IRONMAN Easy Cut FOAM building

I believe this is it:

Pactiv 1/4" x 4' x 50' Insulated Sheathing
Shop Pactiv 1/4" x 4' x 50' Insulated Sheathing at Lowes.com

Uncle, I think you may have found it or something close to what Grimppy uses. Reading further into your link it appears this one customer uses this material for building quick RC airplane wings and claims it is quite durable. I'll try a visit to my Lowes to see whats up. Good work on the find. :thumbsup

Wow! Can't believe how talented you guys are! To build something like that from scratch, I wouldn't even know where to start! With other foam builds you could see the foam texture after the paint job but it looks like you may be able to get a smooth finish. Really curious to see how it will look when complete!

One tip Grimmpy, why not sand the foam first, flat. Like say with a d.a. sander to make the foam smooth, then assemble. That way you wouldn't be trying to sand in three dimensions. It'll already be done.

9177-detail-sanding-foam.jpg

Sanding the earpiece. you can see that i get rid of the textured surface :)
Nice it cleans up very well. Great work

Yo!

So I found the stuff and checked it out. It is the stuff from Lowes.

So I here are my observations.

I didn't buy it. The reason is, I am worried about the strength of the material compared to EVA. When I bent the board past 45 degrees it snapped and cracked. I am not sure how one would repair this. With EVA, I could punt my war machine helmet and you wouldn't be able to tell.

That being said, I could see how you make a prop with incredible detail and very sharp lines. I would just worry about durability. I think that the way to use this would be as a supplement. Much in the way we use 2mm foamies for detail work, I think this polystrene board could be used. Compared to foamies, it is much more rigid and just as easy to cut and work with.

I am also concerned about how it would take paint. I think plastic dip may work, but I doubt other methods.

I am interested in how the OP's paint job will turn out and how durable the entire suit would be.

Keep in mind, I build these things for Halloween, and then get very rowdy in them. For competition or to show off at a con, this material may be prefect.

Thanks Shades for your review. Kinda thought that would be the case.

GrimppyDinky, is this the same with what your using? If so, how do you get over the possibility of the suit cracking when worn and how do you intend to paint it? From the pictures of your progress shows promise but the issues surrounding the material is seems questionable to us.

So using closed cell fine extruded polystyrene foam, I found this...

Amazon.com: Cellfoam 88, 5mm 11.5"x11.5" (3): Toys & Games

Called cellfoam.. but it looks like standard pink insulation foam.. not flexible. Does anyone have experience with this or know where to buy in bulk?

Grimmpy- You said your stuff will flex.. if you flex it to far does it crease and fold or snap in two?

Thanks-

Shades

Okay, i know this stuff called cellfoam. the whole material is based on little bubbles you can stretch this material to. It bends realy good, cust really good and you can paint is really good with rubberpaint. This material looks plastic to. If you press you finger on this one it will comming out slowly. I think this material is so flex you simply can make gauntlets from it!!!. Good choise i think to test to make the helmet! If i look to my material it has 3 kind of products inside. look hairy when i sanding parst if there is some kind of textile in it. When i brake it you see little bubbles to but i think this material had some high compression. I really hope i can help you with this mate. Tell me...what do you use when you start to assamble wooden floor in you room beside a roll of foam? think harder material :)

Thanks Shades for your review. Kinda thought that would be the case.

GrimppyDinky, is this the same with what your using? If so, how do you get over the possibility of the suit cracking when worn and how do you intend to paint it? From the pictures of your progress shows promise but the issues surrounding the material is seems questionable to us.

You right :)

The material can crack that's for sure :D It's so light that if i trow the helmet into the air it fly back. hehe. somehow the basic it really clean. When finishing you can sand it really fine. Think about the modelers building replica airplanes also lightweight material. So next step is simple. Use primer paintbrush and not primer or hardener pasta's on top. otherwise you lose the nice details. paintbrush it like 3 times then fine sanding. still afraid the material is to weak by bumping to a wall, use carefully fiberglass-primer (all in one cup) so you don't have to cut fiberglass first. you can make it hard if you want :) <<read some tutorials first before you use fiberglass polyester ;-)

Last edited:
One tip Grimmpy, why not sand the foam first, flat. Like say with a d.a. sander to make the foam smooth, then assemble. That way you wouldn't be trying to sand in three dimensions. It'll already be done.

A good one there :D

You can do sanding first that's for sure. But only if you use straight to straight parts i think.

think about sanding first. when i glue those parts together some glue hairlines will rest on top. Also between the parts after i glue you see some proces by pressing together like little bubbles. 2 parts i decide to glue on top of each other i have to sand it otherwise after i finished. by some mistakes in a part i have to make another one. Also i have to think straight parts in each corner or part on part sanding before some of the parts will rounding the faces. hmm i hope my info is readable lol. but thanks for the tip mate :)

That's a very clever idea. I'm going to have to get some of this foam to play with.

That is some mighty fine foam work! I've rarely seen something so beautiful!

GREAT work!!!! Looking amazing... LOVE the detailed pics, shows how nice your work is. Keep up the good work :)

Thanks guys :)

Today i posted a messages to Maclean BV Products about working with this material. Also i told them to export this product outside Europe :p
Hopefully they will. I soon will hear about the good news!

Today's update are The Biceps. I like the fine details here :)

9344-im-complete-biceps-02.jpg

Last edited:
Damn this is some awesome and clean work !
Mine just look ridiculous compared to yours :lol

I'm going to redo my helmet, I wanted to do something similar to rotate the back piece as you did.
I still have to draw the pattern though.

Awesome job man !

Damn this is some awesome and clean work !
Mine just look ridiculous compared to yours :lol

I'm going to redo my helmet, I wanted to do something similar to rotate the back piece as you did.
I still have to draw the pattern though.

Awesome job man !

Thank mate :thumbsup

Your suit looks really cool in that Foam! i think the material is to thick building your helmet? you even did a good job doh! I like to see your new helmet mate :) also i have to say that many parts i made by myself. For example some layers on top insides and outsides if you know what i mean :) Nice work there, keep up!

loving the work dude. Would you say the foam your using be suitable for maiking Halo Spartan armour? Looking at Noble 6 for my new year project, alot of people using the gym foamlock squares. The foam you are using appears to look easier to work with and maybe lighter? Will have to see if available to buy in UK. Awesome work again dude

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back