IronJoe's Comic Style Captain America *COMPLETE* *PIC HEAVY*

IronJoe

Thanks to some great inspiration on this board (I'm looking at you, @Peek73 and @hmoney143) I've decided to put together a comic-book style Captain America costume in time for the Age of Ultron opening.

I've done a few movie premieres before, they are tons of fun and definitely a different vibe than a convention. It's a blast and I've been looking forward to this costume for quite some time.

When I built the Commander Rogers/Stealth Suit I cobbled together last year, I used a "Smithsonian" helmet from Captain America: The Winter Soldier. The reason I picked this helmet over the Stealth Suit helmet was because I eventually wanted to use it as a cowl for a comic-style Cap (with some modifications, of course!) This is another quick build, luckily I am using quite a few leftover pieces from previous costumes.

The inspiration is John Cassaday's run on Captain America: The New Deal, from the Marvel Knights imprint. No ammo pouches, no military-style gear - just Cap as he was meant to be.

capamericavol4ish1johncassaday_zpsf8jpseun.jpg

Cowl/Helmet:
-TheRocketeer's TFA Smithsonian cowl, with a few modifications. First I removed the movie-style "A" and made a template of a more comic book-inspired block letter "A" out of foam. Then I removed the "leathers" that cover the ears and the chin strap. I will be painting the cowl a royal blue (currently it's still a very dark blue from my last use).
-I'll be building three-dimensional wings out of foam that stick out from the cowl.
-The current wings are still giving me trouble. The TFA Smithsonian cowl has the wing indentations sculpted into the side. I've tried a few different methods of filling these, as I want wings that actually stand out from the cowl. So far I have used silicone and epoxy and have not been able to get it to lay down in the channels properly. I will try Bondo next.
-I sewed an "underhood" in royal blue Lycra that will bridge the gap between the upper torso scale-mail and the cowl. Ears cut out, of course!

3EE4ED3A-A846-4227-BE79-07B13924303B_zps156yzide.jpg

F07C92C7-53C6-481C-8859-07D300B24A10_zpsdnrjschf.jpg

Belt:

-Found a cheap black belt at Wal-Mart that was thick enough and had a large square buckle.

Pants:
I ordered the royal blue baseball pants that a few other Cap cosplayers seem to love. The name and model is "Alleson 605P Adult baseball pants" in case anyone ever needs it.
31SBSJsWLOL._SY355__zpsfwxmayfk.jpg

Torso Upper:

-Funfoam scale-mail chest-piece. With the help of @JuJuBean I now have a duct-tape dummy for my upper body. I am going for the "circular" look of the scales as John Cassaday drew them
-Funfoam chest star

Torso Lower:

-White compression shirt
-Red & white fabric stripes sewn together, affixed to shirt.

Gloves:
-I took apart an old pair of costume gloves and made a template, then built my own out of vinyl on the sewing machine. A bit stiff right now but hopefully they'll loosen up.

109de41a-7565-4493-b770-a4966a3c97b7_zpsm5lteepk.jpg

Boots:
-I had a pair of red costume boots already, I just made some cuffs for them out of vinyl.

175B31C4-E049-470B-BD83-DA805DE5A6CE_zpssgjdpou2.jpg

Shield:
-The officially licensed Factory-X replica shield. There are plently of good options out there if you want a movie-style shield, but for the comic look there's really nothing quite like this. It's a full 26 inches in diameter and is absolutely perfect for this costume.

Shield-1b_zpsxebjvdud.jpg~original

At this point, I am continuing to work on the cowl and will be starting the scale-mail chestpiece. I have a little over two weeks, should be fun!

Last edited:
Re: Another quick build - IronJoe's Comic Style Captain America

Nice Man O! Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. You'll make an awesome Cap!,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is coming along slowly but surely. I am still working on filling in the helmet wings with Bondo, we'll see how this turns out.
0B0B5016-4764-40D6-9AE4-CC97AECA970C_zpsfsoky1cp.jpg

I also made progress on the chest piece. I started with 1" diameter scales and did a quick test, but it looked a bit small so I went with 1.5" dia scales. I purchased a lever-style craft punch and 2mm foam sheets and began punching out circles.

I am using a cotton shirt one size smaller than my normal t-shirt size over the duct-tape dummy and hot-gluing the scales row by row. After doing some tests, I decided to cover the entire thing in scales first, then do all my sealing & painting. This will be much easier and make the entire piece a bit more solid I think.

IMG_9295_zpskxkbxbrd.jpg

IMG_9296_zpsmltf367w.jpg

IMG_9297_zpsvvchywel.jpg

Made a little more progress on the scale mail... the arm was a bit tougher than I thought. I am probably spending way too much time and effort worrying about how to evenly place each scale :$

IMG_9298_zpszmz4ltwz.jpg

IMG_9299_zpsd7ctqmmx.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9299_zpsd7ctqmmx.jpg
    IMG_9299_zpsd7ctqmmx.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Making some more progress! I chose a design for the star and cut it out of funfoam, then created a pattern for the stripes. After some tinkering, I selected a 3" width for each stripe.

038C4371-CEFD-414A-92EE-2924A249D3DB_zpsnjrvdoc0.jpg

588F4A35-BFA5-42DE-BEC5-F7749AA0F40C_zpsqg4xxrxb.jpg

After lots of cutting and sewing...
67209782-9FA7-4C45-9927-668359C26D1F_zpsw2a65jsr.jpg~original

(I ran out of foam for the scales so I haven't finished the scale mail at this point).

And the lower torso piece over a tank top, with the baseball pants and belt!
2909CBDC-D4B1-4FA8-BF87-86E9863B1451_zpsahy3ceyn.jpg

16691C13-7186-4209-B212-7D86793CEEB8_zpseo6yf0x3.jpg

Today will hopefully finish up the scale mail and begin painting.

Last edited:

SHOW OFF! That shirt it Freakin COOL MAN! I love it!!! Can't wait to see you finish this suit up. You sir have got skills........

Making some more progress! I chose a design for the star and cut it out of funfoam, then created a pattern for the stripes. After some tinkering, I selected a 3" width for each stripe.

View attachment 468162

View attachment 468163

After lots of cutting and sewing...
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/...45-9927-668359C26D1F_zpsw2a65jsr.jpg~original

(I ran out of foam for the scales so I haven't finished the scale mail at this point).

And the lower torso piece over a tank top, with the baseball pants and belt!
View attachment 468164

View attachment 468165

Today will hopefully finish up the scale mail and begin painting.

Hah thanks!! I just about finished up the scale mail, sealed it up with Mod Podge and will be painting tomorrow if the weather isn't too bad. The last piece to finish is the cowl, I've got the old wings filled in nicely and about ready for some paint!

D02EE100-3694-48D9-B06E-68BD39110C4D_zpsjylw84ht.jpg

That is looking REALLY excellent!! And really nice work on the gloves - vinyl can be the devil to sew sometimes. I'm excited to see this finished

That is looking REALLY excellent!! And really nice work on the gloves - vinyl can be the devil to sew sometimes. I'm excited to see this finished
Thanks! The gloves are just OK, I'd really rather them be leather of some kind. Maybe one day I'll learn to work with that stuff...

I am happy with the progress so far,. Today I was able to paint and seal the cowl and scale mail, I used Liquitex paint and a product I haven't tried before, Duraclear. It's a polyurethane varnish that stays flexible, which is very important for both of these pieces. After doing some tests on both gloss and matte, I chose the matte finish and coated everything. It brushes on and miraculously does not leave brush strokes!

Next up is affixing the "A" and chest star, and making some 3D wings :)

1E843F93-0D28-401F-85E4-66AAA085A60B_zpsjyirt934.jpg

Finished everything up except the cowl, I have the comic-style "A" attached and are working on the wings.

I did a test fit today with the finished pieces, I am beyond thrilled with the Duraclear coating!! Very flexible and keeping creasing to a minimum even with my arm movements.
E7AFF39A-1448-48C4-A240-D281651390AB_zpsnjpjmdkj.jpg

WOW! Man that if right out of the Comic Books! I love it! The whole armor look is Genius!! Well done man, well done!! Can't wait to see it all put together.

Finished everything up except the cowl, I have the comic-style "A" attached and are working on the wings.

I did a test fit today with the finished pieces, I am beyond thrilled with the Duraclear coating!! Very flexible and keeping creasing to a minimum even with my arm movements.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/...A-1448-48C4-A240-D281651390AB_zpsnjpjmdkj.jpg

dude, this is an amazing build! if you get the chance, can you upload a pattern of the size and such for the scales?!?

Re: IronJoe's Comic Style Captain America

Finished up the helmet wings today, and sewed a new underhood in a lighter blue to match (I had originally chosen a darker blue, but wanted a brighter look for this costume so I changed colors at the last minute).

I was lucky enough to have @JuJuBean snap some photos before we ran out of daylight. Everything came together quite well except for the helmet - adding a layer of fabric underneath made everything tighter and the eye holes were pressing hard against my eyelids (I could barely see clearly in the photos,I am squinting in these pics!) I am working to cut the eyeholes out a little.

DSC_9316_zpshnimmrxp.jpg~original

DSC_9312_zps4iguwikk.jpg~original

DSC_9303_zpsejvkqayj.jpg~original

And a faded old-timey pic just for fun :)
DSC_9304_zpsamyrhssz.jpg

And here's a close-up of the wings I made:
F1A60D4E-1878-4EB0-A30B-8C02FE5F6C47_zpseo1hgg6s.jpg

Last edited:
I very much like the comic style costume,but personally I would make the wings on the helmet stand out more,like in the 1990 Captain America movie with Matt Salinger.The shield and the wings are a few of the trademarks of Cap,hence my disappointment with the new suit in The Avengers movies...

I very much like the comic style costume,but personally I would make the wings on the helmet stand out more,like in the 1990 Captain America movie with Matt Salinger.The shield and the wings are a few of the trademarks of Cap,hence my disappointment with the new suit in The Avengers movies...

I know what you mean. I played with several different styles, and working with craft foam I found I had little options in the way of creating 3d wings. Eventually as I get more into working with resin I'd like to cast my own wings, but for now at least they stick out from the helmet so I'm happy.

dude, this is an amazing build! if you get the chance, can you upload a pattern of the size and such for the scales?!?
Thanks! As far as the scale mail, I don't have much of a pattern but I will do my best to illustrate what I did.

• Bought a blue shirt 1 size smaller than what I regularly wear, put it on the duct tape dummy
  • Bought a squeeze punch that produces 1.5" circles
  • Round-n-Round-Squeeze-Punch-Extra-Large_product_main.jpg
  • Punched out ~600 circles while binge-watching House of Cards :)
  • Picked a mid-point on the torso for the scale-mail to begin, and started hot-gluing circles to the shirt
  • As I went around the torso, I overlapped the previous row of scales ~50%
  • I covered the arms and blended them into the torso as seamlessly as possible
  • Then I coated the entire thing in Mod Podge, paint, and the polyurethane varnish (shout out to SMP Designs for posting the info on Duraclear!)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back