Is the Predator society stagnant ?

boca

During the 'flashback' scenes in AVP...we get to see Preds wearing the same gear and same weapons and flying in the same ships 2000 years ago that they are today.

Is their society and technological advancement retarded in some way ? You'd think they'd have had inferior weapons/ships...etc thousands of years ago than they do now.

11qtn6c.jpg

izuvqs.jpg

11qtn6c.jpg

izuvqs.jpg

being a hunter, i think they chose the same weapons to make it interesting. im pretty sure they can blow us all from out of space,with something but , as some hunters here like to stalk their prey( deer, bears etc) they like more the mano a MANO KIND OF hunting...but thats just my idea. :)

Bows and arrows were used MANY thousands of years ago here on earth, and we still use them to hunt with today, sometimes with no improvements to speak of. Some people prefer it that way. The Preds are obviously a far older species than we are, and we haven't seen very much of their culture to date. We know basically nothing about them aside from what's been on screen and various books and comics. The weapons they use for hunting are probably completely different and lower-tech than what they would use in clan wars or fighting other enemies on a large scale. They have interstellar spacecraft for God's sake. You know they must have massive weapons capable of terrible carnage when pointed at advanced enemy ships and such. Don't sell them short.

Remember that big-a$$ canon that blew a perfect hole at a perfect angle (was it a 30 degree angle?) through the ice in what we are lead to believe was a matter of minutes or seconds? There honestly really is no way to tell the difference in technology because we are given only a few brief moments in what was "ancient pred history on earth", but another way to look at this is like this: How long has the light bulb been around? It looks almost like it did when it was invented, but the type of lumens it puts out, and the amount of energy it uses varies from when it was first concieved. Right?

You know why they use the same weapons because if they are able to hunt dinosaurs...kick alien ass...take down a professional squad of trained killers I do not think they need to change. Dude they have a mini death star on their ships they must be hugely retarded. Like Yautja Sai'Kon said if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Hey boca.... you forgot a very important point!

Time is relative! What is one year on earth, when you are in space? Just a couple of months? Days? Or just some minutes?

Just think about it.... :) :)

I just figured we were seeing the flashback "as Lex and Sebastian" see it. Since they had not seen any other Preds they probably figure they all look the same. I guess that's how I let it go anyways...lol.

i think you have all forgotten and even more important point, one which i am surprised you have over looked....

It's AVP, they didn't think about the past when writing the script

Another excuse about the armor being all the same is " Ceremonial Pyramid Rights of Passage Armor" - you can only wear this armor when standing on and inside the temple.
or they were already over budget with armor designs and couldn't be bothered different armor :)

In my opinion the preds are obviously very traditional with there look, the armour may look the same but whose to say it isn't made of copmpletely different materials etc etc. also, i would imagine they have alot more tech that they dont use on the hunt..... not sporting enough :) that said, old tech or not, who's gonna mess with them really which brings us on too another point, weve only ever seen the preds on the hunt on the big screen, who knows what they would bring to the game were they ever at war with an advanced race, would be good to see mind :)

Time travel would fit superbly into the Yautja legacy imo, but then an advanced race like that would also understand the implications of altering the past, no matter how minutely and probably wouldn't do it. I like the idea of a pred going back in time and coming back with a T rex scull (or the pred equivilant) however :)

Y'know, that would explain the dinosaur skull trophys we saw in the movies. Hard to believe that the pred's have been around for 65 million years + with the same technology.

[quote name='Yautja Sai'Kon' post='141179' date='May 18 2009, 10:49 PM']Y'know, that would explain the dinosaur skull trophys we saw in the movies. Hard to believe that the pred's have been around for 65 million years + with the same technology.[/quote]

Well they didn't necessarily have the same tech when those skulls were collected.... Bare hand dino hunting :) or they are from distant planets more likely.....

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back