Ironman helmet question

Gumbyack454

I have a question. If I made my ironman helmet out of foam is there any way to get it hard, like if I were doing it the paper/resin way?

I just have trouble with the thin cutouts that give the pepakura the depth. They always rip on me and I am using 110lb card stock. Appreciate the help guys... Thank you

I made an Ironman suit out of foam and I was told it looked right out of the movies, I had to explain what it was made out of and no one believed me. You know they have the foamies sheet at Michael's and hobby lobby that are sticky back, I wonder if you could print out the pep files of heavy paper and stick it to the foamies and cut it out and fold it so the papers on the inside, i bet that would make it pretty rigid.

technically you should be able to resin the outside of your foam to make it hard..
just do a testrun with your resin on your foam (some resins can eat up some foames)
then the helmet would be as hard on the outside as a pepped resinned one.

Hmm I know what you mean and I am building mine from cardstock with the resin approach. I know it will be heavier and will be longer, but I want something that is pretty durable and of course, shiny! ;) And yes, I know I said it takes longer, and it does, but I mean it takes LONGER. lol! I am also building a Trooper suit from ToR and the helmet alone has taken me a week to build from cardstock, and the level of detail on it, I am thinking of skipping the filler part to maintain the detail of the gear, or at least the helmet and just do a resin coat on the outside.

I'm going down the Card/Resin way. It is taking a while but once its done it'll look great.
Just like Duke said, xrobots is a great place for advice on foam builds

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back