Iron Man vision idea - your thoughts

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by widescreen, Mar 26, 2012.

1. widescreen

widescreen Well-Known Member

Hi,

I had a thought (& I don't have that many). :wacko

I've read that vision from an Iron Man helmet is very limited.
    Has anyone tried to fit a camera to the helmet & a screen inside the faceplate.
    I thought that a mobile phone (cellphone to our American friends), stripped down (no casings, speaker, etc), might work.

Your opinions would be appreciated. :thumbsup :thumbsdown

2. Contec

Contec Master Member

Start your camera phone and hold your phone's screen an inch from your eyes and try to look through it. It will be hard to look at in the long run.

3. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

I just saw something on yahoo news about a pair of glasses that do that exact same thing.

I don't know if they would fit into an IM helmet, but it shows that the technology is viable

4. jjones

jjones Active Member

5. widescreen

Yeah, that's the kind of thing.

Maybe they could be lfted from your eyes by the same hinge system as the faceplate??

Don't know if it would take an input from a camera (can't see why not).

6. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

Hell, at my age, focusing would be a beast.

7. theblueraja

theblueraja New Member

I was looking at the vision issue for a Mark V helmet that I'm making.
    Looks to me that the sensible answer is using the principle of Total Internal Reflection as is used in HUD and fibre optic technology.
    I took an old pair of cinema 3D glasses and an LED torch and set them up as I have scrawled below. When I looked straight in the mirror I could see the torch over my eye, but nothing went in directly. With decent LEDs and a diffuser, I'm sure someone can get this working. I have unfortunately since squashed my original "prototype", or I would post a real pic.
    All that is required is a bit of patience to find the "critical angle". Much cheaper than a vid camera, and less likely to give you goggle eyes!:eek :confused
    [​IMG]
    :confused

8. theblueraja

theblueraja New Member

9. widescreen

I understand what you mean.

I've just tried it with a pair of 3D glasses. I see your thought - because the lens is flat the light will be directed straight off the lens.

I also tried it with a pair of mirrored sunglasses. This may work a bit better, but I think it would work even better with an EL strip or a lens which is white (if they exist).

The "critical angle" of the lens would depend on what angle the led light was positioned (i.e. if the led was 100 degrees from the horizontal then the lens shouls be half this - 50 degrees).

10. The Ronin

The Ronin Well-Known Member

This reminds me of Deadmau5' LED head. He can't see out of it so there's a camera and goggle style monitor mounted in the head. Might be a bit too big for a shellhead, but maybe not

Someone posted pics of the inside of the Deadmau5 head here in the Deadmau5 head thread

11. widescreen

The more I think of it, the more I like the idea of the camera - especially if the camera has a reasonable wide angle.

Even with the extra visibility of the lens idea (& it's cheap) there isn't a lot of sight.

I'm also a Stormtrooper & seeing out of one of these helmets isn't good.

I'd still like more peoples' opinions though , so please keep them coming.

Paul

12. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

A number of people on the SIWDAT forum were playing around with camera/HUD concepts; here's the link.

A lot of the concept was to use VUZIX viewer glasses, which coincidentally interface nicely with an iPod or iPhone. Add the "Iron HUD" app and (provided your iPod or iPhone has a camera) all you need to do is find a place to conceal it on your suit.

13. widescreen

Hmmmm - this looks really good & as it happens I've just updated the wife's iphone. So, I have a spare iphone to use this.

Just a bit more research into this being used with the glasses.:)

14. widescreen

I found some of these sexy looking babies (i know, I should get out more) on the web for about £70. Just as cheap as the Chinese cheapies on fleabay:

[​IMG]

They're compatible with iphones & gaming consoles so may have to invest in a pair.

15. widescreen

I've managed to find a cheap pair on videos glasses (Ebay - £25 - bargain).

When they arrive I'll connect them to a camera (phone or mini spy cam) & see what the vision is like.
    I'm hoping that the fact that the glasses are made to watch films & play games through that they should be suitable.

Fingers crossed.

16. rensole

rensole Active Member

to be honnest i tried having my glasses on with the warmachine helmet and it doesnt have a lot of space with the faceplate

so dunno just my 2 cents

17. widescreen

Dunno myself yet - I may have to break down the glasses & fit the screens to the inside of the faceplate???

Nothing ventured - nothing gained.

18. rensole

rensole Active Member

i think you might have to a good idea might be if you take out all the electronics (CAREFULLY!) and resize/fit them in might work

19. Psicorp7

Psicorp7 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

20. MrTrouble

MrTrouble Member

21. RumbleBee

RumbleBee Member

LOL...great thread...too many good ones to reply to...

Hey, the lighted eyes version I take it is even more limited as far as vision goes I presume?

btw- great idea with the glasses saw that a while back as well

22. greylocke

greylocke Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

23. widescreen

hi,

i've been into my local maplins & tried one of their pin hole cameras connected to a small screen (they don't do the glasses any more).
    It works pretty good.
    I've spoken to someone on the technical team @ Vuzix (video glasses manufacturers) who've advised that their iwear glasses should work for this idea.
    The glasses I bought previously were for VR only so they're going back on Ebay & I'll see if I can buy a pair of the iwear pretty cleaply.

Paul

24. MadHatter250

MadHatter250 New Member

i don't know too much about suggestions for the eyes, but on the suit i'm building, we're planning on doing a 2 speaker/microphone set up. one mic will be inside near the mouth linked to a speaker pointed to the outside world. the other will be hidden outside the helmet hooked to a speaker near the ear. we figure this'll help with all communication between the wearer and those around them. just a thought

25. widescreen

You may have to be careful with feedback.
    I also have a Stormtrooper costume & use a 'waistband amp' for this. This has a mic which sits near my mouth & the speaker/amp & battery unit is placed around my chest. These units are pretty cheap (around £15-£25 - don't know in dollars) & are plenty load enough.

26. teragon

teragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is exactly what I did, I took a pair of vuzix, connected it to a cctv pinhole camera and 9v battery located inside the lip between the faceplate and the helmet, attached the glasses (minus the frame, too bulky !) inside the faceplate and the servos are strong enough to lift both the faceplate and the glasses. It works like a charm, it's like seeing the world through a big screen a few feet in front of you, but once you get used to it, it's just awesome. No fancy augmented reality though, it's just a live feed, but in theory it would be possible to connect the camera to a comuter of some sort, then to the glasses, adding then whatever graphic layer or augmented reality program you want. That's a for a future V2, as I'm happy with my system right now.

27. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

sounds like its pretty cool, and probably beats the limited vision with the slits below the lights

this way you can light the whole eye, and still see better

how is the visibility in the dark, and does it come with infrared or something similar (most cameras have some kind of night vision)

28. teragon

Well, for a 12$ camera, it works surprisingly good ! Don't hope to see in total darkness, but in low light environments, I actually see a bit better than with my real eyes. I had to take the small infrared bulbs out in order to fit the camera in the helmet but you can replace it with a more powerful one somewhere else, behind the arc reactor for example.
    You probably also can find a better camera than mine for an even better night vision and a better picture, but if you want it in the helmet, you're pretty limited in size.

29. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

in an iron man helmet, the air vent at the top would lend itself perfectly for a camera, methinks ;)

30. teragon

It could work, with a slim, tubular camera, but I didn't have enough place up there, even after stripping out the case of the camera. It's quite a thin emplacement ! You could also use a bigger one, but in the suit, in a shoulder or something, but then you have to turn your whole body to see, instead of the head. I also tried, but the fact that the picture didn't follow when I turned my head made me kind of nauseous, so I had to figure out something else.

31. widescreen

Thanks for the confirmation Teragon. I couldn't imagine why it wouldn't work, but it's good to hear that someone else has had success with this idea.
    I plan to put the camera in the chin. I thought about putting it in the vent, but thought it may limit the vision to see a child near the front of me - I wouldn't want to send a kid flying - not a good idea.
    I was thinking of stripping the glasses right down to reduce the bulk.
    I haven't even got my helmet ready yet - first thing first. lol

32. TKSteve

TKSteve Well-Known Member

Would you ever post a tutorial of this?

33. Ducez

Ducez New Member

I am extremely glad i found this! i though of it but could never find anyone who had done it, or thought of doing it. Thanks all!!!! ha, I am working on my first build, which is a war machine. i planned on video eyewear from the beginning. great thread!!!!

34. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Member

I've been looking into doing this for a while for my Mando helmet, just haven't taken the plunge yet. I'll definitely go with a setup I can swap between both costumes.

I really want to do a 3D setup, and that is my big hangup. I know how to do it with absurdly expensive equipment, but the idea is to get the right simple parts for the job. All you have to figure out is how to get a set of the glasses to accept two different video signals.

If I can find cheap enough glasses that work, I'll do my best to hack them up and do this custom, but if not it would be simple to just use two separate sets to reduce down to one eye each.

The optics of going 3D are plenty complicated as well, but I won't get into that here. I've done a lot of research already.