IRONFETT mark VI build

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by NexusFX, Dec 6, 2011.

1. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know this is still early on but im keeping this a secret from all my garrison mates and other costumers, ha. I still gotta share with someone so i figured here would be safe enough.

Just basically got the faceplate worked out.
    [​IMG]

but i will be molding this up for some runs, we already spin ep.3,2 clone buckets, as well as neyo and animated helmets so this will go in the machine quite nicely:)

the rest of the suit will probably be foam, my buddy is going to roll a war machine as well. The goal is to have both done for wondercon.

hope yall stay tuned.
    thanks for lookin!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. NexusFX

Re: tuskenfett mark VI build

small update, i got a bunch more done on the helmet now that my clone commission is finished. i got one gantlet finished as well cause I can never do things in the right order.
    I may wait awhile to mold up the helmet until i figure out how to fund the initial investment.

thanks for looking guys!

3. NexusFX

almost finished with the helmet, i have alot more time now since my commission is finished.

heres some pics of the helmet where it stands now, I still need to finish the back portions then its off to fiberglass it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. NexusFX

the helmet is finished!!! that pep is intense man, but stealth's videos helped a ton with his tricks on the tabs and what not, here is the pics before it gets resin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the ears are going to be done seperate just like everyone else does them, im also using projectearth7's helmet thread as a huuuge reference for mine as well.

here is some of the foam guantlets
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks guys more to come!

5. NexusFX

the bucket is all resin'ed and the fiberglass is inside, it was too cold today to resin in the inside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i did the ears separate as well. it seems to be the best way based on the numerous other builds.
    [​IMG]

on a separate note

chest is done
    [​IMG]
    neckseal is done
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

took some foamies and made tabs for velcro
    [​IMG]

back nearing completion with spine armor installed
    [​IMG]

more to come....

6. PetiteAltesse

PetiteAltesse Active Member

This is looking awesome so far. I can't wait to see it finished. I'm curious as to what they final product will look like.

Also glad you're posting progress pics. Your neckseal gave me an idea to try for my Rinzler costume.

7. inventorj

inventorj New Member

Wow! I am going to watch this thread for a while.

8. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

Can't wait to see more..

9. Lord Magneto

Lord Magneto Well-Known Member

looks great man... I've really got to start one of these

10. NexusFX

Funny I see your stuff and I want to be a mutant! Haha

11. Lord Magneto

Haha thanks man... I'm so * behind on my project. New baby + wife + job + traveling non stop lately for work hasnt left me a ton of time to work on it.

The bondo/sanding stage is taking me foreeeeeever.

Your helmet looks like it held it's shape pretty well after the resin.

12. propnoob74

propnoob74 Well-Known Member

Nice job with the whole build; awesome work with the folds and putting it together...I see you are going for a hybrid (foam/pep); I'm doing the chest already...I have a question when you sized the helmet what measurements did you use; I want to do the helmet and I'm not sure how to scale it, (I measured my head and is 23.5 around)...any tips will be appreciated...

Thanks...keep up the good work...

David

13. NexusFX

I did my helmet at default scale. There should be a test helmet for scaling that's alot faster to do some trial and error. My head is around 24" and it will be snug with some room for servos. I'm actually going to mold this up for budget iron man kits. As far as your resining its all abou doing it in sections. If you do it all at once it's going to get wonky quick.

Thanks for the compliments so far everyone! Hope to do ya proud in the end.

14. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Any idea where that might be? I've been looking around for it and can't seem to find it.

15. NexusFX

Pm me your email I'll send it to you

16. Raithan

Raithan New Member

What pep files are you using for the foam and paper? There are so many different helm's and parts its hard to know which one's are the best.

It still amazes me that these start off as paper and foam. Even though i see all the hard work that goes into the finishing.

Also if possible could you please send me the Test Helmet. Having a heck of a time getting it to fit my big head. Done 2 peps, one way to big and other to small. I know there is a lot of trial and error but a simpler helm would be easier to get sizing. I sent PM with email address.

Great work and look forward to following along. Hopefully will be able to start on my first suit soon.

17. Raithan

Raithan New Member

Wow that was quick on the PM. Thanks alot for that.

18. propnoob74

propnoob74 Well-Known Member

Sweet!! Thanks bro, I will print the helm now, I ordered one from j0We here, but if I make one I will change the color....nice work...Can't wait to see the final product....

Regards

David

19. NexusFX

the helmet file is sharmark/dubean, its what most guys use for the mk 4 and 6 builds. its a pretty good starting point. Im going to be doing a more project7earth intense mod to it. As for the foam templates its all about steath, jowe, and juice. They shred at the foam mods. they have a thread for all the templates.

20. huttman

huttman New Member

Looking sweet dude ;)

21. NexusFX

been working hard at this stuff getting ready for wondercon.

the helmet is coming along the more i work on it the more stuff i find needs to be tweaked, but by any chance does somebody know the name of the red tool used for finding symmetry? i need to pick one up
    anyways here is a very much wip of the bucket
    [​IMG]

now running into the sad part of fiberglassing pep, when the resin pulls the cloth away from the paper creating gaps that need to be ripped up and filled
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

and for some impatient pics ha!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

oh and i think ive found the ultimate solution for sealing foam..
    [​IMG]

Magikote is made for sealing styrofoam for paint, its sandable and most importantly flexible. Cost $6 at michaels.

22. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

The forearms look like they fit you perfectly!

I might pick up some of that Magokote and see how it is, there's a Michael's not too far from me.

23. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

You're doing great man...:):thumbsup... reminds me of the days...:D

Regarding symmetry... I think if you print half part of the helmet (of the pep file) and make it as a pattern/reference for left and right side (just flipping it over for the other half), i think that will do the trick (just a suggestion)...:)

I was not able to do that on our helm but will definitely use that technique on the rest of the helmet we'll be making...

Keep building...(y)thumbsup

cheers!

24. NexusFX

thats a great idea!

25. Lord Magneto

* man thats some great progress in just a few months.

I will have to keep a lookout for that Magic stuff

26. huttman

huttman New Member

Did you try a test piece with the Magikote? Like take two pieces of foam and glue them edge to edge, then add the stuff and see if you can sand some of the edges smooth?

Thats a cool suggestion. thanks!

27. NexusFX

Ive discovered that one whole side of my bucket is about a 1/4 lower than the other. So i am taking some drastic measures so see this thing through.

[​IMG]

ive already started raising up the right side, and picked up a profile gauge so all my curves are symmetrical.

28. Lord Magneto

can you show a link to the profile gauge or a pic? I've been trying to find something I could use to see how symmetrical my helmet is

29. NexusFX

small update, its been raining at my place so foam it is!!

got the arms done and started attaching the peices.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Galane

Galane New Member

Here are some profile gauges. Amazon.com: profile gauge: Tools & Home Improvement

Could make your own with some pieces of stiff wire and a couple of pieces of board, or cut some strips off a heavy plastic cutting board or many other things.

31. MClass

MClass Active Member

Looks great so far. Can't wait to see the end result.

32. jayjayn

jayjayn Well-Known Member

great work , fitment looks great!

33. NexusFX

just wanted to share on the status of the top of my helmet. It is still a wip but its getting there. The more i dug in i realized that the bucket was tweaked in alot of spots so im having to go in and fix it all. I've put so much into the helmet I don't want to start over

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i did go ahead and remake the jaw because the angles where all messed up. Im trying to have this pretty much fixed this weekend, so i can move on to molding next week.