Is MR selling SDS Helmets?????

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Star Wars Helmets, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

I received an email from a StarWarsHelmets.com contributor the other day pointing out that a MR advert he'd seen on a retail site was displaying an SDS trooper helmet....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I contacted the site owner and his response was...

It clearly is a prototype and the image came from MR

So I dont know if this guys made a mistake or what, but given everything thats gone on I have to say its extremely funny :lol

Cheers

Jez

2. propcicle

propcicle Well-Known Member

$99 bucks for a TK helmet? :confused

Sign me up.

3. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Sr Member

$99? I'd be very suprised. Any idea what retail site that was?

4. darthgoat

darthgoat Well-Known Member

Good god resize that image.

5. jeezycreezy

jeezycreezy Well-Known Member

No doubt.

6. Star Wars Helmets

Sorry about the image size, its linked direct from www.koenigscollectibles.com - I didnt want anyone to think there was an "funny business"

I'll edit and repost

Cheers

Jez

7. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I wouldn't be surprised for $99. It's just vac formed plastic. MR is making a very smart move it it is that price. Those things are gonna fly. I wonder what the difference in paint jobs will be for the fett helmets. How bad will the CE be?

8. StarWars Collector

StarWars Collector Well-Known Member

This keeps getting better and better. AA making master helmets for MR....
    :lol

9. JRX

JRX Well-Known Member

For only $99 , and if it really looks like on that pic in the end, it's a must have :eek

10. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

I don't know if the Stormtrooper image was part of MR's original literature or inserted by Koenigscollectibles, but the Fett helmet image is most certainly from MR, or an official source, as it is the actual Preproduction 3 Fett helmet, not one of the painted prototypes.

11. gavidoc

gavidoc Well-Known Member

MR has been known to use unlicensed replicas in their photo literature in the past. Quite possible that is what they did here.

I think that the $99 might be a typo. Perhaps $199?

12. WookieeGunner

WookieeGunner Well-Known Member

Might not be. There is $170 difference between the Fett LE and CE and $99 would make a $150 difference beteween the Trooper LE and CE. Maybe MR is using their molds and Rubies techniques?

13. Henry Wayne

Henry Wayne Active Member

$99 for a CE Trooper Helmet is a steal.. :eek

I hope they will be available soon..

I can't wait to order mine.. :D

14. saber_holder

saber_holder Active Member

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  15. JHVanOphem

JHVanOphem Well-Known Member

Thats what I was thinking as well. Didn't they use an E-11 pic from somebody here for their pre-sale flyers?

16. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

If those are the real prices there is going to be some serious upset in the Fett helmet selling community. Those prices are OUTSTANDING.

17. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

Too good to be true??

SAS

18. Predatormv

Predatormv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yea at those prices I really see myself buying one of everything in that add sans the Vader helmet.

19. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

$99 for a trooper helmet? Man, if this turns out to be true, then I just HAVE to have one. :eek

20. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

....even the LE Trooper is a steal.

21. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Probably only 1/2 scale size. As a mantle piece and not to wear.

22. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

SO THATS HOW AA SETTLED OUT OF COURT... :confused :lol

ahem...

yeah those are supprising prices for the helmets.

wonder if lucas knowing all the different makers out there couldnt match these prices, and influenced MR to let em go this cheap... so as to stop the fan made TK buisness all together???

conspiracy theory... maybe. :p

23. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

I'm not going to get my hopes up too high, but if those prices are correct I'm all over it. I'd buy two CE Trooper Buckets so I can have a Death Star version, and one to dirty up for a Sandy ;) Even if it is a typo and $199 is the correct price, I'll still order one as soon as it's available.

My fingers are crossed, but I'm not holding my breath.

24. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

I think that's unlikely. If LFL really cared about the home-made market they could have taken action already.

It's more likely a matter of mass production. A factory in China is going to turn these out much more efficiently than a guy working out of his garage. They can buy plastic and other materials in bulk at a discount. They know they have a huge market, so each individual unit doesn't require a big market. I really don't think there are any alterier motives involved.

25. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

I think 501st members should get a 20% discount :p

Steve :lol

26. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can tell you beyond any shadow of any doubt that MR will NOT be selling SDS helmets. I have this infromation first hand from two different parties.
    -Scott

27. Veedox

Veedox Active Member

Umm, HELLO?. Has everyone forgotten about the prototype shown at a convention last year?

The one with the cleaned up symmetry?

They didn't make that for nothing, just to use SDS's messed up molds.

28. TMP

TMP Sr Member

This will kill the prop comuinity. I belive this will make people loose interest because it becomes to much of it. I reffer to MR TOY Supreme Vader costume, And what value does a collector item for 99.00. :thumbsdown

29. RKW

RKW Sr Member

I believe the SDS helmet in question belongs to member Musashi.

30. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

MR has already annouced three versions of the trooper helmet. A CE which will be symmetrical and made from cheaper material and have flat green (stunt)lenses. A LE which will be Asymmetrical and have the bubble (hero) lenses and be made from better material, and an EE which will be the ultimate symmetrical helmet made from top quality materials. I think it's very possible that those prices are correct seeing as the CE will have an indefinate run. They sell FX sabers for $100 that are metal and have electronics, why wouldn't they be able to sell a couple pieces of vac formed plastic for $100. For the CE and EE MR has their own molds so I'd assume they're also making their own molds for the asymmetrical LE.

31. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

Nein, the CE model is full size.

32. JHVanOphem

JHVanOphem Well-Known Member

Its just the helmets though... there is a lot more to a complete costume than just that.

33. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

If that was my #11 helmet I would be pretty upset that MR is using it to advertise their own products. Showing an SDS helmet, not an MR helmet nor even the prototype, is misleading advertising, regardless of whether it was MR or koenigscollectibles. It's also copyright infringement since the rights to that photo belong to the photographer and it's irrelevant what's in the photograph. We don't even know what the final MR helmet will look like.....I guess it will look like an SDS helmet which means the SDS helmet is screen accurate ;).

[​IMG]

T

34. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Especially if they retain the originals "wonky" features.I`ll take 2. :thumbsup

Ben

35. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

I don't see why. Look at the toy collecting community. The fact that Hasbro makes thousands of action figures that cost $4.00 a piece does not dimension enthusiasm for collecting them. Rather than hurting the prop the community, the lower prices of mass produced items opens it up to a larger market for more people to enjoy. Yes, this does lose some of the exclusivity of owning a Stormtrooper helmet. So what? That kind of elitist snobbery is what deserves a :thumbsdown . The more the merrier. The more people who can afford to participate in the hobby, the stronger it will become. High volume, low cost products like this will help MR generate the capital it needs to expand the product range, improve the quality control, and remain a vital company turning out cool stuff for years to come.

I don't think the value of the true collectibles will be hurt either. Yes, we will have fewer "know nothings" fighting with the true collectors over the very nice items. Again, so what? That's a good thing. Let the "know nothings" go grab a symetrical MR CE Trooper bucket. They'll love it and be happy with the $100 price tag. Those of us who know better will still recognize a lumpy, bumpy, asymetrical TE for what it is. We will still know the value of such a fine helmet.

This is a good thing :thumbsup

36. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If it is his then he deserves some free Swag big time.

37. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

Ditto.

38. The Dude

The Dude Sr Member

Well hell..I guess turnabout is fair play.

SDS allegedly recast MR's Jedi Remote stands.

Now MR is using pics of SDS helmets to market their own helmets.

It's good to share, guys. :lol

39. darthjones

darthjones Well-Known Member

I just hope MR makes an assymetrical trooper helmet regardless. THAT would be cool. This symmetrical stuff just does not look right. I enjoy the ROTS Vader helmet for instance - or rather, I enjoy what they TRIED to do - but it just ended up looking way too different from the real deal. Dome sides are too far away from the face, etc. Head is too short from front to back.

A symmetrical trooper I think would be a disaster if they just took one side and duped it. There needs to be some elements taken from BOTH sides and then mirrored - with Vader or with trooper or with anything.

Symmetrical can be good as long as some hardcore experts (like us crazies on RPF) were there to offer suggestions after having internalized these shapes into our hearts and minds at the expense of healthy marriages, good diets, and regular sleep. Indeed, the promise of an early death due to peak energy expenditure in the areas of good mask making shows dedication that can be found nowhere else.

40. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

Perhaps that will be the $45 'AA' edition...

41. elwood49

elwood49 New Member

Mike from MR posted over on StatueForum that the prices are NOT final. He said these come from the ToyFair sales kit, and they haven't been set yet.

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=25624

42. ihs

ihs Well-Known Member

Thanks for that link. I thought these prices seemed to good to be true, but maybe they'll be close in the end. I know I'd be down for at least a CE, and probably an LE instead at that price point.

43. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

IIRC, it was Diamond Distribution that did that. They often whip up "good enough for now" pics of products they don't have real photography of.

44. exoray

exoray Master Member

Actually MR, used a Bowjunkie E-11 build up and photo in the early promotion of their blaster...

The advertising/marketing people for MR have shown to be very unprofessional with the use of other peoples work to promote theirs...

45. Star Wars Helmets

Given the MR/LFL/SDS legal situation, it is funny that of all the pictures of all the replica helmets out there, they choose a photo of an SDS - unique to my site :lol

Maybe I should ask them for a discount off one of the new helmets? :lol

Cheers

Jez

46. Dean O

Dean O Well-Known Member

Actually, it was a Darkside72 Sterling, not a bowjunkie.

47. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

....I don't see why the CE couldn't be $99....remember the DP CA Trooper was around that price....I would expect the CE to be of the same type of build quality/materials, so the price would seem in line....

48. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

I can't see some of those prices be realistic at all

49. Star Wars Helmets

You shouldnt base any decisions on the pic posted, nor apparently the price

On Rebelscum MRCUSTOMERCARE wrote:

The prices on these are not finalized yet and the pictures are probably not of finished product. We still have production details to work out. Once we have everything we need we will announce these products. We sometimes have to send retailers preliminary information as they have to figure out in advance what they are going to want to buy.

[image]http://www.aqpa87.dsl.pipex.com/aliens/koenigsmr_sds%20compare.jpg[/image]

"Not the finished Product", try "someone elses product"

At least they removed the stand from the pic - how ironic :lol

Cheers

Jez

50. StarWars Collector

StarWars Collector Well-Known Member

Product is finished allright. :D

What's next.....AA selling Shock trooper helmets? :p