Is the MR Luke ROTJ saber actually to scale?

Black Rain

Was digging around for info on The Parts of Star Wars, but couldn't find mention of the different sizes between the hero and the shared stunt. I'm assuming the MR Luke ROTJ is modelled on the hero saber that Vadar examines after Luke turns himself in. Watching this scene again though, the saber looks bigger than MR's.

Can any of you knowledgable folk shine any light on this for me?

My thanks in anticipation. :)

I'm no expert, but of all the sabers in the SW pantheon, the hero Luke ROTJ is a known resident at the Skywalker ranch. It wasn't dismantled or lost or sent back to Bapty. That said, I think MR certainly had access to it. I don't know why they wouldn't have used it for measurements if they had the real deal, you know? Answer -- I think it is accurate to scale.

Originally posted by Star Wars Man@Jan 31 2006, 12:49 PM
sent back to Bapty...what is that?

And where is skywalker ranch?
[snapback]1172805[/snapback]​

Skywalker Ranch is Lucas' house and until recently, housed Skywalker Sound and ILM. It's in San Rafael, Marin County, Northern California. On Lucas Valley road (a coincidence).

Steve D and I went to the Magic of the Myth show here in Toledo when MR was first starting. He was looking at a number of props then to produce for MR including the RoTJ saber which was on exhibit. He brought ther prototype and was able to get a good measure on the actual piece. I also photographed the piece for him to reference at the time. I understand he had more chances to get access to the piece at the Lucas ranch storage/library area. I can say absolutely that it is accurate to the tiniest detail to the hero piece displayed at the magic of the myth. With exception the control box on top which was slightly damaged and corroded. One of the copper bars was banged off and crooked on the control box top. The corrosion was pretty bad as well. MR did produce it as new and without the corrosion.
The rings going up the emitter was also not machined evenly from ring to ring. It was rough to say the least. That was corrected as well for the final MR piece. It was suprising to see how well the prototype matched up though to the final piece. There were a few tweeks, MR did a fabulous job on producing that replica.
There was some discussion here to the corrections made. The reason was most people are not going to expect the poor machining to the new replica pieces, as well the damaged and corroded control box.

Originally posted by jlee562@Jan 31 2006, 08:53 PM
Skywalker Ranch is Lucas' house and until recently, housed Skywalker Sound and ILM.  It's in San Rafael, Marin County, Northern California.  On Lucas Valley road (a coincidence).
[snapback]1172809[/snapback]​

Actually Skywalker Ranch is Lucasfilm's Company headquarters, not Lucas' house. He has a home elsewhere. Skywalker Sound is still located at the Ranch. ILM was never located at Skywalker Ranch.
LucasArts and ILM moved from their 2 locations in Northern CA to the Letterman Digital Arts Center. Lucas Licensing also moved there after being moved from Skywalker Ranch to Big Rock Ranch (another Lucas complex next to Skywalker Ranch). Skywalker Ranch is now back to being focused on filmaking.

Originally posted by lonepigeon@Jan 31 2006, 04:03 PM

Actually Skywalker Ranch is Lucasfilm's Company headquarters, not Lucas' house.

I'm pretty sure Skywalker Ranch is where Lucas hangs his hat.

Originally posted by Star Wars Man@Jan 31 2006, 08:49 PM
sent back to Bapty...what is that?

And where is skywalker ranch?
[snapback]1172805[/snapback]​

Bapty is the prop shop that made and held onto original SW props (like the Obi ANH). I actually misspoke in mentioning them, since they were not involved in ROTJ sabers.

Originally posted by PeteVenkman+Feb 1 2006, 12:53 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PeteVenkman @ Feb 1 2006, 12:53 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-lonepigeon
@Jan 31 2006, 04:03 PM

[snapback]1172985[/snapback]​
[/b]

No, It's not. I've been there a few times. I've seen where he parks his car when he comes into the office.
I don't recall offhand where his actual home is but the 60 minutes interview for RotS was filmed there. They show a bit of his family life and he plays basketball with his son Jet outside.

Originally posted by PeteVenkman+Jan 31 2006, 04:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PeteVenkman @ Jan 31 2006, 04:53 PM)</div>

[/b]

As am I. I used to work in a mall in San Rafael and several years ago saw George and Jett in the food court. If he doesn't live there, he lives close at least.

Yup.
I was going to add that about ILM...it's several miles away. I've been in there several times. In an industrial area...

He used to have a house in San Anselmo...it's ALL in the general area though...

Originally posted by lonepigeon@Jan 31 2006, 06:03 PM
Actually Skywalker Ranch is Lucasfilm's Company headquarters, not Lucas' house. He has a home elsewhere. Skywalker Sound is still located at the Ranch. ILM was never located at Skywalker Ranch.
LucasArts and ILM moved from their 2 locations in Northern CA to the Letterman Digital Arts Center. Lucas Licensing also moved there after being moved from Skywalker Ranch to Big Rock Ranch (another Lucas complex next to Skywalker Ranch). Skywalker Ranch is now back to being focused on filmaking.
[snapback]1172902[/snapback]​

Hey there my friend...

Yes, it's correct. it seems small really, but that's compared to a Graflex...It's in proportion to the prequel sabers though as far as thickness...

I have a casting of the stunt...and if you allow for a bit of shrinkage on the resin version, you can tell that it's right on.

Originally posted by Black Rain@Jan 31 2006, 09:47 AM
I'm assuming the MR Luke ROTJ is modelled on the hero saber that Vadar examines after Luke turns himself in.  Watching this scene again though, the saber looks bigger than MR's.

Can any of you knowledgable folk shine any light on this for me?

My thanks in anticipation.  :)
[snapback]1172564[/snapback]​

Originally posted by jlee562@Jan 31 2006, 07:41 PM
As am I.  I used to work in a mall in San Rafael and several years ago saw George and Jett in the food court.  If he doesn't live there, he lives close at least.
[snapback]1173111[/snapback]​

lonepigeon is right, and so is jlee, in part. Lucas lives not far from the ranch. I know exactly where as I tracked down the address when I was 16 (right after ANH came out) and went over to his place while visiting my grandparents in the area, walked right up to the front door (no gates back then) and knocked.

A rather surprised looking woman came over from the side and told me he was on vacation, drat it all. :D

Nice place with a nice view, it's always fun to look at when I'm driving by, (which I wish was more often, lovely area...).

...and no, I ain't telling. ;)

Originally posted by jlee562+Jan 31 2006, 07:41 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jlee562 @ Jan 31 2006, 07:41 PM)</div>
Originally posted by PeteVenkman@Jan 31 2006, 04:53 PM

As am I. I used to work in a mall in San Rafael and several years ago saw George and Jett in the food court. If he doesn't live there, he lives close at least.
[snapback]1173111[/snapback]​
[/b]
I worked at Lucas Arts from early 95 to 99. When I started there we were at the kerner location next to ILM and moved just off Lucas valley road in late 95. I visted the Ranch many times for lunch, 4th of July parties, and two trips to the archives. George stayed overnight at the ranch on occasion, but I believe his main home is down in Mill Valley or Sausalito. I know he does not live on the ranch. When I was there Skywalker sound and LFL were on site and there was a section of guest housing where actors and various other talent stayed from time to time.

Hm, i have an SD Studios ROTJ and is exactly the same size as the MR ROTJ. As far as i know SD Studios was before MR. Did Steve had access to the original before MR ? Hm, just curious...

Originally posted by Spiker@Feb 1 2006, 10:18 AM
Did Steve had access to the original before MR ? Hm, just curious...
[snapback]1173293[/snapback]​

Probably not - although I don't know for sure.
My guess is he's just THAT good at scaling - as a few others are here.

EDIT: I forgot to say, Serafino, next time you're passing by, pop in and ask him to sign a colour 8 X 10 for me please. Dedicated, of course. :D

Howard.

Originally posted by Spiker@Feb 1 2006, 10:18 AM
Hm, i have an SD Studios ROTJ and is exactly the same size as the MR ROTJ. As far as i know SD Studios was before MR. Did Steve had access to the original before MR ? Hm, just curious...
[snapback]1173293[/snapback]​

Resin cast copies of the original were offered through Puzzle Zoo (I think that was the company? Zoo, Safari something like that) many years ago. So there was great reference in public hands to begin with.
Of course the original props were on display many times over the years as well - many opportunities to observe all the details.

I had an SD piece to compare and it was darn close in most of the measurements. There were differences especially around the neck and emitter and the bottom pommel. But it was darn close. You would not notice it all that much unless you had them side by side, the SD piece was that well done.
There was the puzzle zoo piece and a few other pieces that were floating around from Icons. There was talk that they were looking into doing the replica down the road had they stayed in business.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back