Iron Man Mask out of sheet metal.

This all in theory since I haven't worked with these materials...if your just gonna mold it, may be tape on the inside to hold it together and a little bit of bondo to smooth it out. Once the bondo dries I'm guessing it will be solid enough to mold.

Just to let you know guys, I am a complete newbie. I like working with my hands (my ex-es can attest to that) but I am flying blind here. I use sheet metal to cut corners (hihi) and it shows. I can put several cutouts together and cut it so that it will fit snugly, but welding it, or even connecting it is difficult. Not to mention I had a few whiskeys...
Anyway, I will post a pic which might help others mimicking what I am doing but remember I still haven't figured out how to weld the pieces together...
I am creating the setting for a future mold, so I might just screw it together...

I was wondering if you would mold it as with the crisp lines such as the mouth and jawline would come out really nice. Keep up the good work.

why are you making it out of steel to mould it?
i thought the whole idea of it being out of steel was the fact that it made out of steel.

why are you making it out of steel to mould it?
i thought the whole idea of it being out of steel was the fact that it made out of steel.
You are right, of course. Actually making it out of steel is easier than paper. It just takes a little bit more imagination.
I will, of course keep the original in its metal form for show. Maybe even make another one ;)

i'm certainly keen to see where you go with it.

it would frustrate the hell out of me :p
I am also keen to see where I am going with this, hehehe.
One cool thing is that I can lay down pieces of print-out together on the sheet metal so it will make a bigger piece. No need to print out the long thin paper pieces as I am adding it to the main body and bend it afterwards (mostly 90 degree angle). In Pepakura viewer you can enable shader mode so to know where the ridges and folds are.
Hope you guys know what I am saying ;)

Okay, good news and bad news. Are you guys (and gals, I'm sure you are out there:)) ready for the good news? Well, I've learned a lot about modeling. No, I didn't get naked and have my pics taken in my underwear, even though I am rippingly hot! The plus side is that I can see 3d more clearly in my head when I am cutting either paper or sheet metal. One is easier on the hands, though...
Bad news: I have to quit my current endeavor regarding using sheet metal to make an Iron Man mask. I started out with the wrong material and even though the pictures look pretty cool, it is not as functional as I wanted it to be. (yes, it's a mask and it succeeds at that...)
This last pic is to remind you guys that it is the journey that counts, and not the destination. There will be another path for me to follow and I will create the mask that I set out to make. To some this might sound corny, but not every one has the luxury to have the time or environment to do something like this. I hope I can inspire amateurs like myself to spend time creating something with your hands. Love to all of you hobbyists out there. You know who you are ;)

Last edited:
Thin galvanized would be difficult to weld for a beginner and unhealthy without a mask. Maybe soldering would work. Gutters used to be soldered together.

Nice try though.

Update: I have started on my 3rd mask. Paper, 85grams and hopefully I can turn it into a mold :)
Wish me luck!
Oh, the metal one I will give to a local cafe for display.

Thin galvanized would be difficult to weld for a beginner and unhealthy without a mask. Maybe soldering would work. Gutters used to be soldered together.

Nice try though.

If I recall from my welding classes you need something more like a respirator or a scuba set up for welding galvanized things.
Zinc vapor is really really nasty stuff.

Soldering would probably work best, this is just ducting metal right?

Hello, I'm new here so i don't know how to this properly :) do you have some video on how you did it ? and also how did you conected the pices ?

Hello, I'm new here so i don't know how to this properly :) do you have some video on how you did it ? and also how did you conected the pices ?
As I didn't record it on video, I can't show you ;) (project is finished and in the can)
I used metalic tape, normally used for air-vents sealing.It's like very thin metal paper and doesn't hold-up well against the sharp edges. Pics look better than the actual mask.:cry
I've started on my 3rd mask (paper) and I will create a mold from it when it is finished. Wish me luck.

Anyone out there has any tips to harden the paper, actual mold making etc... I appreciate it.

As I didn't record it on video, I can't show you ;) (project is finished and in the can)
I used metalic tape, normally used for air-vents sealing.It's like very thin metal paper and doesn't hold-up well against the sharp edges. Pics look better than the actual mask.:cry
I've started on my 3rd mask (paper) and I will create a mold from it when it is finished. Wish me luck.

Anyone out there has any tips to harden the paper, actual mold making etc... I appreciate it.

Good Luck man :) i acually am from Serbia and i tried to find liquid fiber glass here,but no luck so far,what woud you suggest me to harden the paper?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back