IRONMAN Easy Cut FOAM building

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by GrimmpyDinky, Nov 7, 2011.

1. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

Hello friends

This is my first Ironman building in foam. I was looking for some new material cause working with paper seems to be a hell of a job tho. Easy Click Foam in 5 mm thickness is really strong and flexible to work whit and really motivates me. The new material is used below wooden floors also cheap in price!

First of all i wanted to thank RPF to make it all possible to find all information about building costumes and everyone inside the community who helps me on this one. And of course my favorite ‘STEALTH’ and ‘BlackDynomo1’ how to work with fiberglass - primers - sanding and paint and ofcourse the laughing parts J.I Tested the material with paintbrush- primer and also if needed using fiberglass-primer and find out it’s not melting at all. When I am done I will update some picts. My next project will be a smaller one cause I think my kid wants to have one to! hehe

captured with Iphone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. Graphic Jordan

Graphic Jordan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great start!

3. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

Thank Jordan :)
    You are working with EVA Foam. I have seen your work and it looks awesome!!
    Great work!

4. ewhite00

ewhite00 New Member

Wow, looking good! I was just telling someone else that I have been ify about using foam because I was afraid it wouldnt look as good as fiberglass, but this just looks amazing! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

5. jnjoker100

jnjoker100 Active Member

Im amazed at how clean this is. That foam works great.

6. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

Thanks ewhite00 and jnjoker100 :)

You are right. that fiberglassing killing most of my time! But i must say...with patience the result looks fine to. I just finished the left shoulder and back. I wil send some images

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  7. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

[​IMG]

To bend some parts together in the right angle:
    [​IMG]

Just an both sides from the middle line like 2 mm. and get it out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close-up:
    [​IMG]

Looks like a road lol :p
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The right bending chest I love this one:
    [​IMG]

Can someone help me if there is a Foam PEP
    for under the chest to connect het back and chest.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  8. indiefilmgeek

indiefilmgeek Sr Member

That's a unique material to create your suit out of (compared with the EVA-style foam builds out there)... My dad actually used this type of foam when he built a body for his 3-wheel car back in the 80's, so I know it works well with fiberglass.

It looks good so far. I'll definitely be following your progress! :):thumbsup

9. Jessica

Jessica Well-Known Member

wow you make it look so easy!!

10. Uncle

Uncle Active Member

Nice work! Very clean build.
    What are you using to glue the edges?

11. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

Just an simple Glue Gun 7mm for hobby and decorative purpose.
    It's really strong, fast and easy :)

12. jayjayn

jayjayn Well-Known Member

great work!, for the chest brace i just used robo's file and just adjusted it to be used for foam.

13. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is really nice clean work so far.

14. wickedoffroad

wickedoffroad Active Member

Dang sweet work. Nice clean lines and great curves. Keep up the good work.

15. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

Thanks STEALTH. I used your FOAM files and it is clean to work with.
    Also watch your tutorial how to connecting the suit. i think that's the best way to do. I will follow you on youtube :)

16. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

Whoow!!! I was looking your gallery. Many segments in the first papercraft version it's looking cooler and cooler and COOLER scrolling down! Awesome! you can start a fabric hehe

17. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

Update my Foam Iron man helmet :) (using the STEALTH FOAM version)
    2 things i was missing in this version. the little hole square in the chin and i bend the part of the jaw line to. I am really happy about the way it looks now. Still in progress with the backside of the helmet cause i like to rotate this part into the helmet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  18. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

Soon i will make an update from the file foam version of the Helmet, cause many parts are not even or symmetric. Also for the mac users i will make this one in PDF document A4. In this version i also illustrate the back bottom of the helmet so it can flip up and down :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  19. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

[​IMG]

Maybe helpful to put your helmet on with this file. :)

[​IMG]

20. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

I was tested the helmet and it works fine :)

[​IMG]

21. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

man, I think the ear piece slot is facing in reverse...

Other than that, its awesome!:):thumbsup

cheers!

22. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

lol you are right. Thanks mate :)

23. Shades

Shades Well-Known Member

Looks great! Can we get some more details on the foam? Name- brand ? Where you got it?

I want to get a sheet and play around with it to see how it compares to EVA.

Cheers!

24. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

Hey Engeneer :)

What i know is that this material looks a little bit like peur foam i guess.
    But if i bend it's really strong flexible. Looks if it's pressed under some kind of temperature. It's not platic or presentation carton like Foamboards. What will you use
    on top of concrete floors with wood.

[​IMG]

It says:

underfloor 'ISOTAC EASY CLICK'
    Stable underfloor. Simple to submit, to cut and clicking together.

25. simul8r

simul8r Member

This foam must be something found outside of USA cause it's not easily found while googling.

Grimmpy, your workmanship is stellar, I'm liking the attention to detail so far. Keep it up.

26. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

Thanks simul8r,

Think I found it:
    Maclean Products b.v.

Hopefully you can get it somewhere. It helps me alot :)
    I wil show you some detail finishing my helmet with a little bit sanding on this material so you get the idea how clean it is.

27. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After is finished the helmet i was sanding some parts as you can see.

28. dabiddabird

dabiddabird Well-Known Member

Wow this stuff does give a really clean look. Have you thought about how your going to get rid of the textured surface when you paint?

29. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

so whats the price like for this foam? and brand name?

30. Shades

Shades Well-Known Member

I ll go to the home depot at lunch and see what I can figure out. I read up a little bit yesterday and it seems the silver foil layer is a moisture barrier. I didn't find anything that told me 5mm. If anyone stateside can save me from further harassing the orange aprons that would be appreciated. I am pretty sure I am one odd question away from being reported to the local authorities.

31. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

Thanks dabiddabird,
    The ribbons on this material is like 0,005 mm. By Sanding it's totaly gone. I wil show you in a sec. first thing to do before i using the primer.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  32. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

THE product brandname i think is "Macclean products" for one pack of 15 boards 100 x 60 cm. like 8 mabey 10 dollar.

33. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

wow i love that

i think im gonna buy me some of that foam and build stuff

i allways thought this was non flexible foam, thats why i allways passed it by, but if it is flexible, it seems pretty good
    and its sealable with elmers glue, and probably plasti dip

34. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

Hi Shades,
    Some detail of the product says:
    New generation: XPS Underlay, Fine-celled extruded polystyrene foam with excellent compression strength. Used for click laminate floors.

I hope you can tell the store where you normaly can buy building material.
    Good luck!

35. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

[​IMG]

Sanding the earpiece. you can see that i get rid of the textured surface :)

36. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

Hope you are going addicted working with this one EyeofSauron :)
    First i thought building the helmet i was afraid of the little parts i had to bend. now i think making the gauntlet fingertips is my next challange.

37. bhodie

bhodie Active Member

Great IM foam build!

38. Shades

Shades Well-Known Member

No luck stateside. I went to home depot to find the stuff and I think I found a similar material by "black jack". Basically, it felt like standard foamies, but here were the differences.

1. Roll not sheet.
    2. No foil backing
    3. No 5mm thickness. It appeared to be 2mm.

Basically I found a 100 foot roll of foamies for 35 bucks. That may be useful later, but the stuff was too thin to built a IM SUIT out of. Has anyone found this stuff in the states or a website it can be ordered off of ? The home depot people weren't any help.

39. Shades

Shades Well-Known Member

So using closed cell fine extruded polystyrene foam, I found this...

http://www.amazon.com/Cellfoam-88-5...=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1321474922&sr=1-1

Called cellfoam.. but it looks like standard pink insulation foam.. not flexible. Does anyone have experience with this or know where to buy in bulk?

Grimmpy- You said your stuff will flex.. if you flex it to far does it crease and fold or snap in two?

Thanks-

Shades

40. Uncle

Uncle Active Member

I found a similar product at Lowe's in the US. It was in a 4 foot by 50 foot "Z" fold package for a little over $30. It had the same patterns on each side of the foam.

I did not write down the name of it, but it had "Lowe's" on it. I'll try to look it up on their website.

41. Uncle

Uncle Active Member

42. simul8r

simul8r Member

Uncle, I think you may have found it or something close to what Grimppy uses. Reading further into your link it appears this one customer uses this material for building quick RC airplane wings and claims it is quite durable. I'll try a visit to my Lowes to see whats up. Good work on the find. :thumbsup

43. GASH

GASH New Member

Wow! Can't believe how talented you guys are! To build something like that from scratch, I wouldn't even know where to start! With other foam builds you could see the foam texture after the paint job but it looks like you may be able to get a smooth finish. Really curious to see how it will look when complete!

44. kdub8990

kdub8990 New Member

One tip Grimmpy, why not sand the foam first, flat. Like say with a d.a. sander to make the foam smooth, then assemble. That way you wouldn't be trying to sand in three dimensions. It'll already be done.

45. dabiddabird

dabiddabird Well-Known Member

Nice it cleans up very well. Great work

46. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ooh that's very nice.

47. Shades

Shades Well-Known Member

Yo!

So I found the stuff and checked it out. It is the stuff from Lowes.

So I here are my observations.

I didn't buy it. The reason is, I am worried about the strength of the material compared to EVA. When I bent the board past 45 degrees it snapped and cracked. I am not sure how one would repair this. With EVA, I could punt my war machine helmet and you wouldn't be able to tell.

That being said, I could see how you make a prop with incredible detail and very sharp lines. I would just worry about durability. I think that the way to use this would be as a supplement. Much in the way we use 2mm foamies for detail work, I think this polystrene board could be used. Compared to foamies, it is much more rigid and just as easy to cut and work with.

I am also concerned about how it would take paint. I think plastic dip may work, but I doubt other methods.

I am interested in how the OP's paint job will turn out and how durable the entire suit would be.

Keep in mind, I build these things for Halloween, and then get very rowdy in them. For competition or to show off at a con, this material may be prefect.

48. badass89

badass89 New Member

looks great

49. simul8r

simul8r Member

Thanks Shades for your review. Kinda thought that would be the case.

GrimppyDinky, is this the same with what your using? If so, how do you get over the possibility of the suit cracking when worn and how do you intend to paint it? From the pictures of your progress shows promise but the issues surrounding the material is seems questionable to us.

50. GrimmpyDinky

GrimmpyDinky New Member

Okay, i know this stuff called cellfoam. the whole material is based on little bubbles you can stretch this material to. It bends realy good, cust really good and you can paint is really good with rubberpaint. This material looks plastic to. If you press you finger on this one it will comming out slowly. I think this material is so flex you simply can make gauntlets from it!!!. Good choise i think to test to make the helmet! If i look to my material it has 3 kind of products inside. look hairy when i sanding parst if there is some kind of textile in it. When i brake it you see little bubbles to but i think this material had some high compression. I really hope i can help you with this mate. Tell me...what do you use when you start to assamble wooden floor in you room beside a roll of foam? think harder material :)