Ironman Helmet hinge with Video Demo

One trick I did with the hinges in my helmet was to get a piece of threaded rod the same pitch as the Chicago screws, and cut it to length so it was about 5/8" shorter than the width of the inside of the helmet. Once you figure out the correct mounting position, put the receiving end of the Chicago screws on the rod and adjust them so the rod fits snugly against the helmet wall and epoxy it in place. This way the mounting points stay parallel, and the hinge works smoothly. The rod diameter isn't very big, so cutting it in a couple places with a pair of cutters to unscrew the rod from the mounted screw ends is easy.

I agree! This is a very good tip... simple yet very effective. I had not thought about it. Thanks for sharing.

Dude this is awesome!! Gonna be building a mkIII-esque helmet very soon and was unsure how to motorise! You've done this forum a service showing off your amazing work so kudos!!

Mockle, what kind of button are you using for opening/closing the helmet? And where will you put the button--mount somewhere on the armor? Trying to envision how to do the button on mine. I thought I'd do voice activation, but can seem to get my computer and EasyVR talking so will probably revert to a button.

Mockle, what kind of button are you using for opening/closing the helmet? And where will you put the button--mount somewhere on the armor? Trying to envision how to do the button on mine. I thought I'd do voice activation, but can seem to get my computer and EasyVR talking so will probably revert to a button.

I was thinking in glove? Shorter cable then in chest. Now in chest where you Place it is up too you. I'd suggest a reed switch with magnet in glove. Voice would be a great way if you can find the program I came close but never did get it. So I have my room setup. Been doing some work I'll hope to show more work soon been behind a bad power curve :). So does that help ;)

Long over due ordered parts great to see folks doing there thing with the hinges, so after seeing other ways a single servo pulling in which I still never got around to getting that expensive one.

A upper double action on top push instead of pull. have the hinge action down... its a matter of the servo setup needs worked on so hope soon to see some progress on that.
seem trychick is on to something there..:thumbsup

As well as the other hinge method working on..

Thanks to everyone on there input...

:lol cable... lol yes bike or picture wire works... and yes push rods I like the adjustable set to give a go at...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back