Is anyone an expert on Hogan's uniform from Hogan's Heroes?

CJP

I know that his jacket (from the second episode on) was the studio's version of a USAAF A2 pilot's jacket, but what about the other details? Shirt, pants, shoes?

His wings were Command Pilot wings, but is there any particular variation?

What kind of watch did he wear?

What ribbons did he wear on his dress uniform?

Was there a particular variation of crusher cap?

Are there any particular episodes or publicity photos on-line that highlight the fine details?

To have a replica made of his A2 variant, are there any recommended vendors that would accommodate the variations?

VP

I know that his jacket (from the second episode on) was the studio's version of a USAAF A2 pilot's jacket, but what about the other details? Shirt, pants, shoes?

His wings were Command Pilot wings, but is there any particular variation?

What kind of watch did he wear?

What ribbons did he wear on his dress uniform?

Was there a particular variation of crusher cap?

Are there any particular episodes or publicity photos on-line that highlight the fine details?

To have a replica made of his A2 variant, are there any recommended vendors that would accommodate the variations?

VP

I don't know the answers to any of those questions, but I saw an episode the other day with a smoking hot frauline in it, who Hogan out-foxed and had arrested by Maj. Hochstetter. The actress, named Sabrina Scharf, had a booming body, so I googled her, and guess who else she played on a 60s TV show. Miramanee--Kirk's/Kirok's Indian wife on The Paradise Syndrome. Turns out Sabrina was a Bunny at Hef's Chicago Playboy Mansion.

The Wook

Contact stephen210. He's knows quite a bit about props and costumes on the show.

His tag read:

COL. R. E. HOGAN

Is Featherwight a particular brand? Where is a good place for me to find a vintage cap of the correct model?

VP

(BTW, the wings I mentioned were on his shirt, under the jacket.)

h1.jpg
h2.jpg
h3.jpg
h4.jpg
h5.jpg

Here is a list of manufactures. The AAF pilots like the more flexable caps then the standard issue. I.E. Crush caps as they were called.
Bancroft and Feather Weight were two of the most popular from what I understand.

- BANCROFT
- BECKWITHS (Boston)
- BROWN Bros. (San Francisco, California)
- DOBBS FIFTH AVENUE (New-York, N.Y.)
- DUNHILL'S Inc. (Dayton, Ohio)
- FEATHER WEIGHT
- IMPERIAL CAP WORKS
- LEWIS FLY-WEIGHTER
- LUXEMBERG (New-York, N.Y.)
- B.PASQUALE Co. (San Francisco, Cal.)
- PETTIBONE BROS. Mfg. (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- SOCIETY BRAND CAP Co.
- THE FLIGHT WEIGHT
- WIMBLEDON REGULATION U.S. ARMY OFFICERS COMFORT CAPS

This is a great web site.
http://wing.chez-alice.fr/ETO_Militaria.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Hogan's Uniform was straight US Army Air Forces Officer, WPG should have everything save the A-2.
Try Aero or US Wings for the A-2, make sure it's a US WWII fitted one, not the modern baggy one.

As the rest of the uniforms:

-The British fellow was correctly attired for the frist episode, after that he wore USAF post 1947 Unifroms, including US Overseas caps with two buttons glued on the front

-The German Luftwaffe Uniforms were all West German with WWII insignia.

-Only the AMericans were done right, but I'm not complaining!

Hooooooogaaaaaaan!

Hogan's Uniform was straight US Army Air Forces Officer, WPG should have everything save the A-2.
Try Aero or US Wings for the A-2, make sure it's a US WWII fitted one, not the modern baggy one.

As the rest of the uniforms:

-The British fellow was correctly attired for the frist episode, after that he wore USAF post 1947 Unifroms, including US Overseas caps with two buttons glued on the front

-The German Luftwaffe Uniforms were all West German with WWII insignia.

-Only the AMericans were done right, but I'm not complaining!

Hooooooogaaaaaaan!

Are you saying Newkirk only wore an RAF uniform in the first episode, and the rest of the series he was wearing an American uniform?

And what's your take on the accuracy of the Gestapo uniforms, worn by Major Hochstetter and the others?

The Wook

And what's your take on the accuracy of the Gestapo uniforms, worn by Major Hochstetter and the others?

That uniform was only worn by Allgemeine SS. And not during wartime, either.

Gestapo didn't wear that uniform. They didn't wear a uniform, period. SD did, though.

Are you saying Newkirk only wore an RAF uniform in the first episode, and the rest of the series he was wearing an American uniform?

The Wook

YEP!
Actually, only the hat Newkirk wore was British in the first episode, everything else was American. The USAF used a blue Ike jacket from 1947 to the mid-1950s. The hat he wore after the first episode (or two, I cannot remember, hell, it might have been the first season) was a typical USAF overseas cap from the 1960s with two buttons on it. They even did the typical "American" thing and peaked the front and back. I have absolutly no idea why they reverted back, maybe the original prop was lost?
I suppose accuracy is never an issue and most Americans could care less at that point in the 1960s.

The Gestopo Uniforms looked quite decent, typical Hollywood props that conform enought to get the job done. Knowing some basics of propping in the 1960s, those uniforms may very well have been well tailored from the 1940s.

You must remember something though: I am a collector and reenactor of WWII and therefore am overly anal about stuff. It's a terrible disease!

What is Hogan's name tag is it a patch or a piece of leather ? and any thoughts on how to find one.

aljf:cool

This is where I bought my cap, paid over $100 at the time. It has had some WWII vets think it was vintage.

Caps:
http://www.garciaaviation.com/cgi-local/storepro5/agora.cgi?cart_id=781794.38526*Mz1wu5&product=Flight_Helmets_&_Accessories

Name Tags:
http://www.garciaaviation.com/cgi-local/storepro5/agora.cgi?cart_id=781794.38526*Su8j12&p_id=01101&xm=on

What Price Glory has excellent items as well.
http://www.whatpriceglory.com/

WWII Impressions as well:
http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/

A2 leather jackets for under $100. The site is currently under construction. I think I paid $89 for a brown leather A2 from them a few years ago. Really comfortable and if you trash it you're only out less than $100 instead of $400+.
http://www.airborne-leathers.com/6801.html

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back