Is it possible for filmmakers to "surprise us" anymore with imdb and rumormills?

thegreatgalling

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been specifically thinking about Dark Knight Rises. I am wondering if it is possible for directors to keep secrets these days, or at least a big enough of a secret to surprise the pants of fans.

Wouldn't it be cool there WAS a cameo by the Joker in some fashion? Maybe CGI? Or an appearance by the Riddler? Would Nolan be able to pull such a thing off as a surprise?

Studio/film contracts aren't a matter of public record. If they don't want to release info, they don't have to. People can leak it from the set, i suppose, but part of keeping a secret is want to. Seems like more studios and/or directors would rather get free publicity off the information as opposed to keeping it a secret to surprise moviegoers.

Plus, you can do your own part to preserve the possible surprise by not pouring over all internet sources before seeing the movie. It's not just a one way street. If Robin/Nightwing makes a surprise appearance and it's leaked to IMBD beforehand, if you don't read spoiler threads or search out the movie on IMBD you likely won't know. It's not like they force the info on you. Of course, there's flatly irresponsible media. I remember opening the paper the day the 5th Harry Potter book came out and the local paper outed it, in a subheadline no less. I managed to avert my eyes before seeing who, but it didn't keep me from knowing it a major character was getting killed. I've seen similar headlines on msn and yahoo as well...'so and so to be in new batman film' or whatever. Or just as bad, "surprise character in end of <name of film>". Those are harder to hide from. I suppose one that pissed me off the most was before TPM was released - they released the soundtrack two weeks or so prior to the movie. I saw it in a store and looked at it, in a genius move, one of the tracks was named something like 'the death of qui gonn'. If LFL really wanted to protect against that getting out, they wouldn't have let it be titled that way and then release it a month early.

Point being, the studios have to want the secret kept and moviegoers need put some effort into avoiding it as well.

For keeping a film a secret, it depends. I mean, with Cloverfield, they were trying to make sure that no one knew about the film during its production. But the biggest problem with keeping a film in secret nowadays is the advancement of communication technology. Though you can not make an announcement of a film being in production, if you're shooting a film somewhere, there is always the possibility that someone in a nearby building or an onlooker will manage to snag a picture from the set while in the production. I remember seeing a picture of Angelina Jolie during the production of Salt that was taken by someone up in a building. There were a couple of pictures of a scene that involved Sandrine Holt in Underworld 4 that was posted on Flickr by someone who saw the shooting going on before they got pulled. And I recall footage of what was a part of a scene from the film Super 8 while it was in production as well, shot by someone who lived in the town the movie was being filmed in.

If you could control the location well enough that no one would be able to get a clear shot of a shoot in progress, or misinform the people of what the movie that is being filmed is, then it's slightly possible. As for 100% possible, not so much anymore due to communications being much quicker nowadays.

As for stuff seen in screenings, maybe, if the surprise is actually left out of the preview cut.

Not to mention, some of the rumors and info that we hear about production is often purposefully designed to be leaked to build up interest, while the other half of the time its not. Think about it like this: The recent Dark Knight Rises trailer was leaked. Now only people who work at Warner had access to the trailer. The only other people outside of Warner that had access were the the trailer editing company and Christopher Nolan himself.

So, the real question is: Is it possible for filmmakers and studios to manipulate information to gain interest? The answer is: it's possible.

Last edited:
Yeah I would say it could be a case of purposely leaking misinformation in order to send the rumourmill down the wrong road.

And if/when that tactic works enough times, any leaked "correct" information might be taken with a grain of salt. This could be used to the filmmaker's advantage with the old "double-bluff."

Yeah I like a good conspiracy. :lol

Kevin

Just 'cos there's spoilers online doesn't mean you have to read them.

On the flip side, tho, these days most trailers give you half the film before you see it. Chances are you'll get a couple of films spoiled for you each time you go to the cinema.

Maybe movies should include a "do not say anything until its release" clause in their contracts, cast and crew alike. Cloverfield was pretty closed doors about their production, but nowadays since movies are all remakes, origins, prequels, or based off books or comics... We all know the outcome unless the director goes against the original story

based off books or comics... We all know the outcome unless the director goes against the original story

I think Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is slightly an exception, as it was developed by Edgar Wright with Bryan Lee O'Malley (in fact, from what I know either the last two or last three Volumes were developed in participation with Wright. In fact, some jokes that Wright created for the film O'Malley used for the comics, and vice-versa). And the film and comics, though the outcome is relatively the same in both, they actually play out drastically different from one another.

Yeah I would say it could be a case of purposely leaking misinformation in order to send the rumourmill down the wrong road.

And if/when that tactic works enough times, any leaked "correct" information might be taken with a grain of salt. This could be used to the filmmaker's advantage with the old "double-bluff."

Yeah I like a good conspiracy. :lol

Kevin

They did this with one of the Pirates movies. Tons of "fan scripts" and other "fakes" were floating about so, when the real script was actually leaked, it was just brushed off as another fake.

I remember reading it and, after seeing the film, I have no doubt it was an original draft. Kind of a shame in a way because it had some cool scenes that didn't make it into the final cut.

I remember when Jedi came out the local paper gave everything away. The day before the movie came out. Personally I could care less, spoilers do not bother me. Reading something is very different than seeing it.

In the old days it took time for this stuff to get out, now if something happens it's all over the place in seconds. There are not any filters anymore, when the Hollywood news shows put stuff out, it was very controlled. Now it's almost impossible to tell who is releasing what.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's all staged, they are having a hard time getting audiences into theaters.

Oh, I am one of those guys who HATES knowing ANYTHING about a movie before I see it. In fact, one of my favorite past times is walking around a video store and picking up something I know nothing about, apart from the title. It's hit or miss, but every once in a while, I will find what becomes a favorite! Try it!

I usually don't read rumors (when I can avoid them). Typically, I might break that rule if the movie is a year or more away, but at the time the film is out, I am the dweeb who puts his fingers in his ears and goes "LA LA LA LA" when someone near me and starts blabbing about details.

For some strange reason, my fiance's mom, whom I love to pieces, is the worst offender. She will just smile and say "Did you see (insert movie) yet?" Annnnd before I can answer either way, she will say "HE DIES, ISN'T THAT CRAZY!"

Yep crazy. FACEPALM.

Oh, I am one of those guys who HATES knowing ANYTHING about a movie before I see it...I am the dweeb who puts his fingers in his ears and goes "LA LA LA LA" when someone near me and starts blabbing about details.
You sound like me! :lol I haven't gone so far as doing the fingers in the ears thing, but those in my life who know better think twice about revealing anything about a movie I haven't seen. I'm well versed in obscene insults and have no problems with letting people know (those who know better, that is) in no uncertain terms when they've crossed that line. :cool

For some strange reason, my fiance's mom, whom I love to pieces, is the worst offender. She will just smile and say "Did you see (insert movie) yet?" Annnnd before I can answer either way, she will say "HE DIES, ISN'T THAT CRAZY!"

Yep crazy. FACEPALM.
Some people literally don't understand the concept of spoilers. The week after M. Night Shyamalan's Signs was released back in 2002 a co-worker mentioned he'd seen it over the weekend. When I asked him if he liked it, he answered by saying, "Well, I'm not giving anything away, but..." and proceeded to tell me every plot twist in the movie. :confused In that case I didn't really care because, apart from The Sixth Sense, I don't like Shyamalan's movies. But I learned not to talk to that person about a movie I hadn't seen.

Well, that's the thing. I didn't ask him how it was, only if he liked it, and he proceeded to tell me almost everything he could remember about it. :unsure

I think it is possible. If I am interested in something I will purposly tune it out. I watched the BSG series way late. I knew I was going to want to watch it so I avoided reading threads here or looking things up. In the end it was all a suprise for me. Now HP7P2 I didnt read the books and someone was nice enough to Ruin some snape details on Friday the week it opened by posting on facebook. I guesse they assumed that everyone who was a "fan" had already read the books and knew it was going to happen. But yes it is harder in this information age.

theres only rumours cos theres an appetite for it
nowadays, if theres a movie I really like the concept abt, I avoid the rumours and spoilers etc etc etc
for instance - aside from a few pics of the Cap America TFA movie, I rreally, on purpose avoiding reading or watching anything abt it. Cos I like that 'unknowing' approach to watching a movie.

I discovered this abt 4 yrs ago, when my wife and I had twins. There were a few movies I had wanted to watch, but cos of parenting duties, didnt follow the pre-release media storms. And man, the movies just had that 'wow' and surprise effect I remembered as a kid.

Want to get surprised ? - well stop peaking behind the curtain then!!

Nate

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back