Is mold release beneficial when the item easily releases?

helix_3

I'm casting Crystal Clear 202 urethane resin in Mold Star 16 platinum silicone. It's an open back mold, and the object has small angular details. The object releases easily from the mold, I only have to flex the mold about 30 degrees to remove things.

Under these circumstances, does mold release offer any benefits? If so, how often should I apply a fresh coat to maximize mold life?

Yes, you've mentioned mold life and that's important if you're doing a big series of pieces, then you should apply mold release for every pour.
If it's for a small amount of pieces, I wouldn't worry too much about the wear and tear of the mold itself...I usually apply mold release for my stuff, specially if I want to re-use the same mold years later;)

In my experience, yes. I've remolded my raptor claw (the non-fossilized version) about 3 times because I burn through the molds very quickly by not using mold release. It's a very simple, small, smooth, rounded shape, but it still causes a lot of damage that is noticeable between the 30th or 50th pour.

I've found casting Crystal Clear, especially smaller pieces, don't really do much to the mold but I don't cast that stuff often, and when I do it's only small pieces. Like others have said, it is good practice to use release as each cast draws a small amount of moisture out of the surface.

Thanks for the input everyone, I have started applying it and it goes on so easily! I should've started sooner.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back