Is the Predator society stagnant ?

I've also wondered about their population. In the books by the Perry's I've read. Each male can make dozens if not hundreds of young. I'm just trying to think about it but that would be say 100 births for every 8 preds. Thats counting the single blooded warrior with his young "in training" males without babies.

The fact is that a population like that would increase its number 5 times every other generation. That is the equal of earth having a population of 30 billion by 2089.

Granted a lot of the young preds seem to die.

I've also wondered about their population. In the books by the Perry's I've read. Each male can make dozens if not hundreds of young. I'm just trying to think about it but that would be say 100 births for every 8 preds. Thats counting the single blooded warrior with his young "in training" males without babies.

The fact is that a population like that would increase its number 5 times every other generation. That is the equal of earth having a population of 30 billion by 2089.

Granted a lot of the young preds seem to die.

i think you hit the answer with your last sentence, i would imagine most would die young.... lets face it, every pred weve seen on the big screen has died, excluding those that we glimpse at the end of any given film and which werent involved in the hunt. It seems if they had one kid every few years their race wouldn't last too long o_O that is Hollywood of course, we all know the preds would have won on most, if not all occasions in the films so far.....

given their interplanetary capabilities, i doubt Preds are confined to just one homeworld anymore! Guess if they come across somewhere w/ good hunting a clan or two might just decide to settle down there and create a new home.

regarding stagnation, maybe at present they just have nowhere further to go? we went from walking to bikes, to cars, planes, jets and spacecraft - once you reach safe interstellar capability (and perhaps wormhole/whatever technology) i dunno how much further you can go. the odd polish and tweak perhaps but nothing too drastic? same w/ the armour designs and stuff. if it does the job (and perhaps fits w/ their codes and rules of engagement) then maybe it wouldn't change radically. perhaps the only thing to alter would be stuff not immediately apparent to the observer : it might be a new mix of alloys, making it lighter. stronger or more acid-proof. maybe their tech is the same, same cloak methods, but now they can just cloak faster, or in water etc.

Well, sure an alien tongue doesnt seem like it should go threw the bio but they had several go threw them in the comics.

if multiple rifle bullets don't go through the bio (P2, the slaughterhouse scene), then I wouldn't expect a tongue to pierce it.... granted, M-16 ammo is rather small, but also a lot faster than an Alien tongue... ridiculous.

once you reach safe interstellar capability (and perhaps wormhole/whatever technology) i dunno how much further you can go.

Stargate.jpg

o_O

Regarding intersteller travel though, im sure there is always room for improvement, at the speed of light for example, it would take us over 4 years to reach our closest start! who's to say the preds didn't used to travel years on end to a hunt before refining the tech?

Stargate.jpg

There are some really good questions and answers here. In P1, P2 and AVPR, they didn't wear nearly as much armor as in AVP. I favor the notion that the younglings on their first hunt are outfitted with inferior armor and blades to make it more challenging. Wolf's blades were acid resistant because he used them on an alien in the hospital hive and also put them through Chet's skull and they showed no signs of melting. Also, the armor could be specific to the clan that uses Earth as a training ground, and not the whole race. Each clan would have their specific history and customs, so why not different armor. The different facial appearance of the AVP Preds could be another slight difference between clans that have been seperated for a long time. If you stop and think about it, NONE of the Predators we've seen were identical in appearance. Scar's clan all had the same facial appearance and the longer dreads, but they looked different from all the other Preds in the other movies. I know as far as the moviemakers go, it's just because the costuming and makeup has evolved since the '80s and they just want their own version of the Pred, but it still is an interesting theory. Anytime had the simplest facial appearance, being the first Predator, and the design has been tweaked in every successive film. The stagnation question is really strange to start with, given the fact that we've only seen a microscopic part of the Pred society. We don't have nearly enough information about them to even ask that question. We really need some GOOD Pred films to explore their universe a little at a time. There are so many possibilities for future Pred films if the right people will just stand up and make them. Look at mankind here on Earth, and think how much older and more complex the Pred society must be. It would take a dozen films to get a good idea of what they're really like on different levels. Hopefully the people at Fox will wake up one day and start monitoring this board. There are far better ideas thrown around here than in the whole of Hollywood I think.

That's why I'd love to see a bad-blood film. To see Preds going head-to-head would be fantastic! I'd love to see a bad-assed rogue hunted by several other bad-asses who all go down strong until the final battle between the bad-blood and the best arbitrator sent after him. The arbitrator wins and survives, taking the bad-blood or his corpse home with him for whatever ritual or punishment is appropriate. The arbitrator would have to be the toughest and smartest Pred we've seen so far, but the bad-blood would have to match him for the most part. An elder like Broken Tusk as the arbitrator would be great. If they have to put humans in it, make them ADULT scientists or something who are just watching the story play out and not becoming involved. Trapped in the middle and ignored by the Preds as they fight each other on an alien world, but definitely not on Earth! Maybe they could collect one of the dead Preds after his fight with the bad-blood and study him. That would be a great opportunity to learn a little more about the Pred physiology itself. In a perfect world...

The stagnation question is really strange to start with, given the fact that we've only seen a microscopic part of the Pred society. We don't have nearly enough information about them to even ask that question. We really need some GOOD Pred films to explore their universe a little at a time.

Why is it strange ?

So you think it's normal to have identical starships ,weapons and armour that you did 5,000 years ago ?

Why is it strange ?

So you think it's normal to have identical starships ,weapons and armour that you did 5,000 years ago ?

What i believe he was trying to say is that their tech has never been explained, for all we know that ship isn't as quick as we think, the preds we saw in AVP may well be a tribe that have been travelling the galaxy in the same vessel for thousands of years? also, once you reach a certain stage tech wise all of the challenge of the hunt would be removed so why not keep it at just the right level? the armour may look the same as may the ships but who knows how vastly the materials and tech used to construct them has changed over the period between the flashback and now?

Lets not forget that the tech we use today serves a similar need as tech has for thousands of years. Though some things haven't changed. Swords, spears, body armor and missile weapons work in the same intent as they have since the time of Ur. Some look different and are more complex but then some haven't changed since the beginning of recorded history. If something works and nothing better is needed then the likely option is that nothing better will be created.

Why is it strange ?

Well, firstly, I already explained why it's strange, and secondly, I've had the same starship since just after Mars was formed and it still purrs like a Venusian kitten!

Bottom line - Don't apply HUMAN ideas and reasoning to Pred society. What might be normal to us very likely won't be normal to them, and vice-versa. And don't forget, the ships were the same because the stupid directors didn't think about it beforehand, and Fox probably wouldn't spend the extra money for different ships as usual. Since when did they care about attention to detail???

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back