Is anyone an expert on Hogan's uniform from Hogan's Heroes?

Although the watch is never clearly shown, in fact in some episodes there is no watch - a Command Pilot of the USAAF would be issued a Hamilton, standard for pilots.

Decorations are incorrect for the period. Costumers frequently make errors in setup of military ribbons, likely that the available ribbons were used with the 'A' dress uniform, aka "Pinks and Greens", and because the uniform was seen briefly, "close enough" was good enough.
Based on the image viewed, these are the decorations :

Air Force Cross – Established in 1960 – period correct would be Distinguished Service Cross
Air Force Distinguished Service Medal – Established in 1960 - period correct would be Distinguished Service Medal
Silver Star Medal
Distinguished Flying Cross
Bronze Star Medal
Air Medal
Purple Heart
Air Force Commendation Medal – Established in 1958 – only period correct equivalent would be the Army Commendation Ribbon (medal added in 1947) in 1945 after the war
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award – Established in 1954 – no period correct equivalents for combat arms during World War II.
American Defense Service Medal
American Theater of Operations Campaign Ribbon – Established in 1942; medal added in 1947
European-North Africa-Middle East Theater of Operations Campaign Ribbon – Established in 1942; medal added in 1947
Hogan has three campaign stars on ribbon denoting Air Operations 1942-1944, Normandy, Central Europe.

Before you assemble the ribbons, double check the order of precedence, and be careful to ensure that ribbons are correctly mounted.

Medals of America can take the list and assemble it correctly, as to all devices and construction.

Good luck
Mac

It's 10 years later but I thought someone might still be following or using this for reference material...so:

I did extensive research and the best I can tell is Hogan's pants and shirt were authentic WWII "Pinks and Greens" His shirt had Capt wings over the pocket and Col Eagles on the collar tips as per regulation.
The jacket was Hollywood made repro which was also used in Von Ryans Express by Frank Sinatra (changing out the name tag and shoulder patch) Hogan had leather, sewn-on silver Col Eagles on the jacket shoulders and the Left sleeve had the regulation USAAF wings patch.
Don't know about shoes and belt. I suppose a standard WWII regulation belt with brass buckle will do.
I only found from here about FeatherWeight brand of hat and eventually found one. Keep searching eBay, WWII collectors forums and such. It cost about as much as any other similar 50 Mission Crusher (about $150 or so). I even spoke with Bob's son Scott who had the original costume, but he had given it away to an aviation museum and couldn't confirm the hat make. I contacted the museum who said they would check and get back to me...that was over 2 years ago.
I put together a replica cosutme consisting of: Featherweight 50 Mission Crusher cap, authentic USAAF shirt/pants/belt/pilot chest wings, Col. rand silver collar wings and for the jacket...
I contacted Wested Leather. I had them do a redesign of their Memphis Belle A2 jacket with the closest leather and interior I could to the research photos, I had a replica leather chest patch made and artificially aged it, found a set of NOS WWII Col (leather) shoulder eagles and an authentic NOS USAAF shoulder decal (I don't know If Hogan had a decal, some were actually painted on. Scott Crane said the finished product was amazing. Heres some reference shots (That's a replica WWI German Pickelhaube helmet just for that display

View attachment 1036490View attachment 1036491View attachment 1036493View attachment 1036494 h2.jpgh1.jpgh4.jpgHogan.jpg
h3.jpg

Ten years and I find my old posts. Anyway, the original props are at the Liberty Aviation Museum in Port Clinton, Ohio. I have pictures somewhere but you can probably just google the museum and find pictures. The jacket Hogan wore was not an A-2. It was a commercial near copy used by Frank Sinatra in... crap the movie title is alluding me. Missing the button down collar. His hat is not a true "crusher" but a standard hat with the stiffener removed. A true "crusher" will have a bill that folds in half because of single ply leather construction.

Trotsky, the answers you seek are in the post above you. You are correct about the aviation museum here are the photos.
20190710_191907.jpg
20190710_191855.jpg

Total thumbs up for this. Great display, however from a museum perspective to busy...and storing all of those mixed materials together is a nightmare. The textiles should exist in one display with the bobbles and props in a separate case. The films and photographs are another situation. In any case, still really great. Anybody think there is a market for enamel pins looking like the R.E. Hogan patch???

I’m piecing together a Cosplay Col. Hogan attire. It’s WIP for sure…and so far not cheap.

First off……

I need an opinion…..on the pins he wore on his shirt

It seems to me that the sizes of the pins may not have been the correct sizing that one would expect on an actual Colonel’s shirt back during WWII.

The 3 pins are the right side collar full bird colonel eagle, the left side collar propeller wings, and over the left shirt pocket flap was the command pilot wings.

From what I understand…..typically the command pilot wings for the shirt was 2” W, and the formal dress jacket was 3” W. From the reference pics below…..it looks like he wore a 3”W pin on his shirt.

Perhaps it was a camera’s visibility issue not to have the typical 2” W pin.

With the full bird colonel eagle on the right side collar ….the typical was 1” W……but it appears the size used on the collar was the larger typical jacket size of 1.5” W. Again, Perhaps it was a camera’s visibility issue not to have the typical 1” W pin.

See the ref pics below…..

I have both the sizes for both the outer wear and the shirt….

So which sizes would be closer to the screen used shirt? Not the real life typical shirt…

Am I closer using the 3” W command pilot wings for over the shirt pocket flap and the 1.5” W full bird colonel eagle on the collar?

For just these two pins ….is a head scratcher on capturing the right sizes used on film.

For the left side collar propeller with wings pin….I believe I have the right size…1” W….so I’m good there.

Any constructive opinions would be helpful.

Below disregard the double row pins, I was just comparing mixing and matching…..obviously the pins just over the shirt flap counts….not the first row of pins
93F89AF0-1B5A-4E11-9361-B05729F995ED.jpeg
74E2125D-FC81-462E-BF2E-790B540EB6C4.png
DDA44986-5F8A-46EF-B3F5-870C7D716660.png
D5154603-7CA2-4156-B113-90D39D749EBF.png
0CE43C6B-9F7B-4E54-933C-B2A74A0E502F.jpeg

Here’s how the shirt I have looks with the larger sized full bird colonel eagle and the larger sized over the shirt flap command pilot wings…..which is non-typical in real life………did I capture it correctly?

56AE0BA1-52BF-4615-A605-0CE24397287E.jpeg

Peace

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back