Is the Georgia heat going to kill Billy Sole?

WhiskeyBeard

So, If I am in a latex suit, full mask, and a Bio on top of that, I am starting to get concerned that I might pass out from the weather and suit heat combined. I know fans can help to an extent, but there is only so much air you can draw into a foamed DB P1 v2 right? I don't know how many of you have been to Atlanta or Dragon Con, but the humidity here can get ridiculous. A camel back in the backpack is an idea, but thats even more weight to carry.

BTW, thanks to everyone who has helped me so far with all the great advice. I am trying so hard to figure everything out from the outset and plan accordingly.

Sigh.. Doing this the right way is taxing...

Its a tough call ..there is no real way to get around the heat issue ..just things to make it a bit more comfortable. Honestly, I would use the half mask/Bio combo. The fans installed in the Bio on your bare face will help..plus the missing wall of latex in front of your face reduces the "stuffiness" in the mask. But unfortunately you are in head to toe latex...you are just gonna have to sweat it out ...literally

Thanks pt,

I would really like the option of being able to take off the Bio when in full suit and still have a "completeness" to it.
Also, I would like to have the fullmask/Bio for display purposes when not wearing them. I can stand to sweat off some of this marriage weight anyway...

I should know by now from this forum that a little imagination and ingenuity can go along way.

Last year the weather was great. I think it only got up in 70's during the day. Year before was damn hot. So yes, Billy Sole will be hot. I think last year was a fluke.
Even with the cooler weather last year, I was a photoshoot outside in the morning and there was a guy in a Batman Begins costume, he was dying.

Im from England, so the sun and heat at Dragon con is not something im used to! However, i had absolutly no problem marching in the parade in a full latex suit. Just make sure you drink plenty, and keep the head off until the parade starts

All I can say is may the Pred gods be with you, good luck, and god speed. I suit up in the ac and I struggle. Cheers to you parade hunters at D-Con. You guys and Gals are troopers!

Thanks guys,

I'm sure I'll learn as I go, just like anything else.
I know some of our Trooper friends have got the fans and cooling systems down to a science.
I am trying to be as realistic as possible on a completion date; I'm giving myself until D-Con 2011 to be done.
Hopefully I will be done way before that, but probably not by this year's Con. I'd be more than happy to be support this year though if anyone needs me, at least I can do some learning from you guys with complete suits and get a feel for the hunting.

Hey bud they wear these in industrial applications and under heavy armor (bomb suits) I have even hear that "mascott" performers will buy them. I have no idea I have never owned one but if I find myself uncomfortable to that point I will look into it. It's actually a very simply design and could probably be home made as well if you had the time. It's just a insulated cooler bag for block or dry ice with a water/coolant bladder in it, a 12v pump and surgical tubing glued to a shirt.

http://www.coolshirt.net/

I've worn my Pred to Dragon Con a number of different years, and yes it's hot but wearing a Pred is always hot!

I have the faceless undermask/bio combo with a CPU fan inside the bio. I won't wear it outside in the Georgia heat (those guys doing the parade are bonkers) but even inside buildings you're sweating up a storm. I typically only wear the Pred there for 1-2 hours and that's it.

Drink tons of water, as soon as you take the costume off pound water and gatorade. If you're a drinker, don't get wasted the night before wearing the Pred suit there. It's happened to other Preds and they were sick the rest of the day after going Pred costuming. Water, water, water and food that absorbs water, such as pasta.

Darkwolf,

Thats a great idea with the shirt. I think I have seen some without that bag to carry, but still, great idea.

Fett,

Bottled water - check. 3 pounds Chicken Alfredo - check.

Bov,

Your suit just looks like it would be heavy and hot, I guess thats the price of looking badass.

It wasn't too bad marching in the DCon parade. I'll have to look it up when I get home but I have an ice vest that has pockets for ice packs in the front and back that were designed to at least last 2-3 hours. Nice part about it is that it has a built in camelback that I used alot during the con which helped alot. I'll get some pics and post it later.

Darkwolf,

Thats a great idea with the shirt. I think I have seen some without that bag to carry, but still, great idea.

Fett,

Bottled water - check. 3 pounds Chicken Alfredo - check.

Bov,

Your suit just looks like it would be heavy and hot, I guess thats the price of looking badass.

Yeah there are lots of models out there from simple up to NASA quality. Looks like you could adapt it into a small pack maybe into the back armor or something. Here there's a idea for a new product on the lair a custom made cooling armor back-pack. If only I had unlimited time and money I think a small 12V fountain pump and a rechargeable LiPo drill battery would work out nice. Damn it I might just have to do it to say I did........

I have a MC outfit and I just use a Camelback water system under my back armor to keep me cool with the hose running up the back of my neck and over to my mouth.

I have a very close friend who's a professional costumer (he lives in Kennesaw, which is just north of Atlanta, for the record), who has designed a very light of weight cooling under suit for his furry/anthro customers, and they rave about how well it works...

In fact, two of our other friends have done two tours each in Iraq in the last couple of years, and both of them had him make the same undersuits for them, for the Middle Eastern heat...By and large, both of them said that others were constantly complaining, while they were rather comfortable, all things considered...

If You'd like, throw me a PM and I'll throw You his contact info...

Be advised though, he's a one man operation and, at present, one of the foremost furry/anthro costumers out there (Greenpeace has him make their costumes, due to his realistic take on animals and what not), so he's quite often backed up on orders...But still, it might solve Your problem entirely...

He's won alot of awards at Dragon*con over the years, and he's actually offered to help me build a fully functional Pred-head/mask...Only problem though is his time is so taken up with orders, that for him to do "friend-work" is hard to come by these days...

I have a very close friend who's a professional costumer (he lives in Kennesaw, which is just north of Atlanta, for the record), who has designed a very light of weight cooling under suit for his furry/anthro customers, and they rave about how well it works...

In fact, two of our other friends have done two tours each in Iraq in the last couple of years, and both of them had him make the same undersuits for them, for the Middle Eastern heat...By and large, both of them said that others were constantly complaining, while they were rather comfortable, all things considered...

If You'd like, throw me a PM and I'll throw You his contact info...

Be advised though, he's a one man operation and, at present, one of the foremost furry/anthro costumers out there (Greenpeace has him make their costumes, due to his realistic take on animals and what not), so he's quite often backed up on orders...But still, it might solve Your problem entirely...

He's won alot of awards at Dragon*con over the years, and he's actually offered to help me build a fully functional Pred-head/mask...Only problem though is his time is so taken up with orders, that for him to do "friend-work" is hard to come by these days...

Right on, thanks Manitou.

I probably wont need it for a bit, but I will def add it to my parts sourcing list. I'm only 15-20 minutes form Kennesaw so that works out real nice.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back