Ironman Mark VI - Foam - Australia - First time build

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by madrick, May 15, 2012.

1. madrick

madrick Active Member

Hey all!
    I've been super keen to build an ironman suit FOREVAR! and recently discovered Stealths youtube videos, TheHeroTutorials - YouTube (yeah I know, took me a while), thanks Stealth! Anyway, I thought I'd post my progress and what not.

I'm using the Ironman MarkVI foam pepakura templates made by Robo3687 and edited by Stealth (thanks HEAPS guys) that I got from this thread http://www.therpf.com/f24/robo3687-iron-man-mark-4-6-pepakura-128147/

I used the tutorial by XTreme Tactics on scaling the suit How To Scale Your Pepakura Armour-Tutorial

I've gathered all my materials. For all you Aussies out there
    - Hot glue gun and sticks from $2 shop
    - Steal ruler, scissors, pins from Officeworks
    - A4 210gsm paper (to print pepakura onto) from Officeworks
    - Foam from Kmart. It was in the camping section, it's a 10mm thick, EVA camping mat, cost $7. They also have a 5mm thick one for $6.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll keep you all updated. :)

2. GriZzm0

GriZzm0 New Member

How is the 210gram paper? I know you're building with foam, but if you would build with the paper is it just stiff enough or is it stiffer than needed? I'm thinking about going with 160gram paper as I'm not sure if my printer can handle 200gram (nothing in the manual). But I'm afraid it wont be stiff enough. :/

Good luck btw. ;)

3. madrick

madrick Active Member

The 210gsm paper is quite firm/ like light cardboard. In all honesty I've never built a proper pepakura, so I can't tell you if it is good. For stenciling the designs onto foam though, yeah it's working well.
    The paper did get jammed in my printer lol so I had to use the 'standing' paper shoot. (So the paper didn't have to bend in the machine).

Thanks! :D

4. madrick

madrick Active Member

Well I traced out the designs onto the foam. I did one side using pen and the other using a thick permo. The permo is more visible and was easier to use.

[​IMG]

5. madrick

madrick Active Member

Alright, so here is my first attempt at making a pepakura costume. I chose to do the chest first and have learnt A LOT from the process.

Here is all the parts cut out (so many)
    [​IMG]

Here's the chest put together. As you can see my glue work is shocking and pretty rough with cutting.
    [​IMG]

After the results I wanted to take what I had learnt and redo it. I altered some of the pepakura and attached some of the parts I thought didn't have to be seperate.
    [​IMG]

I'm currently putting it together now, so we'll see how it goes! :)

6. Nattosan71

Nattosan71 New Member

Nice to see a local off at a good start. Your build looks great; can't wait to see more progress. Started my first project this week... Good luck.

7. Rinzler

Rinzler Well-Known Member

Go the Aussies on here :)

8. Tychan

Tychan New Member

Looks good so far. Where abouts in Australia are you located?

9. madrick

madrick Active Member

Alrighty! So I redid the chest piece, main differences being cleaner glueing and I edited some of the pieces.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the side of the chest. I didn't put the hole at the top, I didn't put the slit in the middle and I joined two of the pieces at the bottom.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here is the top of the chest. One of the sections had 3 seperate pieces, I didn't think this necessary.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Whilst I was waiting at the chicken shop yesterday for my order, I ducked over to the $2 shop and found these.
    [​IMG]

Don't know about you but I sometimes have issues with glue sticks getting stuck in my glue gun (cheap glue gun), I have a feeling these might help. They're just double length gluesticks. 6 for $2! oh yeahhhh

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  10. madrick

madrick Active Member

haha great to see some other Aussie blokes on here. I'm from Vic, how about yourselves?

11. Rinzler

Ballina Northern NSW here madrick :)

12. Cbstudios

Cbstudios Active Member

Wooo More Aussies!!! Love the progress on that chest piece, Man! What are your plans for surfacing/painting?

13. madrick

madrick Active Member

I actually have no idea on how to paint this. I'll have to do some lurking and see what everyone else is doing and the results they're getting. Any suggestions?

14. Berserk

Berserk Well-Known Member

Lol, I love how many people have asked where in Australia you are and you keep ignoring them. Awesome!

15. venator

venator Member

He said he's in Victoria :)

As am I, as it turns out :p

16. venator

venator Member

Oh Madrick, what most people do is do a few coats of PVA glue (50% diluted with water, some don't dilute it at all, so maybe test it on some scraps).

Check out XRobots thread on plastic coating foam, that's my plan once I finish assembling my mark 7 armor :)

I've found it hard to get decent Eva foam (except 12 mm thick from clark rubber), how much was yours out of curiosity, and where did you source it?

17. Rinzler

Cheap EVA foam in Oz, I found Crazy Clarks cheap shops camp mats the cheapest around here (Clark Rubber is sooooo overpriced)

18. madrick

madrick Active Member

Hey Rinzler! As I mentioned above I got my foam from Kmart, it's a 10mm thick, EVA camping mat. Cost $8 a roll. They've also got 5mm thick for $6. Not sure if it's at all Kmart though. Should check it out because Clark Rubber is definately a rip.

Thanks venator, I checked out XRobot and he's got some great stuff. I like the outcome of his painting method so I'll probably give it a try when the time comes.

Any of you going to Comic Con this year??? First time in Australia!

19. madrick

madrick Active Member

Well that was a bit of a challenge! I ended up building the back TWICE haha, I just wasn't satisfied. Had to do a little modification to the back because it turned out very curved, kind of like a tortoise shell... but anywho, here is what I have so far!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm going to do the abs next.

20. DavidFrommi18

DavidFrommi18 Active Member

This is brilliant work mate.... Clean pep. I've found it complicated as well.

Im a Aussie as well. In Geelong

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  21. Berserk

Berserk Well-Known Member

Already been in Adelaide. It was pretty awesome, make sure you book tickets online though. They weren't prepared for the crowd and they line up was 2hours! If you booked online, just find one of the staff wandering around and they let you straight in, NO LINE!!!

22. madrick

madrick Active Member

23. longlenium

longlenium New Member

woohhh hoooo goooo ozzy

24. roberale

roberale New Member

Hey guys, Vic here also, keep up the good work. Do us proud :) Cheers

25. rowdyforest

rowdyforest New Member

Hey madrick, thanks for the tip about getting the foam from Kmart. I'm from QLD.
    I'm working on an Iron Man Helmet in fibreglassing style at the moment but plan on having a go at the foam method once I'm done and compare. Then I'll decide what I'll make the rest of my suit from.

Your suit's looking good. I'll be checking in so make sure you keep us updated :)

26. Tychan

Tychan New Member

For those talking about Oz Comic Con, I feel I should link you guys to this:
    The Great Oz Comic-Con | Gizmodo Australia

Back to the original topic, your build seems to be going well. I'm surprised that the foam mats are cheaper over here in Perth ($5 for the 5mm and $7 for the 10mm). Did you guys also get a doubling in the price of cardstock when Officeworks switched from Quill to their own brand?

27. madrick

madrick Active Member

Thanks rowdy, I'll keep everyone updated on my progress! :)

Thanks for the link Tychan. All I can say about you guys getting cheaper foam... WTF! haha I haven't bought cardstock from officeworks before so I'm unaware if there's been a price change.

I'm thinking of building the brace before I continue on with anything else. Any tips or things people think I should be aware of? Or, just simply, building the brace pep provided is good? (i'm also lurking the forums right now to help with this)

28. madrick

madrick Active Member

Completed the abdominal section.
    [​IMG]

I plan to use two buckles to strap the piece around my waist.
    [​IMG]

I don't actually know how the suit comes together though... lol does anyone know if you glue the abs to the chest piece or are they left as seperate pieces?

29. venator

venator Member

Yep I'll be going to ozcomicon on the Saturday, though it looks like I'll be moving between now and then so it's doubtful I'll finish my suit by then :(

30. Demolition

Demolition Well-Known Member

Hi mate nice clean build i glue the abs to the cod and just velcro it to the chest and back, Just i word of warning tho reading thro your thread i see your adding bit together to make bigger bits but they are separate for a reason and by making them one your losing lots of detail on your suit there should be a step in the collar piece your joined and the chest also there's a couple of step pieces missing from the back and the back of the abs these steps are made by using the thickness of the foam hope this helps

31. firebapx

firebapx Well-Known Member

hey man i hope you dont mind i featured your build on the iron man armour facebook page heres a link if you wanna see Iron man armour uk | Facebook
    all armour builders welcome not just iron man we love seeing your work :)
    great build buddy

32. madrick

madrick Active Member

Venator: What suit were you building? If it's on the forums, link it so I can check it out?

Demolition: Hey mate, thanks for the advice. I will make sure to leave the parts as they are from now on! Thanks for pointing out some of the steps I missed. I didn't even realise I'd missed some of those! I'll have to be a little more observant from now on.
    Only problem now... I want to go back and rebuild it all again! haha

Firbapx: That's not a problem! Thanks for that!

33. madrick

madrick Active Member

Shoulder construction is coming along! SHould be finished today.
    [​IMG]

34. madrick

madrick Active Member

Shoulders complete! I don't have a manican so I just put the suit on a pillow lol I think I might put a step on the round parts of the shoulder. That way they stick out a little.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

35. Rinzler

How are you going to paint this, you get your hands on plastidip (performix down-under)?

36. venator

venator Member

Madrick, oh I never started a thread. I'd started building the mark 3, did the chest and back...but I was using 12mm foam which was too hard to work with, so while waiting for my 6mm to arrive I saw Avengers and decided I wanted the mrk7 instead... So then I made a shoulder, bicep and forearm but the forearm was way too small (I'm 6'4 and relatively built) and could only get it halfway up my forearm, haha.

I got my helmet though (from j0wE) and so I might paint that up and just wear that :p

37. madrick

madrick Active Member

38. TelnetCarlos

TelnetCarlos Member

good luck, so far things are looking good.

39. Lukey18101990

Lukey18101990 New Member

Hey there,

It's my first time building an iron man suit as well out of foam, I'm from Perth, W.A, i bought some 3mm EVA foam from Clark Rubber, it's grade is 75, I tried to make the forearm but it came out retarded, did you have to heat up each piece and then shape it or did it naturally shape as you put the pieces together?

Cheers.

40. PariahAU

PariahAU New Member

thanks for the heads up about the camping mat, never thought of that.

have used the EVA mats (12mm) from clark rubber as well and find they hold shape really well, but are painfull to shape without a heat gun.

your build is looking fantastic. good to see another "local" on here :)

@Tychan: as for the officeworks cardstock, i didn't notice the change in price as much as the sudden complete lack of cardstock (went from large choice in weights to only 80/210GSM)

41. P4r4dox86

P4r4dox86 Well-Known Member

Hi All. Another Aussie here from Adelaide.

This is my first post, I only joined up yesterday, however I've been stalking the site for a while getting ideas for projects. I noticed this thread a little while back and your suit is looking awesome mate.

I'm currently working on a Cap. America (Avengers Movie Version) and I'm planning on using foam with a urethane coating, as per Xrobots method, for the helmet and I've picked up my foam from Kmart as well after having seen your post. Before that I was at a bit of a loose end. It seems good quality and it's cheap, so thanks for the idea.

As for heatguns for foam forming, I picked one of these up from my local Bunnings yesterday for $20, haven't tried it yet, but it seems just as good as the rest but a simplified version and much cheaper.

XU1 Heat Gun - Bunnings Warehouse

The same brands makes a mini rotary tool that I picked up for $20 as well which should come in handy.

42. madrick

madrick Active Member

Venator: I was weary about the costume not fitting either! I'm 6" and well built. I used the scaling methods from XTreme Tactics How To Scale Your Pepakura Armour-Tutorial

I've just built an arm (which was the big test for me, making sure the arms weren't to small) and it fit!

Pariah + Telnet: THanks mate :)

Lukey: Hey Lukey! I didn't have to heat up most of the pieces. I just followed the pepakura designs and it came along REASONABLY well. Not good all the time, sometimes you have to edit some things so they fit. Why this happens? No idea haha

P4r4: Welcome! This place has been an invaluable source of info. Good luck with your Cap. AMerica costume. If you have any questions, I know everyone on here will be more than happy to help.
    You should make a thread of your progress?
    Thankyou for the heads up on the rotary tool, I was interested in getting one of these to smooth out some rough edges.
    http://www.bunnings.com.au/products...ch=XU1+&searchType=any&searchSubType=products

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  43. AkiBadtrip

AkiBadtrip Member

Looking great! I regret not making a detailed post like yours. I started mine last Feb of this year and probably went on a 2month hiatus from 3rd week of March and just continued earlier this month. I'm glad to see things are working out for you. There are tons of info out there that can help you with this build. Like TheHeroTutorials from STEALTH on Youtube

Cheers mate :cheers

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  44. madrick

madrick Active Member

Aki: Thanks Aki! If you have any more photos you should make a thread anyway! You could also talk about the remainder of what you have left.

To all the Aussies! Unfortunately we can't get Plasti-dip as easily and as cheap as our American counter parts. From what I see they can get it for about $6 a can! I look on the Aus plasti dip site and they want $33 not including postage!!! I really want this suit to turn out good so I'm going to take the plunge. The cheapest I could find is on eBay Performix 11203-6 11oz. Black Plasti Dip Spray Can | eBay $6 a can but postage is gonna be a bit.

According to How To Make Halo Spartan Armor it takes approx. 8 cans to do a full Halo Spartan Armor, so I'm going to get 8. It's going to cost $165.67 including postage (about $55 without postage) :\
    hmmmm the things we do

45. Rinzler

We need to find out who retails it in what cities. My closest would be Gold Coast & Brisbane, would love to find somewhere I could pick some up while up visiting family (1hours drive for me).

Surely some Aussie members might have some info on who might sell it over counter, I have heard Repco and Jaycar might but haven't heard anything back from them yet).

46. SChristides

SChristides New Member

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  47. P4r4dox86

@Madrick: Thanks man, I actually started up a thread yesterday, so I'll see how I go! Yup, that is the mini rotary that I got. Again, haven't tried it yet, but it seems to just be a smaller, simpler version of the Dremel ones, so it should do the trick for the minor stuff I'll need it for. I hope yours comes in handy as well.

That post that SChristides has linked to is the technique I'm going to be trying out on my Cap helmet if I can get the foam to do what I want initially. The Smooth-On 65D that he mentions is a Smooth On product, and the distributor list for outside of the US is here:

| International Stocking Distributors | Mold Making and Casting Materials Rubber, Plastic, Lifecasting, and More

Luckily for me, the Aussie guy who stocks it is here in Adelaide! So I've already contacted him last week and he stocks it. Here is the price listing he sent me:
    Not sure how much you'd need for a whole suit though...so it could get expensive. Even more so than the Plasti-Dip.

48. Rinzler

My wife is going to Adelaide this afternoon I got a dirty look from her when I asked her to get some for me since she's going down for a baby shower :S

49. P4r4dox86

LOL! Where abouts is she traveling from to get to Adelaide? Is it a long trip for her or a bit of a short jaunt? Because if it's a decent journey just tell her you're trying to be efficient :p

50. Rinzler

Ballina NSW to Adelaide, but she's gone now and they may query it in her bag :S