Is DIY generally frowned upon here?

AssCred

(This can fit into either props or costumes, but I find full costumes generally take the majority in these cases)

One thing I've noticed a lot while browsing is that posts about some very creative and cost saving 'hacks' to cobble together your own full costume or prop is generally ignored on this site. And I think it's because of the fierce instance of 100% screen accuracy.

And I get that's kind of the point, to have a real professional guide to accurately recreate what was actually in the movies/series/whatever.

Why I'm bringing this up, however is, I've also noticed if it's not distinctly labeled as DIY, instead like someone's first cosplay, or first attempt at a costume, most comments at it are generally positive. No one berates them for "WELL THAT'S NOT ACCURATE AT ALL." They just say, "Hey, nice job! Welcome aboard!"

And that's a good mentality to have, but it's a bit weird to me that really creative people who might still get the job done on a severe budget, at the cost of a lot of 'accuracy', don't generate much buzz here. And I can't help but feel a bit disheartened by that, since it's this DIY hacking that usually leads to the more professional methods the veterans here employ. Watching such tutorials do nothing but inspire me, to be honest.

Just wondering if I'm imagining this or if it really is a thing here or not.

And I mean DIY-ing like this:

Or this

Last edited by a moderator:
Can some of the older guys remember when the RPF was pretty much only for research and DIY'ing lol. Back then (early 2000's) we didn't have as many vendors as now.

Look at it like this:
Diy'ers are not "frowned upon" here. They are actually highly respected, because they are becoming less and less in population due to 3-d printing, CNC's, and other fancy computer/tech machinery that are totally awesome, but have changed the "DIY" prospect of costuming.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Can some of the older guys remember when the RPF was pretty much only for research and DIY'ing lol. Back then (early 2000's) we didn't have as many vendors as now.

Look at it like this:
Diy'ers are not "frowned upon" here. They are actually highly respected, because they are becoming less and less in population due to 3-d printing, CNC's, and other fancy computer/tech machinery that are totally awesome, but have changed the "DIY" prospect of costuming.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Perhaps now the term "DIY" has even changed somewhat. The term now, at least as far as I can tell, is synonymous with "cost effective", vs the actual "Do-It-Yourself" it used to mean.
As you said, now, with technology, almost anyone with skill can DIY a professional grade costume.

Most DIY guides I can find all exist to help someone craft a decent costume for the lowest possible price.

I am just getting into prop building, and I tend to find a lot of parts around the house and put them together. I can relate to what you mean; Making screen-accurate replicas is really difficult when you're on a tight budget, like I am. Just do you! Tell the RPF community here exactly what is is that you did and what you did it with and you will be met with praise and positive criticism. The RPF fellas are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll say "No," literally Doing It Yourself is what this forum is all about, and essentially always has been, back to before 'The Phantom Menace' came out.

However, yes, a lot of RPFers are hard-core for accuracy, and sometimes for making replicas better than the real ones, be that props or costumes.

In retrospect, over time, the RPF has become less of an 'entry level' replicas site, and is leaning more toward the 'above average', with some 'major leaguers' in the mix now as well.

There's nothing wrong with trying to be cost-effective; I have made posts along those lines myself:

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=264606

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=278754

I'm not made of money. I don't have any power tools aside from a Dremel. Many of us are still very much hobbyists with not a lot of money to spend. It's nice to see the top of the line stuff made here, and perhaps all the bells and whistles do generally attract more attention anywhere.

I hope this hasn't put you off the RPF?

-MJ

I created a C3-PO costume in 1977. I had *no* money at the time, so I used "available materials". My build utilized paper mache, riding boots, a trash can and Tupperware lids, 2-pound coffee cans for the knees and (because I ran out of time) tighty-whities for his lower section. And *lots* of K-Mart gold rattlecan spray! Screen accurate? Crap, I didn't even have good reference! I posted about it here in 2012 and was treated very kindly!

As mentioned earlier, with 3D printing, CNC's and other technology, there are fewer and fewer really creative "from scratch" builds. Screen accurate is cool, but often to achieve that authenticity you need a part (or ten) of a specialized nature that isn't easily fabricated. So do your best - you'll never hear me issue a disparaging remark.

The bottom line is: if you had fun making it and it pleases you, that's what counts.

Edit: it was 2011 that I posted! Here's the link; have a good laugh on me! https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=115758&highlight=c3po+costume

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough to join the RPF at a time in which 'tech tools' such as pepakura and 3D programs are available; not because I'm lazy,but because most of the time I cannot grasp and create forms from scratch,although I would love to.I'm just not rational enough and/or technically inclined.
And yet,eventhough 3D printing is now available,I still prefer the use of a knife and hotglue to put something together in foam.I know it will never be screen accurate because I have at least one(-and-a-half) left hand if not two :lol and yet I keep going at it.Why? Because it's the best,craziest and most (emotionally) rewarding thing I've ever done in my life.And people on this forum not judging me for my level of creativity is just a bonus :D

The RPF is great for informing people of cost-effective ways to make costumes that are of really high quality. Before I came to the RPF I had no idea that EVA-foam could be used to make amazingly accurate and comfortable cosplay armors for very little cash compared to what it would cost to sculpt, mold and cast resin or plastic pieces. Pepakura has also been an amazing resource that I didn't know about before I came to the RPF.

If you can cobble together a decent cosplay out of cardboard that you scavenged, I'm pretty sure most people here would be very impressed and give you lots of positive feedback. You just have to realize that generally, the amount of attention and praise you get will often be directly in proportion to how much time and effort you put into the costume itself, not the cost.

I'm always interested in ways I can maintain high quality standards while keeping costs to an absolute minimum, so if someone comes along with a new idea or a new technique that lets me do what I've always done for less money, I'm going to be a very happy guy and he/she will certainly get a lot of praise and attention from me.

I hope this hasn't put you off the RPF?

-MJ

Nah, nothing like that. It's just something I noticed, so I wanted to make a topic to discuss it.

But I'm not gonna lie that sometimes the dedication to 100% accuracy can be off-putting in some cases. Some people do take it to unhealthy extremes.

Last edited:
It seems to me that people here do have respect for any piece that captures the spirit of the thing, and not necessarily every minute detail of something. Even in specific prop replication, there is some tolerance for accuracy.

Real craft and creativity starts with the original prop maker anyway, and after all, the professionals themselves often change and/or modify their own pieces, depending on the budget, scene requirements, etc. Every detail doesn’t have to be written in stone. There should always be room for individuality and artistic license, and especially here, where people actually KNOW what it takes to create something, so RPF’ers generally give kudos to all levels of skill and budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not if you wish to survive. :) Some topics in the past were discussed so passionately that there was a real possibility of physical harm coming to the debaters.

You have a few choices: 1) Be an observer. 2) Be a "passive contributor": if you have something valid to contribute to a discussion, post it. If it's challenged/criticized/rejected, then move along. 3) Jump into the fray. If you have the knowledge and perseverance (and enjoy arguing), go at it full steam.

One of our senior members put it into blindingly brilliant perspective once, stunning everyone. They basically said that at the end of the day, you have people getting worked into a homicidal frenzy over what are basically a bunch of toys. :)

Granted, some are *very expensive* toys, and some define the very heritage of prop collecting, but let's not forget the true reasons we're all here: to help each other and enjoy our hobby.

DIY is how it's done in the movies. You take crap that is lying around and then BAM! you have a light saber. That is how it was and still is done. Look at how ****ty stormtrooper armor is. I have a TK and it is horribly awesome. It's not practical in any way, shape or form. It always amazes me when you see a movie prop up close and how a lot of them aren't very much effort at all. But that is the beauty of it. Take something random and make something awesome.

DIY is how it's done in the movies. You take crap that is lying around and then BAM! you have a light saber. That is how it was and still is done. Look at how ****ty stormtrooper armor is. I have a TK and it is horribly awesome. It's not practical in any way, shape or form. It always amazes me when you see a movie prop up close and how a lot of them aren't very much effort at all. But that is the beauty of it. Take something random and make something awesome.

Movies always have been about maintaining an illusion, after all.

I'm with George on this one. It's just fun. Have fun with it.

My steel-sled Captain America isn't the prettiest, it's not the most accurate, or the most practical to use, but I made it with my own two hands. I got a steel sled, learned how to cut metal, learned how to paint metallic paints over steel, tons of stuff. Same with my Iron Man armors. I love my latest armor, I'm really proud of it. I could try to print it, or cast it, or what have you, but I just enjoy making **** out of foam over a week end or two, or even 15 and then by the end of it having myself a whole costume. It's intoxicatingly rewarding. You learn how to do things better, you start noticing and appreciating new details in movie-grade props. Then one day you look back at what you made, and you tell yourself "I could've done this better." So you start over, make a better helmet. And it just keeps going, you keep that ball rolling and it's just a lot of fun! I started my first Iron Man helmet with the Dali Lomo videos. It's just about having fun and trying to capture what you love about the characters through your work :)

Last edited:
Where are you looking on the forum? I see many "budget" builds. Most of the people here are Do It Yourselvers, just of varying skill and complexity. I'm more of a prop builder, so I'm not sure about costumes but taking stuff that most people would throw away and making a prop is what makes this hobby great. They used to call using off the shelf model kits to make sci-fi stuff "kit-bashing"... I think of prop making as "trash bashing". I have used so many interesting plastic containers and plumbing pieces to make props!! I do 3D printing too, but it's just another tool. The fun part is the creativity.

In the end...if you made it (regardless of how) and you love it, then I (and I daresay we) applaud it. You converted nothing but an idea and a passion into something. Awesomeness!!!

DIY has so many layers and skill sets...and so many are represented here. 3D printing? Laser cutting? Imho...still DIY. Gluing together stuff you got from other people that cast or printed the parts...yep still a DIY. Unless we restrict the definition of DIY to biting cardboard with your teeth and assembling it with your spit (insert "When I was your age" rant here), everyone has a different level of DIY...and how awesome it is that we all share that here and can celebrate and even contribute to helping each other's DIY level grow.

Those that debate the nuances of a prop, well, that's their chosen resolution of happiness...I still celebrate that even if I can't match it. But I think everyone here loves making stuff at whatever resolution is appropriate to them, and perhaps some with a drive to push for more on the next one. I don't expect anyone to bash someone for completing a joyous creation session of sitting in your house/shop/garage making something you are passionate about to the best of your abilities. That is freaking awesome bc before that it didn't exist except in your mind, and you found a drive to create it...that seems to me to be the essence of these forumns.

If you can't make screen accurate but want THAT, well...you can buy it maybe...but not really the point right?

And lastly...if you are making it looking for thousands of likes from others...I think I'd question the motivation for making it in the first place. Just do you, and be passionate about it. The hours slip away easily when you do, and others will appreciate the effort no matter the outcome!

Keep making!!!

I am both a DIY type and a screen accuracy enthusiast. I don't often buy from vendors who have created props that are supposedly better than the original (which is impossible by the way, if anything it's a detriment if the prop is of "supposed" higher quality.)

It is what you make it, there are a lot of great people around here who are in the same boat as you. I believe many are willing to hang out and enjoy what you've built regardless, and in my experience there has been some good mentors, people who are willing to lend their expertise and knowledge to your projects to assist you.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back