Is .060" PETG thick enough for a visor?

Pyrotechx

I am working on my Rinzler costume and I am trying to figure out the best material to use for the visor. I have come down to three different materials. I will either use .060 PETG, .093 Lexan, or .093 Acrylic for the vacuum formed visor. The lexan and acrylic can be bought at home depot, but is more expensive.

I can get 2 sheets (two tries) of .060 PETG online and delivered by the 21st. My only concern is, will it be thick enough? I do not want the thickness of a two liter for my visor. I feel that the acrylic or lexan would work MUCH better, but it is so expensive for one try (and id most likely screw up the first try).

So, has anyone used .060 PETG before for vacuum forming and is it actually thick enough to be worthy of a visor?

I've used .040 thickness for a safety shield, it worked well attached only along 1 edge, though flexible. I think a formed (not flat) .060 would work great for your visor, but it might pull down too thin when you form it. Might just have to give it a go? I've never vac'd PETG, and I'm not sure how much material thickness you'll lose over your form. Maybe try .080?

Alright, thanks... Yea, I might have to just test it out :( haha, hate not making very much money at my job :( I thought a college education was supposed to help fund these types of hobbies! I have to work 1 hour at my job to be able to test 1 sheet, lol.

Trust me I know.... I have a beautiful framed diploma from the University of Wisconsin that cost me probably $40,000, and has made me..... A beautifully framed piece of artwork in my office. :lol

Just bought some .060" PETG for my vacuum formed Rinzler visor. Anyone else have any input on this or should I hurry and cancel my ebay order? haha

It's amazing how little information is out there on actual dimensions. Literally there are forums for Guy's helm from Daft Punk, but not one person mentions size -.-

Last edited:
Just bought some .060" PETG for my vacuum formed Rinzler visor. Anyone else have any input on this or should I hurry and cancel my ebay order? haha

It's amazing how little information is out there on actual dimensions. Literally there are forums for Guy's helm from Daft Punk, but not one person mentions size -.-

The Daft Punk builders routinely use 1/16 PETG for their visors. It's flimsy, but it works.

The Daft Punk builders routinely use 1/16 PETG for their visors. It's flimsy, but it works.

not sure I enjoy the idea of "flimsy"... This is the visor piece that I am trying to form, maybe the edges will make it less flimsy. Ideas?

Right piece
2qpSYBW.jpg

May I ask what kind of former you have running? I've tried to form the acrylic you can buy at Home Depot.....it takes an ungodly amount of heat to form anything, plus the plastic isn't as pliable as a material like styrene or PETG.

Those edges will make it A LOT stronger. Once it's secure, I think you'll be fine.

Good to hear! I'll be getting in the PETG in a few days and hopefully have a visor piece the same day.

May I ask what kind of former you have running? I've tried to form the acrylic you can buy at Home Depot.....it takes an ungodly amount of heat to form anything, plus the plastic isn't as pliable as a material like styrene or PETG.

I'll just be using some home made former with a shop vac, so nothing special. Still haven't even built the former yet :/, just not sure if I should go out and buy $20 worth of wood or just use scraps. I feel like I should put in the effort for a solid former, but once I am done, I will have literally no space to store it (I live in an apartment with no storage).

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back