Iron Man MkVII 3D model

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by ddf27, Mar 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

Hey guys
    Here's a link for the files that I was able to finish so far.
    Iron Man Mark 7 by David F. - 4shared
    https://www.mediafire.com/folder/a7knxsmlea287/Iron_Man_Mk7

It will contain pepakura, foam, .obj files and .stl files for 3d print, so choose your way and good luck.
    I tried to make it easy to build, with as much details as I could.
    If you want, post some pictures of your build, I would love to see how it turns out.

Here's a list of the parts that I have so far on that folder:

Abs: All files uploaded.
    Arms: .stl and .obj file uploaded
    Boots: -
    Cod: pep, .stl and .obj files uploaded
    Helmet: .stl and .obj file uploaded
    Legs: .stl and .obj file uploaded
    Neck: .stl and .obj files uploaded
    Torso: .stl and .obj files uploaded

Special thanks to:
    - streetsoul for unfolding it to pepakura
    - Kryro for unfolding it to foam
    - Chipsahoyes for cutting the .stl files

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,
    After lots of time searching for a good 3d model of Iron Man Mk VII (the one on Avengers), I decided to do it myself.
    Since I'm a bit perfectionist, I'm trying to make one as close as possible to the one in the movies, but be patient with me, because I learnt 3d modelling in 20 minutes and this is actually my first try, so any suggestion and help is appreciated.

Here is my progress so far, the upper part doesn't have many details yet, because I wanted to finish the legs first and work my way up.

V1.png
    V2.png
    V3.png
    V4.png

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  2. TheAssassin

TheAssassin New Member

Looking good buddy what program do you use?

3. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

Thanks! I'm using Blender. Already tried lots of programs, and this is seriously easier imho.

4. Bogleo

Bogleo Well-Known Member

Wow! That looks really good. When you say you learned it in 20 minutes, do you mean you watched a video? Which one?

5. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

Thanks a lot! Yes, I watched this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ5veLcxFsc It has the principal bases for 3d modelling with blueprints, in my opinion though I'm not a pro at this, and I skipped some steps that I think are not totally necessary.

6. TheAssassin

TheAssassin New Member

I'll have to check that out! I don't know much of anything about 3D modeling but would like to learn!!

7. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

Update here: cod and thigh pieces almost done, going for the shins next. Still don't know if I should make the various details on the cod or just leave it like this. Since I'm gonna pep this eventually, I can do those details in the bondo stage. What do you guys think?

V5.png

8. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

Small update: Finished the cod 100% and, for pure fun, threw some colors to it. :D

V6.png

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    streetsoul, Cadeus and Bogleo like this.
  9. streetsoul

streetsoul Sr Member

10. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

I'm still here! I've been working on the ab plates, they're separate now, lot easier to build and much more detailed. I'm gonna make some extra parts so that they slide on one another. I'm going to work on the rings and spine now. Plus, I corrected a bit the front of the thighs, I didn't like how they were, but no big changes. Another thing I'm not liking is the back/shoulders bit, it looks too big even without the booster packs. Any opinions?

V7.png

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  11. streetsoul

streetsoul Sr Member

abs are looking great buddy and id keep on going pal i think the back is looking great and once the boosters are on its not acctually that big :)

12. Android

Android New Member

Wow looks good so far! Any chance you'll be uploading the model on here?

13. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

Thanks! And to your question, yes, when it's finished (somewhere in a week or two I hope), I will upload both the model and the pepakura files unfolded.

14. streetsoul

streetsoul Sr Member

15. Darth Sparrow

Darth Sparrow New Member

Will this be able to be made in foam. I want to complete a mark 7 arm in the next 3 weeks :)

16. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

No big updates today, sorry, had a crazy day, but at least I was able to do a little on the rings and trust me, it's a pain in the *! But it's getting nice, I'll show pictures soon.

Well, that doesn't depend on me, buddy. If there was someone that could unfold this for foam, then absolutely. Right now, I can only say with certainty that it will be available in pep, but I will ask around, don't worry. :)

17. streetsoul

streetsoul Sr Member

how goes the build buddy ? any progress ?

18. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

Slow but so far so good, I think. I found this photo that shows how the rings are separate and I'm planning on following it. I will definitely have more progresses tomorrow and in the weekend, don't worry. So far, what do you think?

V8.png 6.jpg

19. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

(Repost: nevermind this)

20. streetsoul

streetsoul Sr Member

yeh its looking great buddy cant wait to see this done its going to be amazing great work as always :)

ddf27 likes this.
  21. streetsoul

streetsoul Sr Member

friendly bump for this amazing build

22. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

Sorry for the long wait. I'm almost done with the front of the rings, there's just that little spot between the first and second rings that I have no idea how I will do it... In the meantime, I will start the spine right now and hopefully finish it still today. I wish I had more updates to show but the abs are driving me crazy, ahah. Still, they're pretty nice, imho. :)

V9.png

23. Blackout

Blackout Active Member

Looks fantastic so far! A tip for making your models look nicer for rendering with blender: set the objects faces to 'smooth' and add the modifier: 'edge split' :)
    Keep up the good work!

ddf27 likes this.
  24. TheAssassin

TheAssassin New Member

Wow its really coming along!!! Cant wait to see more keep up the great work!

ddf27 likes this.
  25. streetsoul

streetsoul Sr Member

looking awsome buddy keep it up :)

ddf27 likes this.
  26. darkside501st

darkside501st Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Keep in mind the pictures you are using for 'blueprints' are perspective images and therefore the various parts of the suit on the front/back images don't match up to the side images. Also, the suit from the top of his head to the bottom of his feet is not proportionate either. I have spent a lot of time on my model compensating for that and making sure that everything is properly proportioned. It would be so much easier if we had orthographic views from the front, back, and sides. ;)

It is looking good. Keep plugging away at it.

ddf27, ironbat and Bogleo like this.
  27. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

Yeah, I know that already, specially when I was in the head. I had to rotate the images to match the side image with the front image. It gets tiring after a while, but I won't give up. Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it! :D

28. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

Hey all. Finished the spine a while ago and it looks beautiful. I've been working on the back of the rings, trying to make it easier to build and now all I see are the imperfections on the rings in the front, which I will give it a go once I finish the back part. It won't take long to finish the abs, I think. :)

V11.png

streetsoul likes this.
  29. streetsoul

streetsoul Sr Member

gota say bro that back piece is looking sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttt cant wait to tackle this build and build an accurate mk 7 :)

30. streetsoul

streetsoul Sr Member

bump for such an awsome model :)

31. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

I've been working my * off on the abs and they're almost complete! Tomorrow I think I can get them finished and ready for the unfolding with the cod as well! :)

32. streetsoul

streetsoul Sr Member

awsome cant wait bro

- - - Updated - - -

awsome cant wait bro

33. yavinmaster

yavinmaster New Member

Nothing to add, but felt I had to say what a great job! Been looking for a source to base a 3D print of the Mark VII and this might just be it!

34. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

So, like I promised for today, the abs are finally ready for unfolding. :D Here's a picture of it. I'm gonna work on converting it to .stl right now. Moving to another subject, just a quick question, the cod piece is also ready for unfolding but it does not contain the grooves, since I was thinking of making them in the bondo stage on pepakura. Since some of you will in 3d print this, for maximum accuracy, should I add the grooves? It will take me some time though.

ABS.png

35. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

Update: Already put the link of my 4shared folder with abs files on foam and .stl files (on this one, I did the best I could without being a pro). Again, if you see any flaw, please tell me.

36. Chipsahoyes

Chipsahoyes New Member

I'm in the middle of printing the first portion of the abs, had to cut them into multiple pieces to print. The lower ab should be done tomorrow night, can't wait! I love the detail in the abs, would love to see similar details in the cod but I can always add them in with some bondo. GREAT JOB on the files!

ddf27 likes this.
  37. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

Look forward on seeing some pics of it in action, hope you can get a good fit! I didn't add the grooves on the cod because in pepakura it would be a pain in the * to make them, and since bondo is a must, they can still be made, but for 3d print I'll see what I can do.

Going for the upper torso now, so expect lots of extra parts!

38. streetsoul

streetsoul Sr Member

ok buddy i have the unfolds ready to upload just let me no how u want them sending and ill send them too you :)

39. Chipsahoyes

Chipsahoyes New Member

I have the .stl files cut and ready to upload let me know how you want them sent as well

- - - Updated - - -

I have the .stl files cut and ready to upload let me know how you want them sent as well

40. streetsoul

streetsoul Sr Member

hey buddy ive sent you the files now hope they ok and look forward to unfolding more files :)

41. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

Update: For those that are going for the pepakura way like me, the cod and abs are already uploaded.

42. streetsoul

streetsoul Sr Member

bump for the day :) hows the progress coming along buddy hope the unfolds are ok :)

43. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

Sorry, got caught up on Daredevil and building the cod. The unfolds are amazing btw! Going to work on the torso now, hopefully I finish the torso without boost packs tomorrow.

44. streetsoul

streetsoul Sr Member

ooo make sure you get progress pics buddy of your build and sweet cant wait for that back piece :) i no its gunna be awsome :) and your welcome man glad you like em

45. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

Update: Just changed the stl file for the abs to already cut stl files to make it easier to 3d print. Thanks to chipsahoyes for cutting them.

And to show you that I am still working on this, I'm almost finishing the back. :D

V13.png

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  46. streetsoul

streetsoul Sr Member

looking gud buddy great work

47. ddf27

ddf27 Active Member

I already finished the back piece without the booster pack and it looks really good imo. Going to finish the chest and extra parts, and somewhere in this week it'll be ready for unfold. (Colors may be incorrect, specially in the yellow bits, but this is just to look pretty anyway, so... :lol)

V15.png

48. Chipsahoyes

Chipsahoyes New Member

Wow! Looking great! Looks like I'll have my hands full printing for a while :)

49. streetsoul

streetsoul Sr Member

looks brilliant buddy cant wait to unfold it

50. streetsoul

streetsoul Sr Member

Friendly bump for this awsome thread great work buddy