IRON MAN MKVI full resin suit and helmet video

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by monkeeman, Apr 18, 2012.

1. monkeeman

monkeeman Member

Right seems im coming to the end now.
    This has been far more complicated than I had expected.
    things left to do:
    paint the helmet, got the eyes lit and the servo needs tweaking but the faceplate will lift and close with no visible mechanism...im using the helmet i made about two years ago ,I still see casts i mad popping up on here from time to time.

got the fingers to do, all molded and ready to assemble, tried a few failed attempts with red cloth gloves dyed dark red and glue the individual finger pieces to it , nearly sorted this now but fiddly work.

arc reactor needs to go in (after final painting)

and then it needs weathering scratching etc to make it less toy like and more like the one on screen,

The part im worried about the most is between the top of the thigh and the codpiece. so im going to have to come up with something to fill that void, has to be flexible as there's a lot of movement in that area,

also the knees look rubbish when i bend them as it exposes a big cap.

im really pleased with it and have learned a lot along the way, the next one i make will be easier as I have all the molds already now.
    here is a pic and feel free to check out my other posts or have any questions.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. LOGANCLAW22

LOGANCLAW22 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: IRON MAN MKVI Nearly finished !!

This looks great! A strip or a few strips/layers of flexible rubber could be used to fill the gap between the thighs and groin. Also, a red metallic zentai suit bought off ebay would work too. You can always draw a pattern onto the zentai suit in the gapped spot to mimick lack of armor there. Trust me, it's hard to tell if the metallic zentai is underneath and shows through gaps. Good luck.

Paul

3. itsaplane

itsaplane Member

Looks super awesome so far!

4. nlschutd

nlschutd Well-Known Member

what happend to your face? :p

5. monkeeman

monkeeman Member

the face isnt finished yet ....lol

6. dyip99

dyip99 New Member

looking good there bro~

7. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow!!! That looks fantastic. What was your process? Any WIP pictures?

It seriously looks like you stole one of the promo suits. :lol

-Nick

8. monkeeman

monkeeman Member

Re: IRON MAN MKVI Nearly finished !! new pics

Hi again,
    well I finally got around to making a wooden frame to support and display my suit,nothing fancy but works well !

as you can see I still need to make the right hand, and finish the helmet (held off paining it until I was happy with the mechanics inside.) GGGRRRRRR !!

Also still need to sort out the bits between the groin and thighs.Decided to make some color matched silicone pieces and started them today, possibly Incorporate the hip pods as well as i think solid ones will restrict the movement a bit to much :confused

anyway here are some pics

Edit: forgot to mention I have scratched it up a bit and started a bit of weathering like the movie version, not too much but enough to give the impression its metal and used

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  9. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That really looks great!

10. Tigerblood

Tigerblood Well-Known Member

Great job man, and I hate you for raising the level, LoL. Distress looks great.

11. quovadis0920

quovadis0920 Sr Member

Lookin' great there buddy! :thumbsup

12. monkeeman

monkeeman Member

hi guys,
    just a quicky, while working on my helmet lifting mechanism I thought id pop my original helmet sculpt onto my suit.Its made out of plaster and card etc so quite heavy but good enough to take some pics.
    also heres a pic of my arc reactor bezel made from a piece of aluminium (pleased with that.
    and the other pic shows the size of the suit compared to a 6 inch mk4 figure on the floor lol.
    as for the helmet I got the face plate lifting now nice and quick but the 90 degree rotation on the servo doesn't open it high enough. So a quick google found out that i can extend the sweep up to 180 degrees by soldering some resistors into the servo. I will be doing this tomorrow night so fingers crossed!

13. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Looking realy greate !

14. monkeeman

monkeeman Member

Well i modded the servo for 180 degree sweep. Rewired an on off switch.and now my faceplate flips up with one press and down with another...happy days !

15. longlenium

longlenium New Member

if you just at the switch on/off how you suppose to stop when it suppost to stop

16. TKSteve

TKSteve Well-Known Member

Amazing. I have no idea how you guys pull this stuff off. Building clone armor is way easier. LOL.

17. monkeeman

monkeeman Member

Im using a servo tester to drive the servo. That has a control knob that i now use as a trimmer. I added the on off button and adjusted the knob !

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk

18. monkeeman

monkeeman Member

Re: IRON MAN MKVI suit with helmet video

here is a quick rough video of my helmet mechanism working.

helmet.mp4 - YouTube

sorry about quality

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  19. TAZNITBR

TAZNITBR Active Member

Looks beautiful and funccional man! Great job!

20. Dpeterson117

Dpeterson117 Active Member

Great work, the open close design from what I could tell was one of the best ones I've seen and seemed so simple.

The hinges on the sides looked like just one long piece?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

21. monkeeman

monkeeman Member

Yeah its a simple design. I made a rough cast helmet ith some old resin so i could twesk the pivot points for the best result. Then put thr hinges on my real helmet.took a lot of fiddling. The whole mechanism is small and doest affect the space within too much.its one mini servo(metal gears) and 4small metal strips !

22. monkeeman

monkeeman Member

23. Dpeterson117

Looks great! Did you go with blue leds? Or white?

And with your hinge system, will you be sharing that or possibly selling it? I I tried to replicate it but was unsuccessful so far lol. Just curious.

I love the attention to detail in your suit. Such as the battle damage! :D

24. GRINCH

GRINCH Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Freakin amazing IM! Will you be doing a run on this suit? Also what are your specs?

25. Joe Pep

Joe Pep Active Member

i was thinking, with the void around the cod piece soft type rubber pieces that are cut to look like plating scaled maybe. It would have to be rubber that was very flexible and you felt comfortable with.. just an idea. Anyway great build....

26. monkeeman

monkeeman Member

Hi thanks for the comments.
    The hip area is still causing me problems.wanted to do some outside photos wearing the suit this weekend but unless it looks right ill have to hold off

27. Dpeterson117

While watching the video it looks like you have the eyes lit up Completely? Is that intended or am I wrong?

28. monkeeman

monkeeman Member

Currently the eyes are lit .but this weekend i will make them so they are off when faceplate is raised. And no there us a gap that i can see through

29. MTB

MTB Well-Known Member

Very nice! Will you be sharing how you did the hinge/servo system?

30. Dpeterson117

Yea I wondered this same thing.. I can't seem to get one to work on my helmet.

31. monkeeman

monkeeman Member

The first thing i did was use an old helmet to work out the best positions for the hinges,then I use a block of wood the same size as a servo and while having the helmet on moved it around to a position that did not obstruct my head etc, from there then i fitted the hinges so it flipped manually, then worked out how much torque was required to lift the faceplate at my chosen point, #then i purchased a small servo with metal gears and enough torque to lift it in this case 2.5kg per cm.It still needs a bit of tweaking as some friction is causing a slowdown on the hinges but it works so i am pleased

32. Dpeterson117

As I re-watched the Video you have I paused it as you opened the helmet with the servo and noticed that you are using hinges on the "vent" piece of the helmet. I liked the Idea but realized it won't work for me not enough room :(

33. monkeeman

monkeeman Member

whats taking up the room in your helmet ? or is it just a tight fit?

34. Dpeterson117

There is some room but depending on where they sit is what decides if I can use them.

35. MTB

MTB Well-Known Member

Thanks for this! Is there any way you could take some detailed pictures of the hinges and the servos in the helmet?

Also if its not too much trouble could you explain how you did this too? Im having issues figuring out how to make the servos move how i want them. Im brand new to working with servos so any information will really help me out.

Thanks!

36. firebapx

firebapx Well-Known Member

can i ask a question guys. when youv made your paper piece then fiber glassed and bondoed it. do you then wear that piece or are you supposed to use it to make a silicone mold and create a plastic piece ?

37. Kevin Gossett

You mold it and cast it. Otherwise it is: A. Uncomfortable to wear beacause of the fiberglass backing inside, B. Much heavier because of all the filler used

38. firebapx

firebapx Well-Known Member

ok cool how do you mold something like the chest piece which dosnt really have a back to it ? i know aboout slush coating but have no idea how you would do it on these pieces

39. Kevin Gossett

Brush on the silicone in several coats to build up the mold, then create your hard shell using fiberglass or something similar. Check out Smooth-On's youtube channel for some great molding and casting tips

40. monkeeman

monkeeman Member

Fixed lightspill

41. Dpeterson117

Looks good!

42. monkeeman

monkeeman Member

Well the sun came out today briefly, so i grabbed the tripod and the top half of my suit and took a few pics in the garden.
    so here we are complete with home made VonZipper sunglasses !

43. longlenium

longlenium New Member

wohhh that not a garden... it a forest..lol

44. monkeeman

monkeeman Member

45. guyver3869

guyver3869 New Member

Man that looks great, you are an inspiration to us noobs. Will keep an eye on your work. Thanks for sharing.

46. Tony Stark III

Tony Stark III Well-Known Member

torso looks great too!

47. monkeeman

monkeeman Member

Thankyou although the movement in that area is limited. I didnt want to spoil the lines

48. LastKNIGHT

LastKNIGHT New Member

Oh my, that looks absolutely fantastic! Great job.

49. Talonspidey

Talonspidey New Member

Hi Monkeeman,
    Will you be selling this these costumes ?
    How can I get one ?
    What sizes will it fit ?
    thanks.

50. AsgardAssassin

AsgardAssassin Active Member

Great work monkeeman
    I'm so impressed!
    I'm a owner of one of your lovely helmets, and was wondering if you intended enlightening us with your hinge solution or possibly looking to sell a kit?
    Keep up the good work!