Is not taking PayPal for payment a Red flag ?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Knightmare

Jr Member
New here and have tried to buy several pieces but get stopped when the sellers are asking for payment from odd payment systems I have never heard of before .
Is it me or is this a Red flag ?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

enterprise0216

Sr Member
You may have to contact the seller via PM sometimes they may set it up that way. So they can calculate proper shipping depending where you are located than send you an invoice. Not sure but that is a possibility.

enterprise0216

Sr Member
Most times i just post on the selling thread i am interested and PM on the way. The Seller will reach back out with purchasing details. Normally i do not click on the buy it now button. Especially if the Seller says not to in the sale description.

Knightmare

Jr Member
Most times i just post on the selling thread i am interested and PM on the way. The Seller will reach back out with purchasing details. Normally i do not click on the buy it now button. Especially if the Seller says not to in the sale description.
Maybe I just have been unlucky

JoeG

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
What are they asking you to use to send payment? Venmo? Cashapp? Zelle? Those are all legitimate services, but they are not necessarily setup for a business transaction in the sense that there are no protections for the buyer. It doesn't mean someone is trying to rip you off if they request payment through those services, but if you're unsure who you're dealing with, then you'll have to do some legwork and decide for yourself if its an acceptable risk.

alensatemybuick

I have on occasion offered to pay a seller’s PayPal fees, to allay their concerns over that. And in the cases where they still declined to take that form of payment, I’ve moved on. Exception made for venders referred by trusted friends, but if a total stranger, no way. See my avatar if you wonder why.

Knightmare

Jr Member
I have on occasion offered to pay a seller’s PayPal fees, to allay their concerns over that. And in the cases where they still declined to take that form of payment, I’ve moved on. Exception made for venders referred by trusted friends, but if a total stranger, no way. See my avatar if you wonder why.
I offered to pay fee also ☹️

Darth Lars

Master Member
Where in the world are you and the seller located? In some countries, other payment methods are more common.

It could also be that the seller has had problems with PayPal that makes them unwilling or unable to use them again. There have been several people even on this forum that have had their accounts restricted for various not so obvious reasons.
Personally, I have been unable to log into my PayPal account since December when they started to require two-faction authentication without first checking that the system actually worked, and PayPal doesn't offer any way to contact them other than by message — which requires login ( :rolleyes: ). I have looked around to find that I am far from the only one in my country with this problem.

Last edited:

MattgomeryBurns

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I offered to pay fee also ☹️
PayPal still seems the standard payment system in the prop world. I've only used Venmo or Zelle for in person transactions when I'm buying or selling locally. But PayPal is still the safest when something is being shipped. Link it with your credit card and pay as Goods & Services so you'll be double protected. I had an incident with a prop I bought from someone on the RPF Facebook page. PayPal didn't side with me at first but I took it up with my credit card and they worked with PayPal to refund me.

Knightmare

Jr Member
PayPal still seems the standard payment system in the prop world. I've only used Venmo or Zelle for in person transactions when I'm buying or selling locally. But PayPal is still the safest when something is being shipped. Link it with your credit card and pay as Goods & Services so you'll be double protected. I had an incident with a prop I bought from someone on the RPF Facebook page. PayPal didn't side with me at first but I took it up with my credit card and they worked with PayPal to refund me.
I am thinking that these sellers had large chargebacks possibly and close the accounts and are banned . If you’re willing to pay fees there is really no reason to use PayPal IMO

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member

Just in case you weren't aware, PayPal will only cover transactions of items that are allowed on ebay. apparently. I tried to sell some US Civil War artillery shells and they said because ebay doesn't allow them they wouldn't protect the purchase. You could still use PayPal, they just wouldn't protect you if something went wrong.

Moviefreak

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I expect to see more sellers trying to move away from PayPal in the near future. With the new policy they put in place this year where they report your sales to IRS when you reach over $600 for the year (it used to be anything over $20,000 got reported), coupled with the rising fees, a lot of sellers are going to bail and find new payment platforms. That will make purchasing a lot more difficult as the other platforms have yet to address buyer protection.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.