Is all the artwork used in prop making original?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

ScreenFashions

I don't really know who could answer this besides someone who's worked in prop making for films. But here goes. Is there a commonly used source for the graphics and images used in prop making for film and television? Or is it mostly original artwork? I personally would rather take advantage of any public domain graphics instead of having to draw every single logo or illustration. But then it's not my job to make props, lol.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I believe there is a newspaper prop that is used in many different movies, but that may be an in-joke like the Wilhelm Scream. Otherwise, the art department is not paid to grab clip-art off the internet.

JoshuaV

Most graphic art we used in the Art Dept was indeed our own art, if it was background art however we would use dated sources like stickers or pamphlets from the 70's or 80's and scribble over them to obscure any notable features. Graphics that are hero graphics however with notable screen time, we would create from scratch.

Most art departments have in house printers and laminators to replicate things like stickers or signs, posters, and so on. So mostly things are digitally created, fast, and sent to print.

That said there is royalty free graphics and art out there, which is mostly used for background filler, or set dressing.

Hope this helps!