Iron Man vision idea - your thoughts

widescreen

Hi,

I had a thought (& I don't have that many). :wacko

I've read that vision from an Iron Man helmet is very limited.
Has anyone tried to fit a camera to the helmet & a screen inside the faceplate.
I thought that a mobile phone (cellphone to our American friends), stripped down (no casings, speaker, etc), might work.

Your opinions would be appreciated. :thumbsup :thumbsdown

Start your camera phone and hold your phone's screen an inch from your eyes and try to look through it. It will be hard to look at in the long run.

I just saw something on yahoo news about a pair of glasses that do that exact same thing.

I don't know if they would fit into an IM helmet, but it shows that the technology is viable

Yeah, that's the kind of thing.

Maybe they could be lfted from your eyes by the same hinge system as the faceplate??

Don't know if it would take an input from a camera (can't see why not).

I was looking at the vision issue for a Mark V helmet that I'm making.
Looks to me that the sensible answer is using the principle of Total Internal Reflection as is used in HUD and fibre optic technology.
I took an old pair of cinema 3D glasses and an LED torch and set them up as I have scrawled below. When I looked straight in the mirror I could see the torch over my eye, but nothing went in directly. With decent LEDs and a diffuser, I'm sure someone can get this working. I have unfortunately since squashed my original "prototype", or I would post a real pic.
All that is required is a bit of patience to find the "critical angle". Much cheaper than a vid camera, and less likely to give you goggle eyes!:eek :confused
12100-how-t-i-r-could-used-ironman

:confused

I understand what you mean.

I've just tried it with a pair of 3D glasses. I see your thought - because the lens is flat the light will be directed straight off the lens.

I also tried it with a pair of mirrored sunglasses. This may work a bit better, but I think it would work even better with an EL strip or a lens which is white (if they exist).

The "critical angle" of the lens would depend on what angle the led light was positioned (i.e. if the led was 100 degrees from the horizontal then the lens shouls be half this - 50 degrees).

The more I think of it, the more I like the idea of the camera - especially if the camera has a reasonable wide angle.

Even with the extra visibility of the lens idea (& it's cheap) there isn't a lot of sight.

I'm also a Stormtrooper & seeing out of one of these helmets isn't good.

I'd still like more peoples' opinions though , so please keep them coming.

Paul

A number of people on the SIWDAT forum were playing around with camera/HUD concepts; here's the link.

A lot of the concept was to use VUZIX viewer glasses, which coincidentally interface nicely with an iPod or iPhone. Add the "Iron HUD" app and (provided your iPod or iPhone has a camera) all you need to do is find a place to conceal it on your suit.

A number of people on the SIWDAT forum were playing around with camera/HUD concepts; here's the link.

A lot of the concept was to use VUZIX viewer glasses, which coincidentally interface nicely with an iPod or iPhone. Add the "Iron HUD" app and (provided your iPod or iPhone has a camera) all you need to do is find a place to conceal it on your suit.

Hmmmm - this looks really good & as it happens I've just updated the wife's iphone. So, I have a spare iphone to use this.

Just a bit more research into this being used with the glasses.:)

I found some of these sexy looking babies (i know, I should get out more) on the web for about £70. Just as cheap as the Chinese cheapies on fleabay:

Vuzix-Wrap-eyewear-550.jpg

They're compatible with iphones & gaming consoles so may have to invest in a pair.

I've managed to find a cheap pair on videos glasses (Ebay - £25 - bargain).

When they arrive I'll connect them to a camera (phone or mini spy cam) & see what the vision is like.
I'm hoping that the fact that the glasses are made to watch films & play games through that they should be suitable.

Fingers crossed.

to be honnest i tried having my glasses on with the warmachine helmet and it doesnt have a lot of space with the faceplate

so dunno just my 2 cents

Dunno myself yet - I may have to break down the glasses & fit the screens to the inside of the faceplate???

Nothing ventured - nothing gained.

i think you might have to a good idea might be if you take out all the electronics (CAREFULLY!) and resize/fit them in might work

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back