Iron Man Mk III build (UK) Eyes, Voice control and paint on helmet

bamboodia

Hi everybody,
I joined this forum a few weeks back after being inspired by STEALTH's youtube channel, the hero tutorials, to have a go at pepakura myself. After looking through the forums at some of your guys work (Surreal Studios, Finhead, Darkside501st, Zabana, Davy to name but a few) I was hooked.
I jumped straight in and haven't really stopped since. Every spare hour I can give up when not in work has been spent on my Mk III IM. I've spent just over three weeks on it so far and hope to be finished with the pep in two weeks time. I'll be keeping this build as up to date as possible and there'll be loads of questions undoubtedly that I might need you guys to help me answer.

Here are the pics of the progress so far.

2.jpg

3.jpg

One question I do have at the moment concerns the cod piece. I have all the other pieces in their correct position and have referenced it against Dancin fools renders (as these are his files) but the bottom edges of the front and rear of the cod piece just seem a bit too high for me. What solution would you guys suggest for this?

Last edited:
Re: Iron Man Mk III pep build (UK)

Man thats alot of pep work right there. Great job, though I have no idea about the codpiece good luck.

Hello mate,

it's good to see another Iron Man Brit fan.
This is a lot of work. So far so good.
With respect to your question - I'm afraid I can't help you either as I'm doing the MKV1.
I have seen some pics where the rest (between the front & back) looks like a piece of rubber or foam. I hope this information is of some use.

Thanks guys, your praise helps me keep motivated.
@widescreen - Cheers for the info, I was thinking extensions to the pep work and then fiberglassing them but feared this might end up cutting vital organs off my body. Rubber or foam sounds more comfortable but I want it to be as rigid as possible. I'm in two minds here.
@Crank729 - I think I must of put in 100-120 hours on this build so far. It's my first ever build so I'm learning as I go.

wow looks amazing so far cant wait to see more. hey does any one know if i can get these iron man files for a mac??? i hope i dont get in trouble for askin that here. but i just cant fins any one and i really wanna start an iron man build.

looking good,smashing pep work:thumbsup nice n clean.
thats the easy part nearly out of the way.

The easy part? What have I gotten myself in to? :confused BTW your build is the dogs proverbials fingaz.

Thanks for the comments though guys, much appreciated. I'm afraid I can't help with the mac files, I don't have a clue when it comes to macs.

Hey Bam,
Nice peping there!

Ohhh the cod piece .. been peping it twice now .. and will probably do it a 3rd time .. like most people who tried it I guess. Problem is, it's not made for a human being's size. so it always end up too small to slide on!

From what I see in your picture, it seems like you have the same problem and to make it fit, you stretched it laterally which deformed the model. So now, it lost its roundness and got flatter when seen from the side if you know what I mean.

My current DF version is scaled at 115% and it's still too small, so I'd suggest doing the same. Don't wear it too high too, it should really be spot on your ass, making the upper edge quite low under the belly button .. is this any clear?

Thanks for the reply to my question on the cod piece Bigturc.

This is also my second pep attempt at it. The first one I scaled up to 112% but it was massive on me. The one that's currently on there is scaled at 98% (the rest of the pep is 95% as I'm only 5'8"). I trial fitted the new one on me and it did fit comfortably.

I think I'll have another go at pepping it again but I'll keep the 98% scale on it but reinforce certain areas of it to stop the deformation. My dummy in these pics is leaning forward from the waist slightly which has brought the rear of the cod piece up a tad. I've since straightened him (after it fell down flat on it's face while I was at work today, causing damage to the arm and chest piece :( )

Would it be beneficial to leave the cod piece off the dummy and resin/harden it before I put it on?

Mmm .. well I know one thing .. the current version I have that is 115%, once fiberglassed, I can't fit it anymore, and I wear 33 size pants! So if you do fit in it, and you can slide it on, I'd say just glass it and see from there. It's gonna give you a good idea of what you can achieve after.

The fact that I couldn't fit it on properly stopped me from workin on the abs and side abs so it stalled me on that part of the build! :|

One thing that helped my 2nd version is to add some support to the pepped part. I just measured and added strips of paper to prevent warping. Of course, as long as they're in there, you won't be able to try the part, but just do it in order: pep w/o support, try it on, install support, resin, glass.

looks amazing dude seriously WOW!
currently working on zabana's warmachine HD version and i agrea they are frigging amazing :O!

i'm gonna keep an eye on this :D

Mmm .. well I know one thing .. the current version I have that is 115%, once fiberglassed, I can't fit it anymore, and I wear 33 size pants! So if you do fit in it, and you can slide it on, I'd say just glass it and see from there. It's gonna give you a good idea of what you can achieve after.

The fact that I couldn't fit it on properly stopped me from workin on the abs and side abs so it stalled me on that part of the build! :|

One thing that helped my 2nd version is to add some support to the pepped part. I just measured and added strips of paper to prevent warping. Of course, as long as they're in there, you won't be able to try the part, but just do it in order: pep w/o support, try it on, install support, resin, glass.
Thanks very much, though you have me worried I may have gone too far with the pep work before actually seeing if it fits when resined and glassed :confused. I was happily confident plodding along thinking that if it fits the dummy it'll fit me (as the the dummy is essentialy me). Not so sure now. Time will tell i guess.

looks amazing dude seriously WOW!
currently working on zabana's warmachine HD version and i agrea they are frigging amazing :O!

i'm gonna keep an eye on this :D

Thanks buddy. There are some wickedly talented guys on here. I'm merely trying my best to imitate their work.

Your build is coming along very nicely too.

A small update on the progress so far. I've finished pepping the right arm, right shoulder and done the thigh additions on the left thigh after spending a bit of time repairing some damage to it after the dummy fell over.

0001.jpg

I've now started working on the helmet. Once that is finished I will redo the right calf as it is a zabana pep file and not a dancinfool one. Hope you guys like it :)

Looks awesome, great work! I love seeing these builds come together.

That's interesting that the pelvis isn't working out. I modeled it around a human model so it should work. The only thing I can think of is that it's deforming so it's not fitting correctly. There should be supports in the pdo to help the pelvis to keep its shape. I assume you've been using my final files?

IronManMk3_Final.zip

Also for the pelvis, to get it over your hips I'd suggest taking a similar approach as the master chief builds, where the pelvis is separated into two parts, front and back, by cutting down the sides, then reattaching the parts with either a stretch fabric or elastic so that you can slide it and stretch it up over your hips but it looks like a single piece once it's in place.

Oh yeah I should also mention, if you are using an old version of the pelvis, the old version wasn't designed to fit with the abs as it was made before the abs were. I had to do a lot of reshuffling of the model to get everything to fit together nicely in the final build.

Last edited:

hey bamboodia ,

very good job my friend !!! if you need any help maybe ask me i can tell you some good tips for your work with filler/bondo, look forward and you win this match :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back