Is the High Republic stuff worth getting into?

squirk

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am leery about getting into the High Republic because it felt (feels?) like it’s just a marketing campaign where the sales strategy came first, and the stories were pulled together later.

I know it’s Disney, so I’m not surprised by that. But is it worth digging into? If it’s just crap stories made to “fit” the campaign, and not good stories for their own sake, I’ll just continue to keep my distance.

Please and thanks.

I haven't been interested at all. It might be good, I don't know, but pre-prequel eras have never interested me. I didn't even get into the KOTOR stuff.

I am leery about getting into the High Republic because it felt (feels?) like it’s just a marketing campaign where the sales strategy came first, and the stories were pulled together later.

I know it’s Disney, so I’m not surprised by that. But is it worth digging into? If it’s just crap stories made to “fit” the campaign, and not good stories for their own sake, I’ll just continue to keep my distance.

Please and thanks.

I felt the same way but still gave it a chance, which wasn't the best idea. Your instincts are right on. For the most part I was disappointed and will most likely not be delving into anymore of the High Republic.

is this the series with the killer force trees?
Yep, killer dark side trees lol.

I felt the same way but still gave it a chance, which wasn't the best idea. Your instincts are right on. For the most part I was disappointed and will most likely not be delving into anymore of the High Republic.

Yep, killer dark side trees lol.
Aaahhh, wizard of oz trees use I scare the sh1t out of me when I was a kid

Dark side trees… same thing

I read one book when HR first came out, well before "Vessel, "Geode" and the trees were introduced so I don't feel that bad about it lol. It's not like it was difficult reading :lol:.

What the hell ever Happened to the story board team? The people who kept things in canon and control the stories?

Pablo’s team

I mentioned this in another thread but, I’m on the third book of the series, and it’s been a struggle…

Trying to avoid spoilers, but the villain is meant to be the huge menacing force, and they’re just not… They tried to create this new threat to the galaxy, but the scale and dread of such an evil force is missing.

IMHO, there are too many characters to keep track of, and they don’t spend enough time on any one or few for you to really get to know them. Some of them are just laughable, like the evil trees mentioned above.

The only cool thing is some of the concepts on how the Jedi were hundreds of years before the PT/OT/ST, but even that is somewhat disappointing.

Sean

The only cool thing is some of the concepts on how the Jedi were hundreds of years before the PT/OT/ST, but even that is somewhat disappointing.
I was wondering, though - given that the Jedi have been around for thousands of years, does it seem weird that they were at their pinnacle 200 years ago, and by the time we hit the PT, their numbers are waning, they're kind of arrogant and out of touch with the galaxy, and no one has the wherewithal to spot a Sith Lord right in front of them?

It seems like a really rapid decline, relatively speaking. Do they touch on this at all?

Did George say they were at their highlight 200 years prior? Or is that a Disney era thing?

Not sure that they went into it that much, but if the Jedi find a suitable infant/child they'd like to train, i don't think they can just take them - they'd have to get the parents permission.

I suppose I could see a situation that if nothing remotely relevant came up for them to do on a routine basis, more parents would decline the option.

I guess it depends on how you define pinnacle. You can be at your best ever and only have 100 members I suppose.

Did George say they were at their highlight 200 years prior? Or is that a Disney era thing?

Not sure that they went into it that much, but if the Jedi find a suitable infant/child they'd like to train, i don't think they can just take them - they'd have to get the parents permission.

I suppose I could see a situation that if nothing remotely relevant came up for them to do on a routine basis, more parents would decline the option.

I guess it depends on how you define pinnacle. You can be at your best ever and only have 100 members I suppose.
I think that's how this "High Republic" campaign was marketed - the Jedi at their peak.

What the hell ever Happened to the story board team? The people who kept things in canon and control the stories?

Pablo’s team

The fans who made a big deal about that when Disney killed the EU touted it as a new era of SW books because, according to them, it had never been done before. The truth is that Lucasfilm books was already doing that for a while. That series with the Yuzhaan Vong was already being coordinated across many authors to keep it consistent and they were keeping track of canon even before that. The few new EU books I've read feel like the authors weren't familiar with the movies. At all. Timothy Zahn is the only one still around that feels like SW, but I haven't even wanted to read his new Thrawn books.

The fans who made a big deal about that when Disney killed the EU touted it as a new era of SW books because, according to them, it had never been done before. The truth is that Lucasfilm books was already doing that for a while. That series with the Yuzhaan Vong was already being coordinated across many authors to keep it consistent and they were keeping track of canon even before that. The few new EU books I've read feel like the authors weren't familiar with the movies. At all. Timothy Zahn is the only one still around that feels like SW, but I haven't even wanted to read his new Thrawn books.
same

I got the impression that Disney was pushing “High Republic” as a single-source campaign across all media (books, comics, video games, etc.) vs. something that was coordinated by LFL where they were herding cats - Del Rey, Dark Horse, Electronic Arts, etc.

“One Disney,” for better or worse. Sounds like “worse”?

I got the impression that Disney was pushing “High Republic” as a single-source campaign across all media (books, comics, video games, etc.) vs. something that was coordinated by LFL where they were herding cats - Del Rey, Dark Horse, Electronic Arts, etc.

“One Disney,” for better or worse. Sounds like “worse”?
I got the impression it was something disney dictated....'we want you to do this' and that they told LFL to coordinate it. That impression is from articles and write-ups. It never sounded to me like something LFL came up with on their own and simply ran with it, but I suppose anything is possible.

And I remember the announcement with the photo janglesworthy is referring to. Gave the impression at the time that this was their story group for the event on day 1. Definitely an eye-rolling inducing moment.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back