Is anybody actually making kits right now?

Predatormv

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As the title says, I’m not beating around the bush, is anyone making studio scale x,a,b or Y wings as a full kit? I want one. I want a kit that has everything part wise in it I don’t want to go searching for pipes or pantyhose’s or other model kits for parts I want everything in one box, I don’t care if the kit is difficult to build that’s fine.

So that’s it. If you make one or know some one who does message me. I hate being vague .

If you don't want to go searching for anything, and I mean this not to sound harsh, this may not be a hobby for you. That isn't how this hobby works. It never has and it never will, probably. No one has ever sold a "turn key" kit, and if anything, I see things going in a more a la carte DIY direction with castings and part availability. You are always going to have to make a Plastruct order, or find something here and there to finish it. That's what most people dig about this stuff.

I will second that. There will always be small bits that need to be ordered, like plastruct tubes and such for a y-wing. All of that stuff is available online, and easy to source.

Studio scale modeling (and I’m fairly new to it), is a very unique hobby in that way. If you want complete kits out of the box, then the smaller Bandai kits are probably your best bet. Nothing in SS modeling comes easy. That’s part of the fun...at least it is for me.

Ok, that's a fair point. I just look at some of these things and it's like ok here is this kit and then go find 200 other parts from other people that haven't made them in 10 years or more. That's not really something I have the energy or budget for.

If it's just stuff like that, plastic sheets etc that's fine but people have made kits in the past and I'm just asking if people are still producing any now. I see new builds of stuff all the time but then those kits weren't produced in 15 years so I'm confused.

I don't buy the bandai stuff because it's small.

Not to knock the guy, but the last Korbanth Kit I bought was his 1/24 U-wing. About 50% of the kit needs to be reworked/rebuilt. I’ll be scratch building all 4 engines, and the wings. In fairness, I do not know how his x-wing kit is, quality-wise.

I don’t know if Mike Salzo is still casting his x-wing kit. It’s superb right out of the box. I have 6 of them, and his casting, and design work (well, him and Jason Eaton’s design work) is incredible. They build out of box, and you won’t find a more accurate, and detailed SS x-wing anywhere.

Last edited:
Well there are different levels of budget, there are "go out and buy every donor kit there was budget" which I don't have, there is "kits were produced years ago but not since and people are hoarding them and occasionally sell them budget", which I may or may not have, and then there are "kits are made right now budget" that last one I liekly fall into. And I didn't say I was going to buy all of those options if all of them were available but I didn't want to say I only wanted an X-wing and someone makes A-wings and doesn't contact me and no x-wings are being made so I don't get either. And I have seen the Studio Kitbash Y-wing nurnies kit to go along with the 3d printed stuff from Dave G and I do have a 3d printer that sometimes works. Again I just wanted to see what options were out there.

A couple of people have already reached out to me with help and I'm thankful for those that have.

Stay away from all things Korbanth. Even if you roll the dice and get an acceptable casting from his multiple casters, they all seem to use mold release, so paint WILL NOT stick to it. I GUARANTEE it. You know how those kits are inexpensive compared to others? Well, you get what you pay for. I hate seeing subpar kits flood the market and color the experiences of newer or even seasoned builders.

I hadn’t thought about the mold release issue. Good point. I seem to remember you went through hell with a Tie X1, trying to get paint to stick.

It’s too bad, he seems to have some decent patterns.

Studio Kitbash greeblies are phenomenal. A fantastic and great start to the Y-Wing. If you travel down this path, please know that there are kits to buy such as two Saturn 5 rocket kits, Tee bar and so on. I have traveled down this rabbit hole and it is not a cheap adventure. However, it is and has been a lot of fun and glad that I have the opportunity to build my own Y-Wing.

There are kits available.
Places like Korbanth Sabers, Modeler Magic, and Masterpiece Models. Randy has some great kits too.
A few subscriptions are available such as an 8th scale Back to the Future Delorean and Star Wars part works just to name a few.
I also see kits on ebay now and again including studio scale Y-Wing, Tie fighter and others.
Last and not least... some facebook groups such as JPG Productions sell kits.

So please look around as there are plenty of amazing kits around to be had and built.

Wow, looking at all that makes me wish I could win the lottery. lol

Stay away from all things Korbanth. Even if you roll the dice and get an acceptable casting from his multiple casters, they all seem to use mold release, so paint WILL NOT stick to it. I GUARANTEE it. You know how those kits are inexpensive compared to others? Well, you get what you pay for. I hate seeing subpar kits flood the market and color the experiences of newer or even seasoned builders.

Does the Mold release not come off? I thought you could wash the parts with warm soapy (dish soap with degreaser) water.

Does the Mold release not come off? I thought you could wash the parts with warm soapy (dish soap with degreaser) water.
Apparently, many people had problems with paint adhesion even after the wash with dish detergent.
The 1/24 U-wing I have from him, (which I’ll get to scratch building replacement parts for someday), I took a step further and after the washdown, I wiped it with a rag saturated with acetone. Primer sticks to the fuselage , but oh, the pinholes.....

There are some resins that tend to sweat if not mixed in the proper ratio or are not mixed well enough. Cleaning with acetone or isopropyl only fixes it for a short time. The paint will stick at first, and then as the piece sweats again, the paint will rub off. There is a way to seal it, as I've heard a guy in the UK use some local stuff (that I can't remember now) that managed to stick and seal, and would take paint well. I guess you have to experiment.
Eventually it will stop, but I've had a piece that I've cleaned with isopropyl several times over a two year period, and it still has issues.

TazMan2000

As the title says, I’m not beating around the bush, is anyone making studio scale x,a,b or Y wings as a full kit? I want one. I want a kit that has everything part wise in it I don’t want to go searching for pipes or pantyhose’s or other model kits for parts I want everything in one box, I don’t care if the kit is difficult to build that’s fine.
So that’s it. If you make one or know some one who does message me. I hate being vague .

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back