Ironman MK4 Build

Quantum Stan

IMG_20190310_044707.jpg 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190222181356327_COVER.jpg This is my first EVA foam build.
I've built my chest using 8mm but I'm switching to 6mm as it's a bit easier to work with for me.
Helmet 6mm
Chest 8mm

Last edited:
IMG_20190313_173137.jpg Prepared my first Glove today. I posted an album to the gallery I'll be loading the full build as I progress.
The LED puck is remote control with auto rotate or manual, there is a short video in Gallery.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190315162354679_COVER_2.jpg 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190315162400250_COVER.jpg
Finished the combination forearm/elbow/hand plate today for the arms. Size adjustable Velcro in place.
Heat gun broke today so the biceps will have to wait until I go to town, I heat seal after I clean up with Dremel prior to gluing, as the glue bonds better on sealed edges. Once bonded I shape as needed, and heat seal once more. Ready for Plastidip.

I just happened to watch Iron Man II today ^_^ it helps to get inspiration for your projects
Wishing you the best of luck for your build!

What method did you use for sealing and painting your suit? Plastidip? Flexbond? Acrylic/Spray paints?
Hello TKRalph,
After cutting my pieces I clean up edges with a Dremel if needed then I heat seal prior to assembly, after assembly I use 3 coats of Plastidip then paint...for the MK-4 suit I'm using Red Plastidip with Silver metalizer, and the Gold will be a combination of paint and a gold flex fabric. I've tried Mod Podge but I do not care for the brush strokes that are apparent after spray painting.

Last edited:
mk-4-assemble-1.jpg
Today will be shoulder/bicep day, made me a little mod to my "foamy dude" body so I can hold each piece...comes in handy for painting as well. Velcro is an amazing tool. Cost= $5.99 foam head, the rest all scrap materials.

3.22-sizing-testfit-3.jpg 3.22-sizing-testfit-5-back.jpg 3.22-sizing-testfit-paintCheck.jpg 3.22-testfit-chest-arms.jpg
Sizing test before Plastidip, I guess the arms could have been scaled down, but not to bad.
Each pattern/design is so different, because I even sampled my measurements with my pattern before cutting foam, but that's part of the fun "learning"!
Chest piece has a sample photo layover for color match.
Biceps are interchangeable for different MK variations (3,4,6,7,8,9), forearm and hand plate combo velcro to elbow piece for arm variations.

Last edited:
I'm really curious about the forearms, because I'm working on a Mk4/Mk6 forearm assembly myself. Are there two sides in your picture different or is that a trick of the camera that your left arm looks more compact? If they are different, which do you like better? How much extra space is there inside?

I'm really curious about the forearms, because I'm working on a Mk4/Mk6 forearm assembly myself. Are there two sides in your picture different or is that a trick of the camera that your left arm looks more compact? If they are different, which do you like better? How much extra space is there inside?
Hello, No actually they are the same, there's plenty of room, I could have scaled down some a bit big for me but I printed a set of plans reduced by 10% and not a huge difference.
I just put a right arm picture up.

DrCyanide Quantum Stan I would suggest you make paper test pieces of whatever body part you wish to craft/scale.It's cheaper and saves a lot of frustration.Suit progress looking good,Stan !
Thanks George, Actually I did size with my pattern, but it was not linear, so some sections needed 100% scale some 90-95% I have modded "foamy" the homemade manikin to my dimensions and that helped a lot.

Today will be ABS day, I also have multiple versions of helmets I'm working on, I've merged a design that is now minimal pieces using inward cuts, outward cuts and undercuts.
I'm working on adding the flip face plate to a couple versions using heat gun molded polystyrene face plates, re-enforced sides, and chin pieces. These pieces actually go over the foam allowing quick paint coverage, and a gloss smooth surface.
My son is also running a 3-4 section 3D Helmet file today, the chin is currently running I'm watching via live feed he's in Ohio.
3D-print-run-chin-IM.jpg 3D-print-run-chin-IM-2.jpg cut-poly-plates.jpg mk4-15-helmet-v-groove.jpg

Last edited:
mk-4-abs.jpg
Been busy at my job... back at it today, finished my ABS, did another size check, chest piece now is a little tight now so adding some elastic on the sides.
Goal next 2 days... Cod, Thigh's and some Plastidip spray coatings.

Did a test fit, I have to do a few mods for size and fit, I'm using some Red YAYA HAN Cosplay 4 way stretch fabric, with 1 coat of metalizer to fill arms, legs, and cod areas. It will also be used to "flex" the suit in areas of stress to provide ample room to move freely. I learned from my first con the cosplay gear must be comfortable. This red matches the Plastidip pretty close.
Remaining...Cod and final touches on the fully wearable boots/shin armor.
test-fit.jpg red-plastidip-match.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back