Iron Man painting tips?

ultron

Hi, all.

This is my first time painting with spray paint, so there have been some trials. I'm not pleased with the color matching of the red:
5877226067_ae70f51bcc.jpg

5877787690_3d8a2d0dee.jpg

Note that these were taken with a cellphone camera and thus the color isn't going to show up right. That is why I tried to include the film as well to show the relative color. I recognize that lighting plays a large role in how colors appear in person and on film.

I'd like it to be a bit darker and more metallic. I've seen Toyota Barcelona Red Metallic mentioned as a good color. First, do you have recommendations for particular paints used? Most of the people I've seen have used gold lacquers that seem to have lost their color codings over the years.

Second, now that I've already painted the helmet I'm left in a difficult position. Is it better to paint over the present color, or should I strip the paint, re-prime, and paint with the new color? Will stripping the paint damage the helmet since it's polyurethane resin instead of metal, or should it be okay?

Thanks, and if you have additional tips or have run into similar issues, please sound off!

dont know if its any help...but I used a red primer on helmet then picked out a shade of red from autozone I liked....the face plate I painted yellow first then dusted with gold.

you can paint right over it if you prepped it well the first time
Also the red is too red you need more of a burgandy, go to a local autoparts store and get one of their touch up paints that looks like your screengrab
Jack

you can paint right over it if you prepped it well the first time
Also the red is too red you need more of a burgandy, go to a local autoparts store and get one of their touch up paints that looks like your screengrab
Jack

I used Plasti-Kote gray primer to prep it after washing it and cleaning it with a cotton cloth. Is this sufficient preparation, or should I do more?

Thanks for the suggestion to cboath, as well.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back