IRON MAN MKVI full resin suit and helmet video

Yeah its a simple design. I made a rough cast helmet ith some old resin so i could twesk the pivot points for the best result. Then put thr hinges on my real helmet.took a lot of fiddling. The whole mechanism is small and doest affect the space within too much.its one mini servo(metal gears) and 4small metal strips !

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk

Looks great! Did you go with blue leds? Or white?

And with your hinge system, will you be sharing that or possibly selling it? I I tried to replicate it but was unsuccessful so far lol. Just curious.

I love the attention to detail in your suit. Such as the battle damage! :D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

i was thinking, with the void around the cod piece soft type rubber pieces that are cut to look like plating scaled maybe. It would have to be rubber that was very flexible and you felt comfortable with.. just an idea. Anyway great build....

Hi thanks for the comments.
The hip area is still causing me problems.wanted to do some outside photos wearing the suit this weekend but unless it looks right ill have to hold off

Currently the eyes are lit .but this weekend i will make them so they are off when faceplate is raised. And no there us a gap that i can see through

The first thing i did was use an old helmet to work out the best positions for the hinges,then I use a block of wood the same size as a servo and while having the helmet on moved it around to a position that did not obstruct my head etc, from there then i fitted the hinges so it flipped manually, then worked out how much torque was required to lift the faceplate at my chosen point, #then i purchased a small servo with metal gears and enough torque to lift it in this case 2.5kg per cm.It still needs a bit of tweaking as some friction is causing a slowdown on the hinges but it works so i am pleased

As I re-watched the Video you have I paused it as you opened the helmet with the servo and noticed that you are using hinges on the "vent" piece of the helmet. I liked the Idea but realized it won't work for me not enough room :(

The first thing i did was use an old helmet to work out the best positions for the hinges,then I use a block of wood the same size as a servo and while having the helmet on moved it around to a position that did not obstruct my head etc, from there then i fitted the hinges so it flipped manually, then worked out how much torque was required to lift the faceplate at my chosen point, #then i purchased a small servo with metal gears and enough torque to lift it in this case 2.5kg per cm.It still needs a bit of tweaking as some friction is causing a slowdown on the hinges but it works so i am pleased

Thanks for this! Is there any way you could take some detailed pictures of the hinges and the servos in the helmet?

Im using a servo tester to drive the servo. That has a control knob that i now use as a trimmer. I added the on off button and adjusted the knob !

Also if its not too much trouble could you explain how you did this too? Im having issues figuring out how to make the servos move how i want them. Im brand new to working with servos so any information will really help me out.

Thanks!

can i ask a question guys. when youv made your paper piece then fiber glassed and bondoed it. do you then wear that piece or are you supposed to use it to make a silicone mold and create a plastic piece ?

You mold it and cast it. Otherwise it is: A. Uncomfortable to wear beacause of the fiberglass backing inside, B. Much heavier because of all the filler used

You mold it and cast it. Otherwise it is: A. Uncomfortable to wear beacause of the fiberglass backing inside, B. Much heavier because of all the filler used

ok cool how do you mold something like the chest piece which dosnt really have a back to it ? i know aboout slush coating but have no idea how you would do it on these pieces

Brush on the silicone in several coats to build up the mold, then create your hard shell using fiberglass or something similar. Check out Smooth-On's youtube channel for some great molding and casting tips

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back