accurate. Research, research, research. But a good start is using the search function on this site as well.

TazMan2000

I use YouTube a lot, not just for Star Wars Props but Props in general. Different techniques I have learned from YouTube and apply them into my builds

Scottjua has a great YouTube channel showing off his builds, and in many of his videos he explains what’s he’s done to get to this level. So they are educational

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I realize there's stuff all over the place :) Which was kinda my point, has anyone tried to index (some) of it? Bing helps me find tons of cools stuff, but it seems like it'd be kind of nice if there was a wiki with links so you could search for "xyz blaster" and cut through some of the noise.

No big deal if such an index doesn't exist, but I was wondering ;)

Sites like Parts of Star Wars are good for general info across a range of items. You'll find more prop-specific sites elsewhere. Best advice I can come up with is to bookmark those things in your web browser in indexed folders, which is what I do. There are some really good build threads or specific posts on this forum and some others that not only provide good reference and research, but just inspiration.

If you're struggling with your Google searches, try companion keywords like "diagram" or "plan" in image searches. Play around with it. A lot of Google results invariably lead back to message boards like this one, where you can follow breadcrumbs to more information.

I know how to follow the breadcrumbs :) I just saw value to having a more organized index of pointers and so I wondered if anyone had done something like that. Seems like the answer is "no, nobody else thinks that would be very interesting, so nobody's bothered :)"

I have thought about building something like that, but it would be a massive undertaking to build.

I personally start a folder on my computer with a notes file and every reference photo I can find on that subject matter whenever I get interested in a prop.

I bookedmarked a lot of things and there was a lot more information on the web......until photobucket ruined everything :(. But the discovery is half the fun. I really wish I saved a lot of build threads and research threads as a pdf.....

Sites like Parts of Star Wars are good for general info across a range of items. You'll find more prop-specific sites elsewhere. Best advice I can come up with is to bookmark those things in your web browser in indexed folders, which is what I do. There are some really good build threads or specific posts on this forum and some others that not only provide good reference and research, but just inspiration.

If you're struggling with your Google searches, try companion keywords like "diagram" or "plan" in image searches. Play around with it. A lot of Google results invariably lead back to message boards like this one, where you can follow breadcrumbs to more information.

I know how to follow the breadcrumbs :) I just saw value to having a more organized index of pointers and so I wondered if anyone had done something like that. Seems like the answer is "no, nobody else thinks that would be very interesting, so nobody's bothered :)"
I believe you are the same kresty from astromech.com. I like the wiki pages there as well. That would be a useful tool here.

Yea, Astromech's wiki is kinda what I was thinking - that's restricted to droid-y stuff mostly though. Stickied posts are helpful too.

An RPF wiki might be really interesting, I sort of had not mentioned it because I was thinking that it might be unwieldy if *ALL* those prop things from everywhere were included... however I guess it could have a landing page for major franchises/topics, someone smart could probably figure out a structure to keep it from getting out of hand. I wonder if they'd considered something like that before?​

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, Astromech's wiki is kinda what I was thinking - that's restricted to droid-y stuff mostly though. Stickied posts are helpful too.

An RPF wiki might be really interesting, I sort of had not mentioned it because I was thinking that it might be unwieldy if *ALL* those prop things from everywhere were included... however I guess it could have a landing page for major franchises/topics, someone smart could probably figure out a structure to keep it from getting out of hand. I wonder if they'd considered something like that before?​
Agreed. Even though there are a ton of props that can be found here on build threads, most are dated or no longer have pictures that still show up. It would be good to have a wiki that can be updated as new info or parts are found. The separate franchises have their own forums so it would be easy to just put a wiki in the sticky for each forum.

I like this idea

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back