Iron Man Suit Advice

JefCostello

I've been wanting to build an Iron Man suit for a log time now but i'm not sure what would be the best way to go about it. I'm relatively new to making things, but i want to give it a try making something a bit more ambitious - like an Iron Man suit.

Any suggestions of what would be the best material to build it out of would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you are new to cosplaying and you don't mind little imperfections gp with foam. If you have done pepakura before and have a lot of time on your hands and want the most acurrate suit go with paper. Cardboard is a little in the middle. If you go paper or cardboard you sacrifice mobility for the look. Also paper and cardboard tend to last longer, but if are good to your foam suit it will last long too. Herosworkshop.com Has a playlist of tutorials for $25

For high detail and quality, go with Pepakura , for a basic model and solid shape go with cardboard , and for just to give it that curvy shape go with foam, I would recommend you research how much your budget will be, the most expensive is pepakura and it's most time consuming and may result in self inflicted hair pulling hahaha XD, but in my opinion use cardboard.

For high detail and quality, go with Pepakura , for a basic model and solid shape go with cardboard , and for just to give it that curvy shape go with foam, I would recommend you research how much your budget will be, the most expensive is pepakura and it's most time consuming and may result in self inflicted hair pulling hahaha XD, but in my opinion use cardboard.
I don't mean to cut in but you can also go with metal and I believe that this is the most expensive route to take...GM

I don't mean to cut in but you can also go with metal and I believe that this is the most expensive route to take...GM

Actually, metal is very cheap. VERY cheap. The expense comes with the welder, gas, wire, consumables and tooling. If you have a full workshop already, the material is way cheaper than fibreglass/rondo etc.

SB

Actually, metal is very cheap. VERY cheap. The expense comes with the welder, gas, wire, consumables and tooling. If you have a full workshop already, the material is way cheaper than fibreglass/rondo etc.

SB
Hahaha SB you beat me to posting my first retraction...
In the beginning of this journey for me anyway I started as follows...
Foam: Buying all the tools and research time and actual build time. Status abandoned, not what I hoped for functionality wise.
Cardstock resin: A whole lotta mess with limited space, I just couldn't do it.
Metal: Still in the R&D stage.
But I think cost of the build comes down to how intense the build that you want. They all need tools, research and time. Soif your starting from scratch, this can be expensive anyway you look at it. Crap I've been here for 4 years and I still have yet to build a complete armor. Lots of small pieces for my daughter, but just R&D for me. Maybe I am just an idea man...GM

Hahaha SB you beat me to posting my first retraction...
In the beginning of this journey for me anyway I started as follows...
Foam: Buying all the tools and research time and actual build time. Status abandoned, not what I hoped for functionality wise.
Cardstock resin: A whole lotta mess with limited space, I just couldn't do it.
Metal: Still in the R&D stage.
But I think cost of the build comes down to how intense the build that you want. They all need tools, research and time. Soif your starting from scratch, this can be expensive anyway you look at it. Crap I've been here for 4 years and I still have yet to build a complete armor. Lots of small pieces for my daughter, but just R&D for me. Maybe I am just an idea man...GM

I know what you mean mate.

Paper pepakura - printer, cardstock, resin hardening, reinforcing with fibreglass mat, slushing with rondo, building for smoothness and detail with bondo, prime, undercoat, paint, topcoat, lights and electronics, padding, fastening and strapsystem, dust, smell, protective breathing apparatus, drop cloths, nuts, bolts and screws, chemical overalls, gloves, files, sandpaper, painting equipment etc.

Ups - Looks great, light weight and solid.
Downs - Time-consuming, brittle, limits movement, dangerous organic chemicals and dusty work.

Foam pepakura - printer, template paper, hot-glue and gun, (comes unstuck a lot! Especially in the heat.) foam mats, knife, straight edge, spare blades, cutting mat, heat gun, sealer, prime, undercoat, paint, topcoat, lights and electronics, fastening and strap system, nuts, bolts and screws, smell, protective breathing apparatus, sandpaper, painting equipment etc.

Ups - light weight, readily available and reasonably cheap materials, quick builds, comfortable and flexible for movement.
Downs - damages easy, difficult to finish surface, hot-glue prone to releasing in hot environments

Metal - printer, inks, template paper, cardboard for custom tailoring,hotglue gun and glue, knifes and blades, cutting mat, straight edge, steel sheet, tin snips, drills and bits, welder, welding wire, welding gas, grinder and disks, files, sandpaper, all kinds of hammers, anvil, dollys, vice, grips, crimps and brakes, nuts, bolts and screws, personal protective clothing, rustproofing, sealer, prime, undercoat, paint, topcoat, lights and electronics, fastening and strap system, smell, protective breathing apparatus, sandpaper, painting equipment etc.

Ups - Looks awesome, sounds the goods, cheap material, very tough, easy to assemble
Downs - heavy, limits movement, tool and skill intensive, time-consuming

So as you can see, there are advantages and disadvantages to both. I personally think it all comes down to your skill sets, how determined you are for a particular standard of finish and how much time, resources and money you are willing to throw at it.

SB

Last edited by a moderator:
You've posted excellent pro's & con's on these applications SB.
I have been working on how to make a metal armor with full range of motion. I have the boots, gauntlets, abs, back worked out so far. But it has its highs and lows, sometime I feel like a hack lol...GM

Don't forget:
3D Printing: 3D Printer, Filament (PLA advised), soldering iron to connect cut parts, tape to testfit or other purposes, sandpaper to prepare the surface, resin and fiberglass cloth (optional, but advisable for extra strength), Bondo to smoothen everything u, primer, paint, extra materials to make joints, electronics depending on your plans.

UPS: 3D files are very accurate and can add many details to your suit. You load up a file and let your printer do the work! you can measure everything up beforehand and make sure the print will fit you. It provides a solid base to work on with bondo.

Downs: 3D Printers are expensive, although you can get some for cheap if you are willing to do research. (I have a pretty good one for €430). It requires some technical knowhow. You need to work with 3D editing software and slicing software, this could be overwelming at first if you are not familiar with the field. 3D printing is not fail-proof. You can end up with a failed print or prints that are slighlty warped due to heating issues. Most of these things are overcome by patience and trial-and-error. :

Feel free to add.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've posted excellent pro's & con's on these applications SB.
I have been working on how to make a metal armor with full range of motion. I have the boots, gauntlets, abs, back worked out so far. But it has its highs and lows, sometime I feel like a hack lol...GM

Gauntlets are the absolute nightmare of Iron Man cosplay!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back