Iron Man Mark IV Foam COMPLETED! STAN LEE SIGNED =D - WARNING PICTURE INTENSIVE!

jayjayn

Well yes this is another Iron Man Foam Build, this is my first costume build and pep job.

I have been on this forum for a few months now and been doing my build since then and now i'm ready to show my progress.

Originally i was working on a pep job of the Mark VI and realized from pictures that a foam build would be more suitable on time
and ease of the build over a fiberglass pep build.

I originally was using the foam mats that stealth recommended but i realized for my Mark IV build i prefered to use a thinner 4mm eva foam as used by Graphic Jordan, and some 2mm, 3mm foam for certain parts of the build. I decided to switch over to the Mark IV build since its easier to get a Arc Reactor for the Mark IV

I'm currently using modified robo3687 pep files that i modified to work with foam and my Silhouette SD, i'm also using some files of GLENN TECH's foam files modified to my liking and modified to be cut on my cutter as well.

Thanks to Graphic Jordan and indiefilmgeek if it wasn't for there threads i would have not figured out tips and tricks on what to do in this build. STEALTH's foam build vid's helped alot as well.

Helmet - MightyJohn's first cast won on ebay and installed his hinges - currently working on a modified version to work with my servo's
Gloves - Polyeurethane gloves from Zabana

I'm also working on gathering all the reciepts so everybody can get a idea of how much i spent on this build.

--MY FIRST PEP JOB

CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT THIS!! realized it was more effective setting up the settings like this over some recommendations that others have posted.

SIZE
WIDTH: 214
HEIGHT: 305
SIDE MARGIN: 15
TOP/BOTTOM MARGIN: 32

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

--COD PIECE IN FOAM - ENDED UP MAKING IT TOO BIG AND WILL THROW OUT THIS PART AND REMAKE IT USING GLENN TECH's FILES
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

--Custom $2 LED Eyes

I took apart a 9 LED FLASH light from the 99cent's store very hard to find, had to go to numerous stores to find 3.
I'm also using a white reflective sheet from a ipod nano cover.
1.JPG

I didn't have a circuit board so tried to do it in foam.
2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

I made the front diffused by using a CD case holder from a asian store and it diffused the light well.
5.JPG

6.JPG

I finnally got a proper circuit board and made the other eye.
7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

I ordered a Pololu Micro Controller and programmed it to open the servo's and light up the eyes.
8.JPG

9.JPG

Here is a video of my light up eyes i have it studder when lighting up like flickering office lights when turning on.
PEPAKURA IRON MAN HELMET EYES LIGHT UP - YouTube

--I RECIEVED MY ARC REACTOR FROM EBAY BUT REALIZED SHORTLY THAT IT STARTED FAILING AND CURRENTLY WORKING WITH THE SELLER TO GETTING A THIRD REPLACEMENT
1.JPG

2.JPG

--My NEW 22" HELMET FROM MIGHTJOHN FROM A EBAY WIN - VERY TIGHT AND HAD HIM CUSTOM MAKE HINGES BUILT INTO IT, CURRENTLY MAKING CHANGES TO THE HINGES TO WORK BETTER WITH THE HELMET
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

7.JPG

I didn't do any preping or filling because i had to rush it in a few hours for a party, going to redo the paint job later.

Painted with:
Duplicolor - Adhesion Promoter Part # CP199 $6.49 Each - Duplicolor CP199 - Adhesion Promoter | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Duplicolor - Dark Cherry Metallic Touch-Up Paint Part # BGM0449 $6.99 Each - Duplicolor BGM0449 - Touch-Up Paint | O'Reilly Auto Parts -
Duplicolor -Part Number: BFM0351- Dupli-Color/8 oz. sunburst gold metallic Perfect Match paint - 6.99
Rust-Oleum Paint for Plastic Spray Clear Coat Gloss - 254855

4.JPG

6.JPG

Using black acrylic to detail the fine lines around the helmet and smudging with a finger to make it weathered.

10.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

19.JPG

I had a lot of issues with a rush paint job in a few hours and ended up messing up the top portion of the helmet and repainting it for a party

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

Was lucky enough to make it to the party at midnight and have a lil fun.
25.JPG

26.JPG

27.JPG

28.jpg

Here is a video of the helmet with the eyes lightup and my issue with my hinges with my servo's
IRON MAN HELMET EYES LIGHT UP AND MOTORIZED HINGE TEST - YouTube

also here's the link to the thread with our progress on MIGHTYJOHN'S hinges
http://www.therpf.com/f24/iron-man-helmet-motorized-hinge-problems-video-126124/

--FOAM CHEST PIECE OUT OF THE THICKER FOAM - ENDED UP REDOING IT TO BE LARGER IN THE 4MM EVA FOAM SINCE I REALIZED THIS DOESN'T SEEM LARGE ENOUGH FOR THE CHEST AREA

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

--ABS PORTION IN 3MM FOAM - will be changing this to be overlapping so i can sit down, as suggested in another thread i can't find that someone did on a MARK V build

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

--NECK PORTION IN 2MM FOAM - so it would be more flexible and comfortable

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

--Neck and Chest Brace mounted with rare earth magnets

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

Got my dark red spandex zentai dark red suit from ebay - I specifically asked for the dark red suit isn't listed on ebay
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
14.JPG

the neck piece and neckbrace below aren't fully glued and doesn't have the magnet latches.
15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

--Arm in 4mm eva foam

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

--FULL Arm in 4mm eva foam , BICEP made from GLENN TECH's Foam Templates

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Using screw posts from home depot , and realized using a 1/2" screw was better and a 1/4" screw post

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

--Inspired by Graphic Jordan to make a custom top bicep portion to help hold the arm up on the shoulders

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

25.JPG

26.JPG

Last edited:
Re: My first costume build - Iron Man Mark IV Foam - PICTURE INTENSIVE!

Stunning work. That arm is amazing, and the chest looks great.

And, oh-shap, an electronic cutting tool used in Prep?! That's some next-level stuff man. Awesome.

And great job on the eyes. How's seeing ou of the helmet? I had a problem with back-glare off the inside of the bottom eye-socket. Made it real hard to see.

Keep updating us, this is great work.

Re: My first costume build - Iron Man Mark IV Foam - WARNING PICTURE INTENSIVE!

Very, very cool!

I love the cutter idea for pep. I love the use of multiple thickness foam to get the flexibility (or rigidity) you want for each part. And I love the fact that you're pulling the very best elements from other builds and putting them into one very masterful build.

You're doing a GREAT job! Can't wait to see more!!! :):thumbsup

Awesome work I have been working on the helmet for a month now lol.

I tried using my craftrobo to cut parts out but end up with problems when it gets to the tiny edges. Its fresh out of the box but do you then they blade is the problem? I use card stock.

This is one great thread and project! Looking great!

Paul

Looks great! Time to buy some foam stock!

haven't seen anything this nice on all of Reel Collectors!!! This is amazing ! well done !

Stunning work. That arm is amazing, and the chest looks great.

And, oh-shap, an electronic cutting tool used in Prep?! That's some next-level stuff man. Awesome.

And great job on the eyes. How's seeing ou of the helmet? I had a problem with back-glare off the inside of the bottom eye-socket. Made it real hard to see.

Keep updating us, this is great work.

Actually i don't have any issues with glare, and i can see pretty well, and yeah the craft robo helps so much in cutting the peps only wished it could cut the foam at the same time haha, i've been thinking of taking it apart and seeing if i rework it to allow it to cut out foam =D.

Thx so much stealth hearing that from you really motivates me.

Very, very cool!

I love the cutter idea for pep. I love the use of multiple thickness foam to get the flexibility (or rigidity) you want for each part. And I love the fact that you're pulling the very best elements from other builds and putting them into one very masterful build.

You're doing a GREAT job! Can't wait to see more!!! :):thumbsup

Thank You! Couldn't have done it with out your inspiration and your amazing build on your son's costume, im just hoping i can get it done by halloween.

Awesome work I have been working on the helmet for a month now lol.

I tried using my craftrobo to cut parts out but end up with problems when it gets to the tiny edges. Its fresh out of the box but do you then they blade is the problem? I use card stock.

you should look at your settings, what weight cardstock are you using? i recommend the 110lb stock from amazon Amazon.com: Wausau Paper Index Card Stock, 92 Brightness, 110 lb, Letter, White, 250 Sheets per Pack (49411): Office Products

and if your having issues with it ripping maybe you should adjust the speed settings and how deep of a cut it should be, i use the pink cap also. When i get home i'll look at the cutting settings i use for the 110lb cardstock, hope it helps.

This is one great thread and project! Looking great!

Paul

Thank you so much!

Looks great! Time to buy some foam stock!

definitely worth it!

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

nice detail bro...

thank you.

haven't seen anything this nice on all of Reel Collectors!!! This is amazing ! well done !

thank you.

WOW! I didn't think detail like that could be reached with that type of foam.Excellent work!

Agreed. This is bringing up powerful, powerful build-urges.

man... that is one awesome build:):thumbsup... more people are getting serious now

keep it up... i cant wait till its complete

--First foam paint test

THE HOME DEPOT OR LOWES
Plasti Dip 11 oz. Flat Black Vinyl Coating Spray $5.98 /EA-Each - 11 oz. Flat Black Vinyl Coating Spray-112036 at The Home Depot

then painted with the same material's i used for the helmet, thanks to indiefilmgeek for the method of painting the foam, i also decide to try out a different clear that took a while to find that works with foam and it seems like its not cracking still running tests, as long as you don't put more then a coat or two of clear it shouldn't crack and don't clear the edges of the foam just tape it off after paint before clear.

here's indiefilmgeek's thread for reference on the foam painting method.
http://www.therpf.com/f24/wip-ironman-costume-5yr-old-leg-boot-underarmor-9-26-a-113546/

Acrylic Latex Caulk used to fill in gaps before paint, haven't tried it yet - Search Results for latex caulk at The Home Depot

Rub-N-Buff Finish 1/2 Oz. Tube : Pewter - $2.76 + $4.86 shipping - used for the weathering effect, haven't used it yet but from pics of indiefilmgeek's parts it looks great, pewter i couldn't find in any store and found it cheaper on ebay.
Amazon.com: Rub-N-Buff Finish 1/2 Oz. Tube: Pewter: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

1.JPG

2.JPG

--HAND LED

Couldn't wait for the hand led's from a seller here to be available, so i ended up ordering a 100pc White SMD LED's from ebay and only cost less than $10 and just stripped down some 26AWG stranded wire and looped it to a circle and mounted each smd with the same polarity facing together so all the grounded side is inside and the positive side is on the outside.

I used the silloutte cutter to cutout a pattern i made of the dimensions of each smd in a somewhat circle, i just wanted to try to see if i could make it , i don't think a perfect circle will matter since it will be diffused by the white acrylic i plan to put over it anyway.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

--Polyurethane Casted Gauntlets made by Zabana

Decided that peping and fiberglasing my own gloves would be a pain to do, and opt out to buying a set from Zabana's sale thread.
http://www.therpf.com/f13/iron-man-gauntlets-taking-orders-3-left-finish-run-120464/

After impounded at customs i finally recieved it
1.jpg

came in well packed.
2.jpg

3.jpg

quick test fit, i knew it was a larger than my hand but assumed that would be fine with the undergloves and electronics i planned on putting inside of it.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

now time to use some thin fishing thread and use a glue gun to mount the string in, i realized after with the tension pulling on the thread it eventually can be lifted out of the dried glue so i plan on using super glue to seal the dried up glue after i finish the paint process. I only did this to test out how it will feel and holding things i will have to remove the glue later on so i can paint each individual piece.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

how i start gluing the pieces
17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

with the zentai spandex underarmor - link to where i purchased above, make sure to state dark red
20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

I realized its really difficult for me to hold a beer bottle or a beer can =(, since these gloves are a lil too big for my fingers reach so this is the only thing i will be drinking when i party in this costume.
25.jpg

The paint test looks really good! If the clear coat works for you, I'd love to know what product you're using. Jordan and I have been searching for something better for that, but haven't landed on a good cost-effective solution yet.

Keep up the great work!!!

Amazing build, and man zabana know's how to build a hand!

this is pretty awesome.
Thank a lot!

The paint test looks really good! If the clear coat works for you, I'd love to know what product you're using. Jordan and I have been searching for something better for that, but haven't landed on a good cost-effective solution yet.

Keep up the great work!!!

yeah the clear seems pretty good as long as i put a light coat i haven't had time to test the plastic clear to compare the difference, but i did notice a slight cracking noise on the corner of the piece but didn't see any crack but when i do flex it, it doesn't crack just creases the foam a little bit but thats obvious due to the paint anyway.

here is the the clear i bought that i found only at MICHEALS art supplies and it states its designed for craft foam in the back.

clear_coat.jpg

clear_coat2.jpg

Amazing build, and man zabana know's how to build a hand!
Thanks and yes he does.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back