Iron Man MK 6 foam armor PROGRESS PICS ADDED

Immortal Goat

Hello again, RPF! I am starting a new costume project, an Iron Man MK 6 movie suit using EVA foam floor mats. I have the pepakura files, provided by Stealth on his YouTube channel (thank you, Stealth, as well as a big thank you to the original creator of the files), and I have begun cutting the pieces out. My foam mats are about half an inch thick which seems kind of thick to me, but it's all I could find in stores near me.

Once I finish the foam build, I plan on coating the whole thing with resin, so it has a nice hard shell, and won't deteriorate the way most foam suits seem to.

Since I have just started, and this is my first foam project, any input would be welcome! Pics coming soon. Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: Iron Man MK 6 foam armor

You will need to seal the foam before coating it. PVA/wood glue is the most popular way to seal. Three or four coats should do the trick, then you can move on to the outer coating

No not correct. If your using smooth on 65D you just use it no need to seal it, that's what the resin is already doing.

I stand corrected. I was under the impression the foam still needed to be sealed :thumbsup

I stand corrected. I was under the impression the foam still needed to be sealed :thumbsup

Sorry you may be right, just pointing around now that I can log onto the site with my pc. XRobot seals his off with the PVA first. In any test I have done with the resin I have not used any sealer on the foam and it worked fine from what I can tell. So I guess I would advise to test a small piece first see how it goes and go form there.

I'm not really used to those forums and I don't know if it's ok, but I'm in the same position as Immortal Goat. Since I'm just starting the same project, is there any part of the suit that would be easier to build, you know to get me started.

If it were me starting out again I would start with a bicep or gauntlet first test size and get the feel for it. If it's the wrong scale or whatever not a huge waste of time or material.

I'm not really used to those forums and I don't know if it's ok, but I'm in the same position as Immortal Goat. Since I'm just starting the same project, is there any part of the suit that would be easier to build, you know to get me started.

Not my thread But just wanting To help, try te chest piece
As the pcs are rather large and straight forward

I'm working on the chest piece first, but I haven't glued anything yet. Still cutting pieces out, but I'm already liking this method way more than making it out of paper. Pics soon.

im also i first timer... i started out with a forearm... it taught me a lot for sure....

3a276cfd.jpg

Here's what I have of the chest so far. The glue is a little messy around the seams, but since I'm going to put a shell of resin over this, I'm not worried.

Yo seem to have done a good job, I'm also trying my first foam project(and project overall). My angle cuts aren't going so well :(. I just ordered a mat cutter, as suggested by Stealth to try to get started with my MK7 armor :).

4f8853a0.jpg

Shot of the back piece. Some of the corners aren't very clean, so I'm going to use modeling clay to sharpen them before I put the resin on. Also, the thickness of foam I have is a little thick for the rest of the armor. Anybody know where I can find 1/4 inch foam online or in stores?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back