Iron Man Mark VI WIP - polyethylene and rivets - solo build by a 13 year old

So, this started as me wanting to make just an Iron Man helmet. But then summer came up, and I thought, "Why not build the entire Mark 6 suit during the summer? I mean I've got all this free time so, I'll spend it doing what I love to do!"

It seemed extremely daunting at first, trying on this build, tackling it all by myself, but once I started, it caught on and now I work on the suit whenever I can.
Turns out I didn't finish the suit during the summer, but I did get a lot done, so my personal deadline is Halloween of this year.

I see Tony Stark/Iron Man as my role model so this is partly a tribute build.
I will be showing my past progress in a timeline sort of way, leading up to now.
This is a trashcan and rivet type of build.

Just to let you know, I am not a "noob" or noob to building, I am very experienced, as I have created and built stuff my entire life. I have my own methods and my own ideas that I am willing to share.

Special thanks goes to some of my friends, Kevin, Jourdan, Adam, and Arjun for being there when I needed to chat with them and and never doubting me.

My friends did not collaborate on this project at all, as I have clearly addressed to them that this is a solo build. And if they did try to collaborate, I quickly rejected them. I like to do things all by myself.

Okay, now that the intro is done, the pictures are next.

Last edited:
Re: Iron Man Mark 6 WIP

I got the whole helmet done. It's missing the air intake thing because I had to redo the top of the helmet since I had messed up by rushing.

Helmet fully pepped. I added in the cheek details myself. I used wood glue and nylon as a non-toxic, non-hazardous alternative to fiberglass and resin. It's superior to fiberglass and resin in every way except for two: it's not as rigid and not as waterproof. But it is way more resilient, more flexible, equally as lightweight, can't crack when dropped, and is still very, very strong.

I put 10 layers of nylon and wood glue so far. However, I am not done with it, and when I am finished adding nylon, the interior of the helmet will be all black.

Cool thing is, if it somehow gets a dent from an impact, all I have to do to fix it is push the dent back out and repair the cracked outer shell of rock putty. But if I do drop it, it most likely will bounce once and then go *thud* and not suffer any dents, with damage only occurring to the outer shell of rock putty which is easily repaired. Compare this to a fiberglass helmet, in an impact a fiberglass helmet would most likely crack and would be difficult to repair. With a nylon helmet, it's flexibility allows it to absorb the shock from an impact with no permanent damage whatsoever.

Some inside views of the interior of the helmet and faceplate.

Last edited:

Materials going to be used for the helmet. Using Durham's rock hard water putty as a non-toxic and non-hazardous alternative to bondo. Using polycarbonate for the eyes, repulsors, and arc reactor.

If you're wondering how the putty compares to bondo, the putty is easily sandable, very hard, and is very tough. It takes quite the number of hits (about 40 really hard hits) from a mallet to make it crack and fall off from the helmet. Why was I bashing away at my helmet with a mallet? Well, I just wanted to see how tough the material was before I redid the top of my helmet.

Last edited:

Got my rivets, rivet washers, and rivet tool to fasten the armor surfaces together. Got heavy duty snaps and a snap tool to make some parts of the suit removable so I can get in and out of it.

I started the suit by working on the forearm first. This is my finalized forearm after countless revisions. And there's my boxes of failed or obsolete templates.

I make all of my templates for the suit by myself. I make them as simple 2d images in MS Paint.

However, the helmet pepakura file is not mine and I am not taking any credit for it. All credit for the helmet file goes to Sharkhead and Dung0beetle I believe.

Last edited:

I feel kinda ashamed showing you my old bicep and shoulder bell since I am still unhappy with the way it looks. I know that I must revise it because I am revising it. I have finalized the shoulder bell, and have revised the bicep even further.

Edit: This bicep is a piece of crap. Go to the next page for pictures of the new bicep.

Last edited:

And then I moved on to making the template for the chest and waist.
If you're wondering why the parts are quite small, it's because I am only 13 and my body is still quite smaller than most of you guys on here. I template and draft in cardboard first, so I don't waste my trashcans and don't have to keep buying some.

Last edited:

Moved on to making the abs. I am ashamed about this one too. since it seems too small. Don't worry, I revised it too to make it bigger and longer.

I have a bunch of wire for the electrical part of this suit. I have a computer fan that will fit in the chest so I can cool my upper torso when I want if it gets too hot in the suit. The fan should run for around 30 minutes on a single 9 volt battery. I will tell you what the pull switches are for later.

Last edited:

And then so I got this brilliant idea: I can use pull switches to turn the repulsor LED's on and off when I want. I've seen other people use motion switches and potentiometers to get a similar result, I believe that is just too unnecessarily complex.

Last edited:

I do have have other parts of the suit templated, like the calf, thigh, flaps, back, spine, foot flaps, shin, and codpiece, but I feel like I must revise them first before showing them to you guys.

I also have a plan for the eyes so that there will be no glare and no obstruction of view so that I can have a clear, full degree of vision while the eyes still being illuminated.

Last edited:

I am open to any questions and any constructive criticism since your view on it what mostly matters and can really help if I've missed anything (which happens extremely rarely):lol.

Last edited:

I like the pull-switch idea for the repulsor. I really look forward to seeing how that comes out since I need a less complex way for that as well. Seems like it would be more resilient than the other methods I've seen, too.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back