Iron Man & War Machine helmet kits

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by GeneralFROSTY, Apr 6, 2012.

1. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

RPF member DVDVampire sent me his Iron Man and War Machine helmet kits for my build and paint service.
    Below you will see both kits side by side in their raw, untrimmed form as I received them:
    [​IMG]

Rather than tackle both helmets at once and get a little overwhelmed, I opted to concentrate my efforts on one helmet at a time - starting with Iron Man.
    I spent a good part of the day just working on the faceplate. A lot of work went into cleaning out the eyes and thinning the walls to the correct thickness and shape.
    Below you will see the eye on the right has been cut out and not sanded/shaped, while the eye on the left is finished...
    [​IMG]

After I finished the faceplate, I took a fieldtrip to the hobby store near my workshop to pick out some paint options for the red. There was only one clear choice and that was Model Masters "Metallic Stop Light Red".
    Below, you will see a paint test I did on a spare model kit part (can you guess what it is?:love). The red was airbrushed overtop a metallic chrome paint (which was a test when I was doing my Rocketeer jetpack build) which gives the translucency of the red paint more shine and metallic look. More coats and I suspect this effect will be deminished and I will still do some tests as to weather I want to use a semi-gloss or satin clearcoat to tone down the candy-apple redness of the paint.
    I do intend on painting over a silver basecoat so I can do some light weathering.
    [​IMG]

Next, I had to determine how I would achieve the "brushed" metal look of the faceplate. Using some styrene, I airbrushed using Model Masters Gold and waited until it was 99% dry to the touch, then gently glided a stiff paintbrush down the surface. This is what I came up with:
    [​IMG]

While I was fiddling with paint tests, the faceplate was hit with a few coats of primer...
    [​IMG]

Thanks to the fast-drying primer (I use Rustoleum brand that I got from Lowes) I was able to cleanup any surface defects I found and then do some wetsanding.
    The other parts of the helmet - main shell, jaw, back piece - were all trimmed, sanded to shape by hand and in a few places with the help of my trusty Dremel.
    I could not resist a dry fit of the parts...
    [​IMG]

Time was running short before I was to call it a day at the shop and I knew I wanted to get a basecoat of gold down on the faceplate - so I gave a few even coats with the airbrush. Next workday at the shop, I will hit it again with another few thin coats and do the brushed metal technique I tested out on the styrene.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will also do a few more tests with the Metallic Stop Light Red paint. It looks really gorgeous and I'm sure once I pick the right clearcoat for it I will have a very nice color and finish for this helmet.

2. Strickler

Strickler Well-Known Member

Your skills are amazing and the helmets look great so far.

GeneralFROSTY likes this.
  3. GeneralFROSTY

Your kind words are appreciated - I could always use the encouragement - no one is more critical of my work than me! Rep points coming your way!

4. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Wow you sure sanded that faceplate fairly heavy. Should need zero fill or cleanup on the surface of the Ironman helmet, and a adhesion promoter/sealer works perfect before painting.

5. GeneralFROSTY

It looks like I sanded it heavy in that pic, but that's because the resin is black and picks up scratches very 'white' looking. I was testing to see if I could get the brushed metal effect by sanding down the faceplate. Trust me, it was (and still is) smooth to the touch.

6. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

That looks awesome! Nice cleanup and I'm really like the way you did the brush stroke test. :thumbsup

If I were a rich man, I'd send my Acme pack to you for finishing!

Lonnie

7. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Ok looks way heavier than I have ever sanded these for sure. I know all about the black resin those are both my castings. ;)

8. GeneralFROSTY

You'd have to be rich - I dread the day someone wants to pay me to do that again! It was a real labor of love and I'd have to ask for quite a bit of cash to do it all over again! Thank you for the compliment!

I wanted to thank you for providing such an exceptionally clean casting. I have several kits I am scheduled to work on for clients right now and some of them are down-right terrible castings!
    This Iron Man helmet is gorgeously designed and casted and I am very excited to be working on it....you may laugh, but as I was working on it today I was continually humming the score music from the first IM movie that we hear during the captivity scene when Stark is making his first mini-arc reactor....:lol
    And trust me, looks heavy but that was actually sanded with wetsand paper!

9. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

That looks really great so far!!!

10. PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul Active Member

Watching this thread closely, since I just got in on the most recent run of the Wat machine helmet myself. ;)

11. GeneralFROSTY

It will be another two weeks before I really get down and dirty on the War Machine helmet as I am juggling several commision jobs at once right now, but I'm happy to inspire anyone and I'm really happy to be working with such finely casted kits - these things are gorgeous!

12. GeneralFROSTY

13. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

Love your thread and great work! I'm in a painting process right now, so it's nice to see that I'm on the right track after seeing yours!

Can't wait to see the rest as it progresses!

14. GeneralFROSTY

If you have one of these kits, count yourself fortunate. I've seen a lot of IM helmet kits and this one blows them away - kudos once again to Finhead.

15. made007

made007 Sr Member

Looking great so far, im triying to do one myself, lets see how it goes

16. pengbuzz

pengbuzz Well-Known Member

Awesome work!!! I think that metallic stoplight red is going to work just fine for you on this build. I really want to do one myself when funds permit.

17. GeneralFROSTY

I'll have two days this coming week to work on this so with any luck I can have it done. That depends on how many coats of that red I need to lay down...

18. DVDVampire

DVDVampire Well-Known Member

Holy F*cking *****!!!!!!

That looks fantastic!

I think I've decided what to do with my extra IM lid and have you MKII it up.

19. GeneralFROSTY

:lolI was actually hoping you'd trade me for it. Getting one of these helmets in my hands really makes me want one for myself.

20. gbmickey

gbmickey New Member

Looks great so far!

21. GeneralFROSTY

Got about as much done today as I suspected though I had a few other issues to resolve that took me away from getting further. Back in tomorrow to continue.
    I was able to assemble the jaw and backpiece to the shell, primer, wetsand and then hit it with a few basecoats of silver. It's my hope that the silver will show up if/when I do some light weathering.
    Pictured below is a dry fit of the faceplate, which will be glued into place once the entire shell has been painted.
    [​IMG]

22. streetjudge79

streetjudge79 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks great so far!

23. GeneralFROSTY

I appreciate all the support I can get so thank you!

I spent more time than I would have liked burning through my red paint doing tests. I'm going to need a few more jars of it because of how many coats I am going to have to lay down on this for it to really pop.
    It goes on looking pink at first, then dark burgundy. The more coats, the more metallic red it looks. Really cool paint.

24. Strickler

Haha, everyone is there own worst critic.

And that gold and silver doesn't look half bad. I see ideas in my head already :p

25. GeneralFROSTY

I thought the same thing - almost pains me to have to paint it red. The gold/silver combo really pops.

26. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Your taking a 4 piece and making it into a one piece?
    Paint looks good but the jaw is supposed to be spaced out far enough so the faceplate sits correct on the upper jaw spacers. Like 2-3mm space for the jaw line.

27. GeneralFROSTY

One piece, for display only.

28. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

Paint job looks superb thus far.

29. DVDVampire

That Silver is very MKII ish. ;)

This is coming together nicely.

30. GeneralFROSTY

Not quite. That's just Model Masters chrome paint and does not give nowhere near the shine I would need to do a MKII style helmet.

I still believe the best way to do a MKII is to have it plated. Even the best metalic paints will always look like paint when you look at it up-close.

I have a lot of work to do on this tomorrow. I may re-spray the faceplate in a few areas and I have to wetsand the entire lid before I start masking off some areas, then I will start coating it with the red paint.

31. DVDVampire

We'll need to discuss. Can't wait to see War Machine

32. GeneralFROSTY

Most of my day at the shop tomorrow will be devoted to getting coats of red on the shell.
    If I have any time I will start doing the raw trimming on WM.

33. DamnGoodPaul

DamnGoodPaul Member

One thing i noticed about war machine, that he has a HAMMERED look to his greyish black. How do you plan on achieving this effect?

34. GeneralFROSTY

I've not seen a hammered look from the reference images I've looked at.
    I did some paint tests today and settled on a mixture of Model Masters Gunmetal gray and Metallic Black.
    Doing some more tests with the silver to see what I can do to give it some depth like I did with the IM faceplate.

35. GeneralFROSTY

Got the first few coats of red down today. I ran out of paint and the model shop was sold out of the color so I have to make a drive to another model shop to get more.
    Shown here with the chin area taped off (using Tamiya tape and blue painters) and the faceplate dry fitted in place just for this picture.
    [​IMG]

36. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

Oh man that is stunning, I might have to save some money and send my Fin Head Lid your way when I get it. Maybe even my Halo 4 helmet too.

37. GeneralFROSTY

This is my first IM helmet. I suspect I will learn a thing or two after I do this and the War Machine.

38. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

Well you are doing a fantastic job, I can't even get the spray paint on my Classic Iron Man helmet to set right and look good.

39. GeneralFROSTY

That's about three coats of the paint I put on there before I ran out and I still need to paint under the jawline and give everything another solid coat.
    I did some wetsanding tests on the test swatch I painted. I will have to be gentle with it.
    It's not perfect, but it looks pretty good - I've seen worse attempts at this so that keeps me motivated.

40. Strickler

Man the red really came out quite nice. I'll say it again, amazing skills my friend :thumbsup

41. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

I don't know how to wet sand and I have over 5 coats on my Classic helmet and it is nice and smooth in some places and rough in others. :D I'm doing a really teenager without money or skills job. You're doing very very good, it's one of the nicest paint jobs I've seen on an Iron Man helmet thus far.

42. DVDVampire

I almost want to call bullsh!t. :lol

Looking at that pic, one would think you've been painting IM lids for a few years now. :thumbsup

Fantastic Work!

43. GeneralFROSTY

Wetsanding is very easy to do and will soon be your best friend when doing a paint project.
    I'm sure you can find some how-to vids on YouTube. Basically, all you need is wetsanding paper (which you can buy at a place like Advance Auto Parts or Pep Boys) and get it wet then start gently sanding your rough painted surface in smooth even strokes. Wipe down with a dry cloth and feel how smooth your surface now is! It's worth it to start experimenting if you want to get serious about paint projects.

I'm sure Finhead may disagree with you there:)
    Seriously, I am still learning with each project I take on. My work is nowhere near perfect but I do take a lot of pride and passion with what I do and am having incredible fun working on these for you.

44. DVDVampire

He does build some pretty fantastic helmets and knows his *****. Both he and coofunkcurly are some talented mothercrushers. :thumbsup The IM and Batman props they produce are f*cking immaculate.

I'm trying to understand the critique regarding the way the faceplate rests on the bottom of the helmet. I guess I can't see it right now.

45. GeneralFROSTY

PM sent.
    Yup, those guys are some of the best here on RPF with what they do. These are fun kits.

46. GeneralFROSTY

IM helm pretty much all done. Just got to do some touch-ups and glue the faceplate on then I can start focusing more attention to the War Machine helmet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

47. Strickler

That looks freakin amazing.

48. Zabana

Zabana Well-Known Member

A master's work!

49. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

Holy **** that's amazing. I can't wait to see how The Warmachine turns out

50. GeneralFROSTY

Thank you, but I would not call myself a master just yet. There are guys that do far better work than me but I am learning and having a lot of fun doing it!

Working on some paint samples now for WM. Got all the trimming done so my next step is the initial primer coat.