Is HBO Max worth it?

JBLAKE

Sr Member
Just curious what some poeple out there who have this channel think it is worth it.

I know we all have our individual opinions ( which is awesome :) ) but just gauging what people who have this channel think of it.

Does it offer anything new and unique from other streaming channel such as netflix and prime and such?

I appreciate any helpful opinions. Thank you in advance :)

Well I can tell you regular HBO isn't worth it so I doubt it's much better. I think all these pay services are going to implode because people aren't going to individually subscribe to pay versions of ALL the channels.

My kid talked me into it for one specific cartoon he wanted. I never use it. But... Im the kind of person that rarely watches TV. It seems to have a lot of movies and such. So for me personally, it's a waste. For others, maybe not.

Its worth it for me because once I got it I finally cancelled my cable tv. I get all the HBO stuff, WB movies and TV shows, Studio Ghibli movies, plus now they've added a lot of movies that were supposed to get theatrical releases in 2020. I love it.

I got it to watch Wonder Woman 1984. The movie was decent, and I looked to see what else they had on it. Didn't care. Unsubscribed. So to me, no, not worth it.

I unsubscribed after watching WW84. I saw nothing else of much interest.

my daughter watched a series that I am unfamiliar with.

I’m waiting for some new movies to be released.

Thank you *All for your kind replies. I do appreciate them all. Like some have said here I do have netflix but have exhausted their roster that is of interest to me.

I was hoping this would have some good movies and be worth it. I saw the 6 month option for a percentage off price. I did not see how much for one month. I thought it was of interest with wonder woman 84 being newly released and maybe they would do that again. Not sure if Justice League the one they added to will be on there too....

With cable being so high and nothing much there, I guess I was just hoping this channel would have something fresh to offer.
As SVS above said, it is getting really silly to have to pay for so many individual channels.

Again I appreciate you all for offering your personal advice and opinions. It does help...Thank you

I thought it was of interest with wonder woman 84 being newly released and maybe they would do that again. Not sure if Justice League the one they added to will be on there too....

There are a LOT of movies coming to Max on the same day they release in the theater. WW84 was the first.

Denzel Washington in “The Little Things” on 1/29.

“Judas and The Black Messiah” on 2/12. I saw the first trailer for this tonight and it looks amazing.

New animated/live action “Tom and Jerry” on 2/26.

“Godzilla vs Kong” on 3/26.

“Mortal Kombat” on 4/16.

The new “Conjuring” horror flick on 6/4.

The movie version of Lin Manuel Miranda’s musical “In The Heights” on 6/18.

New “Space Jam” on 7/16.

“The Suicide Squad” on 8/6.

“Many Saints of Newark,” prequel to The Sopranos, on 9/24.

“Dune” on 10/1.

“King Richard” about Venus/Serena Williams father on 11/19.

“The Matrix 4” on 12/22.

Those are the ones with concrete dates. There are 4-5 others that have t had dates set yet.

Last edited:
They are removing Wonder Woman 84 on the 24th. I’m guessing it’s due to them making putting it out on blu ray & demand on other platforms.

I have it and not a huge fan of it right now, I was hoping for a much bigger collection of movies than what is offered. The service isn’t too bad if you are into some of their old tv season stuff.

It's worth it if you're a big fan of Ghibli films, all of them are currently on Max right now but I don't know if they're going to get more though. They also have all of the DC animated movies as well all of the other DC content from the past including shows like Doom Patrol that were exclusive to the DC streaming service.

I'm currently on the last few days of a one month trial subscription, got it to watch Wonder Woman on Christmas, and while it allowed to catch up on my Ghibli films and watch some DC animated movies that I haven't seen, I like Netflix better. I have a huge watchlist on Netflix and I'm always adding more and between gaming, the occasional crafting, and other things, I don't know that I would spend all that much time watching anything on HBO Max once I've watched everything that I wanted to watch.

I currently have it and honestly we use it a lot. My husband likes it for new movies and I like it for the documentary/docuseries items. We canceled cable a long time ago and have lived off our Roku (HBO, HBOMax, Hulu and Netflix) ever since. I don't have any regrets.

I didn't think it would be for me, but I got a trial subscription & took all hour or so to deep dive into their catalog. Between the Studio Ghibli, DC, & TCM films, I can see keeping it for a few months. Then they announced the same day premieres & that sealed it for me. I usually bought 1-2 movies every couple of months, then usually went to 1-2 movies a month. With circumstances being what they are, & not many movies being released last year that I care to purchase, I think the price is justified to me since I'm not spending anything on discs or theaters, for at least 2021.

If their model changes, then I'll reconsider for next year, but even with the flack they're taking from the industry, if same day premieres can keep subscribers, I can see them continuing that in some form in the future.

If their model changes, then I'll reconsider for next year, but even with the flack they're taking from the industry, if same day premieres can keep subscribers, I can see them continuing that in some form in the future.

I agree. I honestly think that a Pandora’s Box of sorts has been opened. For me, even if they went on a “Monday After Release” type of system, to give the films a theatrical opening weekend, I would still keep the service as I don’t need to see movies on opening weekend any way.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back