Is Rubies Royal Guard Helmet Worth it?

Brothervader

I'm just looking for something new to add to my collection. I would really like a royal guard helmet. I noticed that rubies made one for about $200. A lot of reviews complain about warping and micro-cracks. I just like to hear any opinions out there that you might have on this helmet. Also, any other good recommendations on where I could find a good royal guard helmet for my display. Thanks
9296b7531d5a4f22443ccd435380e6ac.jpg

As far as I know that is the only licensed helmet in history to actually be screen accurate. And I think that was why I goes for more. Rubies and the old Don Post helmets were around $100-120 yet I have seen the Royal Guard go for $200 or more.

Yes, in my opinion it's the only good Rubies helmet. You can find them for less than $200.

The thing is that the quality has gone down in the ones made more recently. I ordered and returned three of them because they all had some defect or surface damage. They were all made in 2016, identified by TFA box art. The main problem I kept having was that the styrofoam base in the box rubbed away and chips the paint along the bottom of the helmet. Finally got one from Party City for $300. That one was made in 2011. The quality of it was much better than the newer ones. The visor was darker, more smooth and even resin cast, more lightweight, and packaged better.

What Boba Fett helmet is that?

I purchased the Boba Fett helmet off of the dented helmet cargo bay. The Creator is a guy in Canada who does his own molds and custom paint jobs. Excellent craftsmanship!

So I got one of the better fan-made helmets, and, when the paint got damaged in transit to Celebration VI, I was quite put out. Then, walking the vendor hall, I passed the full-on Supreme Edition Royal Guard costume at the Rubies booth and did a proper double-take. The rest of the costume was okay, as far as it went. Prequel style to the cape, fabric was too light weight, didn't care for the Force Pike... But the helmet. The helmet was perfect. So I got it then and there. Here it is straight out of the box, without and with flash:

523463_3682012457984_502959791_n.jpg

408313_3682012577987_381682642_n.jpg

Out at Celebration under the indoor lighting (not sure if this is just a factory error or if the mis-carded figure is worth something...):

228513_3682016178077_1593328858_n.jpg

Under sunlight:

1174715_10200537413586905_1515102956_n.jpg

And the reason I was so keen to have it at that convention in the first place:

337770_10151117052839798_1168175456_o.jpg

It is exactly the right color, no repainting needed. The only issue I've had with it is my own damn fault for scuffing it against a rough wall. And my only quibble is that the visor is smoked, rather than red, and not dark enough, for safety reasons. For Celebration, I backed it with the red lighting gel I had for my damaged helmet. I have since popped the visor our and put the gel across the front, so it's film-accurate.

--Jonah

This helmet has long eluded me. I almost got one years ago, but the visor was totally wrong. Looked to be made of cellophane.

I recommend replacing the visor regardless. This is the ROTJ/AOTC cut (I think they re-used the original helmets for the couple shots with the Chancellor's guards in Episode II...?), and both of those had dark red visors rather than basic black. Far, far more important is the quality of the material and finish of the helmet itself.

The helmet is great..but the complete eyesection is too thick.The Originals are a lot thinner.And like said before the visorcolor is wrong.
The Rubies is also made bigger in size to match bigger headsizes.You can see that when you look on the helmet from the side.The helmet base is the old Don Post Royal Guard wich came from a studio helmet.I have both..the Rubies and the DP.

I upgraded my rubies a little on the eyesection and repainted it.

Here is the stock eyesection:

31984858yp.jpg

And after the upgrade:

31984861rq.jpg

And added an acurate red visor:

31984872wc.jpg

I've seen the Rubies Royal guard a few times. Once being trooped in for a 501st event. It looks great,
but I think its much too deep. It makes it look a bit puffy, not sleek.

The best Royal Guard helmet is the old Don Post one.This has the right shape what we have seen on screen.The Rubies is idealized for all headsizes and that can you see.But it also based on the DP one.
But its still a very nice helmet.I have both DP and Rubies.:)

The best Royal Guard helmet is the old Don Post one.This has the right shape what we have seen on screen.The Rubies is idealized for all headsizes and that can you see.But it also based on the DP one.
But its still a very nice helmet.I have both DP and Rubies.:)

I have both, too, as well as one fanmade one. From everything I can determine from looking at behind-the-scenes pictures, from photoscaling against known objects in the same focal plane such as Vader's helmet when he leaves the elevator they're guarding, from laser calipers at ehxibitions... The Rubies is much better than "idealized", and the DP is about 10%-15% smaller than the original. When I'm over being ill, I'll take some superimposed photos of the DP in front of the Rubies from all angles and you can see the proportions all line up. The DP just "seems" more accurate because of how small it is. The guy who originally sculpted it based his measurements on having it fit as close as possible to his head -- but he forgot, in the moment, that he had a big head. So how "loose" or not it is depends on the wearer. I am 6'1"/1.85m, hat size 7 3/8. On a good day I can get the DP on without scraping too much skin off my cheekbones. The Rubies fits perfectly snug without being too tight. With the minimal padding it's shipped with, the eyeline sits exactly right.

The biggest concession to idealizing is that the right and left shoulder flares are on the same level instead of being as woefully asymmetrical as the original prop, which the DP captured too well...

25861582937_357a2c14dc_b.jpg

Compare to what I posted up the page.

--Jonah

From what I know the DP is not undersized.Look in the new propbook from Brandon Arlinger.The head of the maker had 95 Perzentil..that are 60cm.My head has exact this size and like the maker said when I wear it my face touches the inside of the helmet.So this tight fit is accurate.The rubies is too thick from the side.That is a big problem when people wants to make this helmets bigger.They loose this special "no human"look.
I´m also only 1,80m and not 1,85m like you.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back